News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I some what like the idea of a cattle prod to stimulate and encourage performance of average performers.

It will encourage more effort, maybe it should be part of the runners messages from the coach to the players, to encourage and mentally train correct actions on field!

Is that you Darren Weir ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

As frustrated as we all are, it would be a very hard call to cut him when we know what he is capable of and still in his prime.

What’s he capable of and when was the last time we saw it?

I think that’s the point, we don’t know that he’s still capable of what he produced 5 years ago, but the most recent examples we’ve seen of him suggest that its long gone.

What’s he capable of and when was the last time we saw it?

I think that’s the point, we don’t know that he’s still capable of what he produced 5 years ago, but the most recent examples we’ve seen of him suggest that its long gone.
I know it's only training... but the few times I have seen him going full tilt it's quite clear he is one of the most skilled players on our list with a high footy IQ to go with it.

Quite confident to say if we managed to get him up to required fitness he'd be within our best 5 players.

But, no way should we be offering an extension unless he manages 10+ games imo.

Calf permitting, this news makes me want to give him one more year. Hopefully the responsibility of having a daughter will help him realise focusing on footy, staying out of the headlines for off the field stuff, can provide an excellent opportunity to provide a good living for his family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was mentioned recently that his training shows the skills and ability and all that. We know he is a footballer, an athlete, and deserved his high draft pick and he delivered for the suns, then things went south in a big way. No point going further here. He got to us and things just never improved... Or did they? Some could argue he has been relatively clean at Freo. I mean, it is was a rocky start, but things seemed to move in a positive direction. The West and 6pr will always look for headlines against a Freo player with a history, rather than looking in their back yard. Maybe this is me having a chip on my shoulder. Others may argue a big part of Lachie Neale leaving was Harley? We will likely never get the details of this.

At one side you have the coach, who has this weapon that is nearly ready. Unfortunately just when ready for deployment a problem shows up. The weapon is still the best in the world, so do you give up on it, or do you invest more in to it. We invested more. For the right reasons I believe.

OK, that analogy sucks, but you get the point. It was Peter Bell that had the final say and Harley was delisted, did not attend the Doig and then relisted - yep it was confusing.

So, some said we had not seen anything (from Bennell in 3 years). He was best on ground for Peel in a number of games, and a comment from one of the best players in the WAFL league in 2018 said to me (obviously this is me retelling a story after some time) "sometimes you would think you would know what was happening on the field, but then you would glance and the goal umpire was waving the goal flags - and you would think WTF just happened - Harley got the ball - oh right".

The guy is a freak, but he may never get a good run at it. I hope the occurrences are less severe and less often. I have no idea what it will mean when he runs on the pitch again. He will, I just hope we do not bother with Peel anymore. Bring him straight in. I am convinced that he is not a list clogger though. If the medical staff say there is a 50% chance of him playing 25 games in 2 years, and more after that, then that is a better probability than keeping someone on the list that will likely play 2 games a year, or bring in a player that will likely never play a game.

Save Harley! I will finish with, he needs to play 10 games this year, and show his stuff in those games. I would not see any reason for them to try and ease him through the WAFL. Once deemed "fit" he comes in on limited game time - say 55%. Then build to a maximum of 75%. We are all so invested in this game, I believe we just want the stars playing, and like it not, Harley Bennell is a star player in our team, probably if 100% fit, close to the best player in our team. Thanks for reading if you got this far. I know it is a controversial topic.

It was mentioned recently that his training shows the skills and ability and all that. We know he is a footballer, an athlete, and deserved his high draft pick and he delivered for the suns, then things went south in a big way. No point going further here. He got to us and things just never improved... Or did they? Some could argue he has been relatively clean at Freo. I mean, it is was a rocky start, but things seemed to move in a positive direction. The West and 6pr will always look for headlines against a Freo player with a history, rather than looking in their back yard. Maybe this is me having a chip on my shoulder. Others may argue a big part of Lachie Neale leaving was Harley? We will likely never get the details of this.

At one side you have the coach, who has this weapon that is nearly ready. Unfortunately just when ready for deployment a problem shows up. The weapon is still the best in the world, so do you give up on it, or do you invest more in to it. We invested more. For the right reasons I believe.

OK, that analogy sucks, but you get the point. It was Peter Bell that had the final say and Harley was delisted, did not attend the Doig and then relisted - yep it was confusing.

So, some said we had not seen anything (from Bennell in 3 years). He was best on ground for Peel in a number of games, and a comment from one of the best players in the WAFL league in 2018 said to me (obviously this is me retelling a story after some time) "sometimes you would think you would know what was happening on the field, but then you would glance and the goal umpire was waving the goal flags - and you would think WTF just happened - Harley got the ball - oh right".

The guy is a freak, but he may never get a good run at it. I hope the occurrences are less severe and less often. I have no idea what it will mean when he runs on the pitch again. He will, I just hope we do not bother with Peel anymore. Bring him straight in. I am convinced that he is not a list clogger though. If the medical staff say there is a 50% chance of him playing 25 games in 2 years, and more after that, then that is a better probability than keeping someone on the list that will likely play 2 games a year, or bring in a player that will likely never play a game.

Save Harley! I will finish with, he needs to play 10 games this year, and show his stuff in those games. I would not see any reason for them to try and ease him through the WAFL. Once deemed "fit" he comes in on limited game time - say 55%. Then build to a maximum of 75%. We are all so invested in this game, I believe we just want the stars playing, and like it not, Harley Bennell is a star player in our team, probably if 100% fit, close to the best player in our team. Thanks for reading if you got this far. I know it is a controversial topic.
It was Peter Bell that had the final say and Harley was delisted, did not attend the Doig and then relisted - yep it was confusing.

That would have been an interesting phone call. I'd like to see what Snuffaluphagus would make of that between Big Balls Bell and Colin Young.

Bugger you Frigate - you put a tear in my eye.
Go Harley......,

It was Peter Bell that had the final say and Harley was delisted, did not attend the Doig and then relisted - yep it was confusing.

That would have been an interesting phone call. I'd like to see what Snuffaluphagus would make of that between Big Balls Bell and Colin Young.

Hey there Bloodnut, I am all reading between the lines, there has been enough said about the Ross- Bell thing, but I like to think they had a diplomatic meeting, in which one gave the the death throat grab, and said something like "you will keep harley on the list", and then they repeated it. Not sure if this is what happened, but maybe Snuffa can shed some smell.

...He will, I just hope we do not bother with Peel anymore. Bring him straight in...

...I would not see any reason for them to try and ease him through the WAFL. Once deemed "fit" he comes in on limited game time - say 55%. Then build to a maximum of 75%...
this for me. WAFL is a waste of time for Harley. He knows the game plan, personnel, structures. Send him in instead of a Colyer or Shultz since our best 22 isn't available anyway. He will do more in 10 mins than they will all game. The first 3 weeks are winnable even if our bench drops down to 3 part way through. If he breaks down in an AFL game, then we know it's done. No more of this quarter at Peel, tightness at training crap. Throw him in the big time and he will either sink or swim. At least we'll know and can move on if it's the former.

Maybe he knows them from prior run in’s... ? Who knows

Jesse: loving all this attention before round 1, not even playing and I’m on the front page of the paper

Bennell: hold my beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Bennell has been in association with coffin cheaters and now wants to distance himself from them, then Harley is in big trouble.

I would be moving to another country if I was him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back