News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy has an alcohol problem, he is meant to be rehabbing, he’s been kicked off planes, out of clubs numerous times, acting strange wasted at wafl matches, this is not normal behaviour
He may have an alcohol problem, but he is not rehabbing. He's been in full training since day 1 of this preseason.

Yep. Watch the media love flow through if he plays a single good game early in the season. “Freo’s persistence pays off”. “Harley repays Ross’ faith”. And whatever other load of carnage they wanna write. But just like the haters, they’ll sit there silently, secretly waiting for him to slip up before showing their true colours again.

If he does something worthy of being delisted, I’ld be the first to back the decision. But boy oh boy, how good would it be to get him up and running - people forget how good he is and it’s unknown if he’ll ever get back to that level. But you gotta back him in. Just pray he shows up for training on Monday morning without a hangover :cool:
Something worth being delisted?
2 games in three years because of unprofessional rehabilitation taking the cap space that should of being going to our under paid dual club champion not a bad start
If he kills it this year I will be chuffed but he needs stop sniffing his own farts and realise he is employed to play football so many people in the real world have to sacrifice social life’s for there employment and they don’t get payed hundreds of thousands of dollars but they do it

The guy has an alcohol problem, he is meant to be rehabbing, he’s been kicked off planes, out of clubs numerous times, acting strange wasted at wafl matches, this is not normal behaviour
Not sure how close you are to his situation but I personally don't feel close enough to him to make comments on his relationship with alcohol. Also he isn't in the rehab group

Something worth being delisted?
2 games in three years because of unprofessional rehabilitation taking the cap space that should of being going to our under paid dual club champion not a bad start
If he kills it this year I will be chuffed but he needs stop sniffing his own farts and realise he is employed to play football so many people in the real world have to sacrifice social life’s for there employment and they don’t get payed hundreds of thousands of dollars but they do it
“Unprofessional rehabilitation”... according to........ the media? I’ld say our S&C team have let him down more than he has let the club down. Also, there was plenty of money left for Neale, but he wanted to leave anyway. Harley probably doesn’t realise how good he has it, but neither do most of us. At least we have clean drinking water, no wars on home soil, and minimal natural disasters to contend with. But we generally take it all for granted. At least Harley worked hard to get to where he did, and so far hasn’t violated any AFLPA or Club imposed rules around drinking (since his last warning). And I haven’t seen or heard anything from the club or training watchers that would suggest Harley hasn’t been dedicated to his rehab - the media have painted a version of Harley and unfortunately for him, it’s stuck with a lot of people.

I'm not excusing Harley's behaviour but has anything he has ever done really been that serious? It just seems the media follow him around like a pack of wolves looking for any opportunity to add to his long list of (minor) indiscretions and trying to use the cumulation of negative stories to try and paint his character as him being the worst of the worst type of human being. Is the sum of it all really that bad though when compared to far more serious isolated incidents by a number of high profile footballers where it was mostly just swept under the rug? Are we all naive enough to think that other players (or any males in that age demographic) just immediately learn from their once off mistake? Are they all scrutinised as much as Harley has been? Is it just that the media knows the arrogant and ignorant supporters of other clubs (mainly one) love nothing more than reading why their club may be better than another? Or is it just an attempt to feel better about themselves by showing that all clubs can have as bad culture as West Coast in the 90s?

I just don't get how some can be wanting blood for someone over indulging of drugs and alcohol a few times yet we happily ignore when others get behind the wheel of a car (a deadly weapon) whilst intoxicated and put not only their own but everyone around them lives at risk. Or those that have physically abused their partners. Or those that have engaged in alleged non-consensual sexual relations. No doubt Harley's actions have been immature and disrespectful at times but they are chalk and cheese compared to these other types of serious incidents that can or did severely impact other people (not just themselves).

Several members of another football club in Perth have been involved in far more serious incidents than being asked to leave a premises in the past few weeks but it hasn't even made the papers. Is the public really that gullible to think that Harley is the only AFL player going out and over indulging or worse? I wish he didn't put him in a situation to be scrutinised but I think getting outraged about it is just playing into the hands of the media that loves to light fires and see them combust.
Well said.

You got a gig as a writer yet? Excellent stuff

Trust me guys if there was a real serious problem on the night video footage would have been played on all media outlets and splattered all over the internet

There is not an inch of space in a night club / bar / resturant that are not covered by camera's these days

Slow news times in the west

Pretty sure he was out in the Swan Valley with Matera, Tom Lynch and some other boys earlier that day. Instagram. What a wonderful invention. Speaking of stalking, if you have Netflix, watch You. It’s great!!!

Man gets asked to leave a pub - Cooperates fully. That doesn't even qualify as a decent conversation topic amongst mates for crying out loud.

I'm not a Harley defender here but this HAS to be the biggest attempt to clutch at straws I've ever seen. I know Perth media is poor at the best of times but this is just blatantly cynical to the point where it's really difficult to suggest it was only published because it's a slow news day. Pathetic paparazzi journalism.

I would say it's dumb of Harley to even put himself in that situation (I mean it is...) but this is such a nothing incident it really isn't concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst it seems like mountains out of molehills stuff you'd think he'd be a bit smarter considering his past indiscretions. Still, Ryan got hung out to dry for a move-on notice where people accused him of domestic violence yet nothing of the sort happened so you'd think Harley would just keep his head down during the off-season.

Would be great to see him kill it this year though, joy to watch when he is on.

If Bar Management/Staff/Security think you are too intoxicated then you will be removed. Liquor Enforcement were out in force last night, so I don't blame management for not wanting to risk being fined.

I get that, but I was more wondering about if they weren't causing any trouble (as one of the articles seems to state) do they have to get moved on just because they've reached their level of alcohol intake.

I mean can't you just sit and chat at a pub with mates and consume other things besides alcohol and enjoy the interaction with others, or is it more an issue that it won't turn over the cash flow enough for the pub during a peek period. i.e. you're taking up space and you're useless to the bottom line if you're not gonna be able to drink booze - which I'm assuming is still the No 1 selling point of a pub.

The latest I've heard is that Harley was buying schnapps and rubbing it on his calves on the instructions of Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt as a follow up to the calves blood treatment.

Understandably security thought he was pissed out of his brain and asked him to leave.

I'm so glad that back in my partying days pubs encouraged you to keep drinking no matter how blatted you were.

I get that, but I was more wondering about if they weren't causing any trouble (as one of the articles seems to state) do they have to get moved on just because they've reached their level of alcohol intake.

I mean can't you just sit and chat at a pub with mates and consume other things besides alcohol and enjoy the interaction with others, or is it more an issue that it won't turn over the cash flow enough for the pub during a peek period. i.e. you're taking up space and you're useless to the bottom line if you're not gonna be able to drink booze - which I'm assuming is still the No 1 selling point of a pub.

There are a lot of variables you have to consider when removing a patron:

1. How intoxicated is the patron? Are they completely *-eyed or are they just teetering on the edge (so-to-speak).

2. How crowded is the premises? If it is pumping then Bar Management are a lot less forgiving.

3. Has there been any incidents already? Crowd Controllers will be a lot less forgiving if they've had multiple physical ejections already.

4. Is the person in a group? If you cut someone off in a group, nearly every time they'll end up with a drink in their hand (you also need to watch them extra carefully to make sure they are doing the right thing), which means if you want them to leave they have a weapon in hand. You might have to slap the drink out of their hand. Don't forget the group will also want to have their say, so get ready for stupid conversations. This answers your second question: People are s**t and will do the wrong thing nearly always.

5. It is an offence to have an intoxicated person on a licenced premises, so fines for the premise and potentially for a Crowd Controller as well. If you think a Crowd Controller will take a hit to the wallet for you, then you are dreaming. This should answer your first question: It is against the law.

I think the establishment is responsible if you do something if they have noticed you're intoxicated.

The question will be "Why was there an intoxicated person on your premises?". Then you can enjoy the hospitality of LEU as they stand in the corner looking for intoxicated patrons to give you grief over.

This is why hot, drunk girls are removed from premises. They cause problems just like everyone else.

Hopefully all that's happened here is a bit of extra fraying of the slender thread that's keeping Bennell at Freo.

There are many plausibly innocuous reasons as to why he was asked to leave that beacon of rationality and reasonableness that is the OBH (aka GBH). Not least of which is a hypervigilance of the staff there to Harley's reputation (and possibly added to if he was there with a rowdy crew). We can only hope it is just one of those innocuous reasons.

He'll have to expect plenty of attention wherever he goes, it's just what it's come to, unfortunately.

Whilst it seems like mountains out of molehills stuff you'd think he'd be a bit smarter considering his past indiscretions. Still, Ryan got hung out to dry for a move-on notice where people accused him of domestic violence yet nothing of the sort happened so you'd think Harley would just keep his head down during the off-season.

Would be great to see him kill it this year though, joy to watch when he is on.
Not sure that nothing happened, his partner took out a temporary restraining order against him and they must have sorted it out later. He also hit a tree in his car and was charged with being 3 times the limit. They are young men and make mistakes, lets not see another Shane Yarran here. The media have a lot to answer for.

He isn't rehabbing at all is he? Wasn't he reported to be in full training?

He broke no laws, he left when asked, and he notified the club asap. How much more could he have done? He was with a group of guys who were drunk and they were asked to leave...as a group.

This is a nothing incident and if his name wasn't Harley Bennell then it wouldn't have been prime time news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back