News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Although it's very unlikely - I would love him to be back playing footy. Such a shame that we haven't seen him showcase his speed and skill. It would be an absolute dream if we had him back at the pointy end of the season and we are in finals contention. I'm going to keep dreaming

Although it's very unlikely - I would love him to be back playing footy. Such a shame that we haven't seen him showcase his speed and skill. It would be an absolute dream if we had him back at the pointy end of the season and we are in finals contention. I'm going to keep dreaming
Pretty soon I'm winning lotto. And from my private box at the footy, I'll have the best view to watch Harley play.

Kersten at kids training last night. Reckons back playing in 2-3 weeks apparently.

None of the players (there were 5 last night) have any idea about Sandi's availability. Just not sure what the club thinks Sandi will bring to the field later in the year if he was actually available (even if we made finals). Hasn't played for over a year, fitness would be at the lowest for him in years, would push out Darcy or Lobb in that role who had helped get us to that position and had built synergy with the mids during the year, and, wouldn't we want one of those younger rucks gaining any/more valuable finals experience this year for our push up the ladder next year?

I think Sandi is an even topper bloke (than my high regard for him already) for offering to retire mid-season after considering the reality of the situation (more than the coaching staff seem to). If the coaches/staff thought him being around the club as a leader/mentor was the beneficial aspect, they could always retain him part-time as an assistant ruck coach and he can do his landscaping family business the rest of the time to get the best of both worlds?

Last edited:
Kersten at kids training last night. Reckons back playing in 2-3 weeks apparently.

IMG_0526.JPG
Last week’s injury update indicates 5 weeks. Should be around 3-4 this week. The West Australian don’t know what they’re talking about.

There was an article on AFL website indicates HB only two weeks away. I really doubt that if he sustained a grade 2 calf tear as was reported by Peter Bell only about 10 days ago.

Whether we have a pick in the mid-season draft will depend on a couple of things first whether there is a player we rate and second the selection we have - which at present is well down the list being in second place. We likely side down the ladder a little be end of May and we can see how the state league players we have our eye on progress over the next 4-weeks incl. the WA vs SA state game. If all that falls into place I’m guessing our doctors will then be consulted on two players being Sandilands and Bennell.

We might as well give them the chance over the next 4-weeks.

If the prognosis isn’t good for a comeback then move the worst one (or both) onto LT injury list.

At least with Sandi we know we will get and he played a solid batch of games in the first half of 2018. Bennell I loved his form back in 2012/13. Electrifying even but that was 7 years ago. He has played two games in the past 4 years and they were on reduced minutes. HB seems to flare his calf every time he builds his training load and will need a chunk of games with Peel. All the posters saying you just move him straight into the AFL team are on the same weed as those who played Meek in the backline.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 664838
Last week’s injury update indicates 5 weeks. Should be around 3-4 this week. The West Australian don’t know what they’re talking about.

There was an article on AFL website indicates HB only two weeks away. I really doubt that if he sustained a grade 2 calf tear as was reported by Peter Bell only about 10 days ago.

Whether we have a pick in the mid-season draft will depend on a couple of things first whether there is a player we rate and second the selection we have - which at present is well down the list being in second place. We likely side down the ladder a little be end of May and we can see how the state league players we have our eye on progress over the next 4-weeks incl. the WA vs SA state game. If all that falls into place I’m guessing our doctors will then be consulted on two players being Sandilands and Bennell.

We might as well give them the chance over the next 4-weeks.

If the prognosis isn’t good for a comeback then move the worst one (or both) onto LT injury list.

At least with Sandi we know we will get and he played a solid batch of games in the first half of 2018. Bennell I loved his form back in 2012/13. Electrifying even but that was 7 years ago. He has played two games in the past 4 years and they were on reduced minutes. HB seems to flare his calf every time he builds his training load and will need a chunk of games with Peel. All the posters saying you just move him straight into the AFL team are on the same weed as those who played Meek in the backline.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
sorry for any confusion, wasn't talking about Bennell (in the Bennell thread, I know my bad). Was paraphrasing Kersten about himself.

I find it odd that it would turn out to be a grade 2 tear when initially they were trying to determine whether it was injured at all (grade 1). Surely if its actually a grade 2 you're gunna know you're injured even if you're not yet sure of the extent.

Bennell - huge talent and can play
Downside - hasn’t played for a while, lingering injury concerns and most have lost some of his speed and power

I’d delist, can find similar players of ilk and class

Whilst I get where you're coming from to an extent (unavailability, lack of games) you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think we can find a similar player of his ilk.
Bennell - huge talent and can play
Downside - hasn’t played for a while, lingering injury concerns and most have lost some of his speed and power

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I get where you're coming from to an extent (unavailability, lack of games) you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think we can find a similar player of his ilk.

No player is like for like but some players offer a similar skillset
Cockatoo is one I can think of who is struggling due to injuries for the cats but is powerful, explosive and can affect a game in a similar way to how Bennell does. Marlon Pickett is a downgrade but somebody who can come in and offer a unique kind of skill set as well as some aggression for the contest.

Yeah you can -maybe in top 2/3 players drafted
No player is like for like but some players offer a similar skillset
Cockatoo is one I can think of who is struggling due to injuries for the cats but is powerful, explosive and can affect a game in a similar way to how Bennell does. Marlon Pickett is a downgrade but somebody who can come in and offer a unique kind of skill set as well as some aggression for the contest.

He hasn’t played for awhile but neither of those players are even in the same stratosphere as Harley for both talent and actual output so far.
In Pickett’s case he ll never even play AFL

De-listing because he can't get on the park, for off field misdemeanours or because he is at retirement age is one thing.

You need to go and watch his Suns games if you don't comprehend the talent that he is, he would be in the top 3 of talents of any team - GWS may be the only team with enough exceptional talents that he is edged out (possibly). Fair enough that talent means nothing if you can't get on the park, but you are deluding yourself if you think you can just go and get a similar player of ilk and class along with a loaf of bread and some milk, he is not a common commodity.

Love to see HB up n running for Freo......even for the tail end of the season, reminds me of Harry Kewell bugged by injury later on in his career also a talent not easily replaced. Fingers xxxx

Just not sure what the club thinks Sandi will bring to the field later in the year if he was actually available (even if we made finals).

I understand the logic in people looking at the long term future and questioning why would you play Sandilands, but ... if Freo manage to sneak in to the finals and Sandilands happens to be fit, he plays and gives Freo a chance of winning the cup.
His presence is immense and still very underrated by many.
(NB: Since Ross Lyon has been coaching Freo, 2012 onwards, Freo have won 66% of the games in which Sandilands played 70+% game time compared to 39% of those in which Sandilands hasn't played 70+% game time. Even in 2016-2018 Freo won 52% of Sandilands games compared to 18% of games without him).

I understand the logic in people looking at the long term future and questioning why would you play Sandilands, but ... if Freo manage to sneak in to the finals and Sandilands happens to be fit, he plays and gives Freo a chance of winning the cup.
His presence is immense and still very underrated by many.
(NB: Since Ross Lyon has been coaching Freo, 2012 onwards, Freo have won 66% of the games in which Sandilands played 70+% game time compared to 39% of those in which Sandilands hasn't played 70+% game time. Even in 2016-2018 Freo won 52% of Sandilands games compared to 18% of games without him).

All true enough, but none of those statistics had to factor in a Sandi who had not played for a more than a full calendar year before fronting up.

Dudes a veteran not a second year player.

True enough. He'd have a base fitness and elite level experience to overcome the worst aspects of a long time absence. But there is still how he fits in to a team/system that, if it makes finals, would be travelling fairly well without him.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon he could come in for 1-3 games late in the season and do well, I'm just not totally sold on the idea for long term benefit etc.

That said, the idea of Sandi/Lobb combo sound bloody fantastic, and if he happens to come in it wont be totally raw - they'll train for him so to speak ... yeah, maybe I could be convinced.

I said this to Dad last week.
Hypothetical that we get to the last round (not sure of it's a home game or not) and need to win to make finals. Do Ballas and Sandi get a farewell game? Or do we push for finals, leaving sentiment behind?
Round 22 is at home against Essendon, Round 23 is away against Port.

But we will hopefully be resting our gun players against Port.

I said this to Dad last week.
Hypothetical that we get to the last round (not sure of it's a home game or not) and need to win to make finals. Do Ballas and Sandi get a farewell game? Or do we push for finals, leaving sentiment behind?
Sentiment aside I still think Sandi has a role even if 80% fit in a finals push, Ballas might sneak into a team if we get a couple of injuries later this season though the form of Matera/Walters/Switta has pretty much cooked him as a best 22 guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back