News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just got back from the game with mixed results. With the crows making the positional changes of Seedsman and Talia swapping From CHB & Wing, Harley had the job on Seedsman at CHF with Taberner going to Talia on the wing.
Positive: Harley having a great game kicking 3 snagga's and giving off a few sausage rolls.
Negative:Harley getting scammed with no votes & Riley Knight dubiously getting the 3.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Just got back from the game with mixed results. With the crows making the positional changes of Seedsman and Talia swapping From CHB & Wing, Harley had the job on Seedsman at CHF with Taberner going to Talia on the wing.
Positive: Harley having a great game kicking 3 snagga's and giving off a few sausage rolls.
Negative:Harley getting scammed with no votes & Riley Knight dubiously getting the 3.

I think we're getting some cross dimensional interference here.

If you're from the future, can you tell me who kicks a goal for us next week? I'm finding it hard to pick. I want to win our goal kicking comp and based on recent form I can't see any Docker actually kicking a major except by accident.

Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I see

FUS_RO_DAH

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2012
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Fremantle
..... Bran?

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just playing Career Mode with Freo on the PlayStation hahaha. Funnily enough up to date it's had many comparisons. Lost a few close ones with a few bad plays, sandy, Ballas injured start of season, literally just got Blakely back from injury 2 games ago and strangely enough my last 2 games before the bye are the Pies and Brissy just opposite order and venue. Just had a tough game vs the Pies at home with Harley getting the 3 votes, about to go give it to Neal at the Gabba, Dixon leading the Coleman so far lmao.

Just on Harley it's surprised me how they're giving him full minutes in the midfield compared with him being built up and time managed. I think it's a good thing as he just has to go for it as is time running out, still a little of a head scratcher though. Fingers crossed it goes well. 🤞🏽

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I had finally thrown in the towel after his last setback.

but....

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news...Z9wGM3KYMrcN3TRbrOq5Ohou65wgSCKDn1bGPAUAhgDeM

"It's just exciting for him. You can see a bounce in his step. He looks a million bucks. He's lean, he's fit, he's really coming along."

Not sure I like the sound of that, could easily see this headline in a few days:
Bennell reports calf soreness from showing too much bounce in his step to coaching staff ...

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair enough sometimes that isn’t a good measure. Don’t get me wrong though Crowden has a way to go but from what I have seen he is trending albeit slowly in the right direction.

I’ve been to the last 3 home games where we have played Collingwood and each time I feel like I haven’t noticed Steel Sidebottom at all yet I check the stats and he has disposed of the ball 40 times. Crowden has a genuine dip. Makes a few bad disposals but obviously gets another 20 that go relatively unnoticed.

HB reminds me of a dreadful penny stock that was purchased at a mid range price but was all the rage to go gangbusters. For my example let’s call HB Carnegie Clean energy. Everyone was excited at first but Carnegie (HB) failed to deliver, struck some issues (ie got injured), missed out on government funding and went into administration (due to consistent calf issues that can’t be fixed). Anyway the stock value is so low now at 3 cents, everyone says why not keep Carnegie (HB) it will surely bounce back to that potential when we first bought yet everything points to that never happening due to damaged goods. So Fremantle hang onto Carnegie (HB) with unfounded hope that never reaps a return on investment.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Strangely enough we had Carnigie shares, hope that's not a bad omen! o_O
Go Harley!!

I'm really surprised he's been asked to play 85 midfield minutes. I can't see him as a midfielder and think it would have been best coming back in the forwards, similar to a Rioli.

I think its basically an all or nothing roll of the dice at this point, so makes sense to me to just throw him in there and see what happens.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm really surprised he's been asked to play 85 midfield minutes. I can't see him as a midfielder and think it would have been best coming back in the forwards, similar to a Rioli.
Maybe this is a "make or break" play. I'm sure the S&C guys would have a really good handle on his general fitness and have deemed that is sufficient for him to play 85 minutes split midfield and forward. In terms of his calf, I'm just not sure that there would be a big difference between running as a midfielder and playing as a small forward. Part of me thinks there would be more explosive acceleration required as a small forward where the load would be more constant as a mid.

We have eased his workload up slowly in the WAFL in the past and it really hasn't helped the long-term injury issues so maybe this is their way of seeing if he is a viable player moving forward. I wonder if Harley himself has had some input into this decision so he can either get playing or move on.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe this is a "make or break" play. I'm sure the S&C guys would have a really good handle on his general fitness and have deemed that is sufficient for him to play 85 minutes split midfield and forward. In terms of his calf, I'm just not sure that there would be a big difference between running as a midfielder and playing as a small forward. Part of me thinks there would be more explosive acceleration required as a small forward where the load would be more constant as a mid.

We have eased his workload up slowly in the WAFL in the past and it really hasn't helped the long-term injury issues so maybe this is their way of seeing if he is a viable player moving forward. I wonder if Harley himself has had some input into this decision so he can either get playing or move on.
I agree with that slowly eased workload protocol he was under in WAFL didn't help and I was one hoping he would be put back into AFL sooner.

However I think if we're wanting to play him as a forward then that's where he should play in WAFL. I'm unsure whether there is more explosive acceleration as a small forward but I'm sure someone knows.

I'm nervous for him and want him to do well and think he plays more like a Rioli and should be managed similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here's what Ross said about him. He did initially say midfield and forward but then said 85 midfield minutes.

Q. Will it just be limited minutes and where will he be playing? What are your plans for him?

RTB. He’ll play midfield and forward and basically really healthy minutes. Around 85 minutes, which is about midfield minutes. He looks a million bucks. He’s lean and he’s fit, he’s really coming along.

Q. How long do you think he needs to spend in WAFL?

RTB. Hard to put a number on it. I’m sure the hype will start, and the demands will start. I was probably a bit disappointed with the noise around Connor after 9 months off it does tend to start quickly. I understand it but it’s not realistic sometimes. I think Harley’s a handful of games in 4 years but we’ll deal with that as it happens.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I'm excited to see how he fairs. Hopefully this is a feel good comeback story and he's back with the boys at AFL level soon. My optimism is high!!!

Have they said that? That's good if that means they're going to give him x number of games. Did they say what x =?
Nothing of the sort has been publicly said.

Hypothetically, if they said two year extension from 10 games this year at AFL level - that would mean he would need to be playing from the bye. That gives him a few weeks of WAFL before coming into the AFL side.

Dare to dream

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here's what Ross said about him. He did initially say midfield and forward but then said 85 midfield minutes.

Q. Will it just be limited minutes and where will he be playing? What are your plans for him?

RTB. He’ll play midfield and forward and basically really healthy minutes. Around 85 minutes, which is about midfield minutes. He looks a million bucks. He’s lean and he’s fit, he’s really coming along.

Q. How long do you think he needs to spend in WAFL?

RTB. Hard to put a number on it. I’m sure the hype will start, and the demands will start. I was probably a bit disappointed with the noise around Connor after 9 months off it does tend to start quickly. I understand it but it’s not realistic sometimes. I think Harley’s a handful of games in 4 years but we’ll deal with that as it happens.
Yeah, I interpreted that as saying he will play 85 minutes between midfield and forward, and 85 minutes is what a midfielder would normally be expected to play. I don't read it that he will play all 85 minutes in the midfield - I don't think anyone runs that many midfield minutes.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Yeah, I interpreted that as saying he will play 85 minutes between midfield and forward, and 85 minutes is what a midfielder would normally be expected to play. I don't read it that he will play all 85 minutes in the midfield - I don't think anyone runs that many midfield minutes.
And what they say he will do and what actually eventuates will be determined on the day. He could be instructed to go at half pace for all we know.

MrDanggazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great first game back in the WAFL for Harley after playing out a full game of footy for Peel, while picking up 30 touches and 2 goals in a 5 point defeat to West Perth.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always had faith ... until last time with the "not injured but out for weeks on end". Don't wanna jump back on board in case Im a bad omen but man does this give you shivers. Hope he gets picked soon.

Cayman Docker

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Cayman Islands B.W.I
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great first game back in the WAFL for Harley after playing out a full game of footy for Peel, while picking up 30 touches and 2 goals in a 5 point defeat to West Perth.
View attachment 680437

Ain’t nothing wrong with those numbers, good on him.

I reckon get him on the park in AFL ASAP , it will do his confidence the world of good, Wouldnt hurt the Freo fan base either.

Hell he wouldn’t be any worse (form wise) coming back in - than half our lot last week.

Good luck to him for hanging in there...
Holding our collective breaths I dare say!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back