News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Injured/not injured - people really shouldn't be riding this emotional Rollercoaster if they don't need to.

Clarity is the key though, if he's simply unlikely to be fit and firing in the first half (or even third) of the season we need to seek the top up option before March 15.

Our flag tilt is still a 3-4 years away, and when we're in contention it will likely be without Sandi, Mundy, Ballantyne and even Hill, Walter's and Fyfe will be in their twilight years.

Tough decisions need to be made now, some obscure pick in 4 years from now could be cemented in our best 22.

I think there is more chance of Harley coming good than an obscure pick becoming top 22 at this point. We have enough on our list that will not make it to best 22 in a 4 year period. So adding another one at this point makes no sense. If Harley does a serious injury 6+ weeks, then the tough decision can be looked at. For now, it is a no brainer to hold. Especially considering our new look team might actually show vast improvement in performance and results.

A work colleague has had hamstring issues for about a year, and ended up going to (apparently) the most respected Physio in Perth as they can't find anything wrong in the scans anymore and they can't work out why she is still having pain, and it seems that it is not uncommon that your body starts to think there is pain where there isn't if you have had issues in a particular area. The Physio has talked about trying to re-teach the body as to what is an injury and what isn't. Just sounded very similar to Harley's situation.

I can't talk directly to Harley's mental state, but I was once known as the guinea pig whisperer and I would be happy to assist where I can

A work colleague has had hamstring issues for about a year, and ended up going to (apparently) the most respected Physio in Perth as they can't find anything wrong in the scans anymore and they can't work out why she is still having pain, and it seems that it is not uncommon that your body starts to think there is pain where there isn't if you have had issues in a particular area. The Physio has talked about trying to re-teach the body as to what is an injury and what isn't. Just sounded very similar to Harley's situation.
Have experienced a similar thing, the body feels as if its failing and spasming but when treated "it's in your head", its a very challenging situation mentally and physically to try reteach the body.

Are there any other examples anywhere in the world of a professional sportsperson missing 3 years of their chosen sport due to a recurring calf strain, or is Harley unique?

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

These potential players in the mid season draft, with a WAFL/VFL/SANFL preseason/games in them - plus their regular job. How are they expected to just slot in with fitness, let alone a complete absence of game plan etc. While you need to be fit to play at the lower levels, a modern bottom tier AFL club would run rings around every top 8 AFL team from 2 decades ago, the fitness requirements are chalk vs cheese.

These potential players in the mid season draft, with a WAFL/VFL/SANFL preseason/games in them - plus their regular job. How are they expected to just slot in with fitness, let alone a complete absence of game plan etc. While you need to be fit to play at the lower levels, a modern bottom tier AFL club would run rings around every top 8 AFL team from 2 decades ago, the fitness requirements are chalk vs cheese.

That is why I expect the two most popular types of players who will be taken in these drafts will be strict role players (Rucks, Key Defenders, Key Forwards, tagging mids, unaccountable inside midifielders etc) and overlooked teenagers who missed out on selection the year before but have knuckled down and really excelled in the start of the next season, effectively drafting them early without an expectation for them to play that year.

That is why I expect the two most popular types of players who will be taken in these drafts will be strict role players (Rucks, Key Defenders, Key Forwards, tagging mids, unaccountable inside midifielders etc) and overlooked teenagers who missed out on selection the year before but have knuckled down and really excelled in the start of the next season, effectively drafting them early without an expectation for them to play that year.

That makes sense, thanks :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Central sensitisation. Part of it is adaptations in your brain, but also in your peripheral nervous system. Your body will start to pick up non-painful stimuli as painful due to how your nervous system has changed. Occurs in chronic pain issues, which it is safe to say could explain Harley's current scenario.

This happened with my nuts, I got punched in the nuts by my nephew and I had phantom nut punch pain for about a year, had all these scans and MRIs that showed nothing, once the scans came back clear the pain went away. The mind and body is weird.

This happened with my nuts, I got punched in the nuts by my nephew and I had phantom nut punch pain for about a year, had all these scans and MRIs that showed nothing, once the scans came back clear the pain went away. The mind and body is weird.
Seriously I think you should message Harley with this. "Nothings as bad as phantom nut punch pain". It might give him some chuckles and mantra to take into training and games!

This is why I reckon teams use it on younger players rather than guys in their mid 20s.

Draft them mid year to get them on the list and commit to them longer term as soon as possible. Save yourselves what could be a decent draft pick for the National Draft.

I do think the elite mature agers could have an impact to a point though. Would’ve thought some state league guys are better runners than half mid-draft 18/19 that are regularly getting games in the second half of the year for bottom six sides.

Its sucks when your brain loses faith in your body after long term injury. The injury can be the focal point of your life for so long that it becones part of your physcy. Even after the injury has gone.

Its sucks when your brain loses faith in your body after long term injury. The injury can be the focal point of your life for so long that it becones part of your physcy. Even after the injury has gone.

Train the livestock to avoid the ouchie and in instances you can just turn off the electric fence forever after if you aren't bringing in new livestock (or births etc). Except for goats - may their flesh rot in hell - or exceedingly tasty curries. You'd have a better chance at playing mind games on a rock than a goat, an electric fence is an idle Sunday challenge rather than a barrier for them.

Err... Sorry, goats tend to make me digress... The brain can easily be conditioned re: pain, that is the point of pain after all, don't do this current exceedingly painful activity as it is against your bodies best interests. Even if the reason it hurts is removed, you are dissuaded from the activity.

Train the livestock to avoid the ouchie and in instances you can just turn off the electric fence forever after if you aren't bringing in new livestock (or births etc). Except for goats - may their flesh rot in hell - or exceedingly tasty curries. You'd have a better chance at playing mind games on a rock than a goat, an electric fence is an idle Sunday challenge rather than a barrier for them.

Err... Sorry, goats tend to make me digress... The brain can easily be conditioned re: pain, that is the point of pain after all, don't do this current exceedingly painful activity as it is against your bodies best interests. Even if the reason it hurts is removed, you are dissuaded from the activity.
I think Bennell's GOAT potential has passed sadly. But I suspect you would be unhappy with that?

Last edited:

I some what like the idea of a cattle prod to stimulate and encourage performance of average performers.

It will encourage more effort, maybe it should be part of the runners messages from the coach to the players, to encourage and mentally train correct actions on field!

I some what like the idea of a cattle prod to stimulate and encourage performance of average performers.

It will encourage more effort, maybe it should be part of the runners messages from the coach to the players, to encourage and mentally train correct actions on field!
Some teams use match committee as that cattle prod 😱

The nutcracker, sweet

Goats..there is a reason the devil looks like a freakin goat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back