Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

He isn't worth close to that right now. They are openly saying they don't want him anymore. They are gonna have to take unders for him if they want him gone that badly.

All the players I mentioned aren't young chicks any more and I feel if the club wants win the race that would be the going rate. GC aren't going to take the Clancy's/Subans etc of our team.

The egg on our face from Sylvia is still pretty fresh too, just another reason why it won't happen sadly.

Was thinking the same thing although he does seem a little more inclined to the gangster side of things. Sonny was a bit of a bad boy but he was mainly just lazy.
Still I suspect its the same people denigrating Bennell in this thread as were screaming for us to delist Walters.

Walters was ours and we had a moral duty as well as the footy business duty of helping him come good. Bennell is not ours, he is someone else's problem and we don't really know what demons do or do not lie within that character.
Do not mess with our image and culture, the risk is too high.

Get him. I reckon the likes of Walters, Johnson, Hill, and D Pearce could really help him out and he would be an absolute gun for us.

Bennell has had problem after problem (that we know about) then he's caught having lines and obviously told to put his head in or your out. nek minnit the season is over and he's likely getting on it or having a big night out on the juice.

don't compare Sunny and Bennell.. Bennell has had his chance/s.

Bennell has had problem after problem (that we know about) then he's caught having lines and obviously told to put his head in or your out. nek minnit the season is over and he's likely getting on it or having a big night out on the juice.

don't compare Sunny and Bennell.. Bennell has had his chance/s.
Some would argue that that Walters had more than enough chances as well. Plus, bagging out a player for having a big night out at the end of the season?? Seriously???

What's a bouncer doing smoking a ciggie while on duty anyway?

Maybe Harley was trying to do him a favour before someone took a photo of him and showed his boss.

2nd Chance saloon at a different club could be the difference in him making the jump between promises and actions and how much really was in the latest incident 'an argument with a bouncer'.

But we would need to get in his ear and convince that Freo is the best place for him back home, family and strong role models. Can easily see Hawthorn getting him for nix though - if he works out they extend their run even more, if not they once again blame the player and say he was never going to come good rather than taking a look at themselves.

Some would argue that that Walters had more than enough chances as well. Plus, bagging out a player for having a big night out at the end of the season?? Seriously???

Nobody would argue that about Sunny.

If I were Bennell I wouldn't being doing it! I would be keeping things simple for a while or at least I'd be smart about it.

Scary good player when he is switched on! Worth a punt if we do the due diligence and decide he is not a lost cause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First and a fringe player would have to be it imo. He has some issues so they can't expect the world for him.

We won't get him then because that's not close.

There is at least 4 or 5 clubs after him. That alone plus the fact that most (hopefully all) teams will have a better first than us means that we would need way more than that.

Any club would give up their first for Bennell. We would need to do a Clarke + our first kind of deal. Or our first rounders for the next two years.

I'm not saying we should do it but that is roughly what it would take.

There is at least 4 or 5 clubs after him. That alone plus the fact that most (hopefully all) teams will have a better first than us means that we would need way more than that.

Any club would give up their first for Bennell. We would need to do a Clarke + our first kind of deal. Or our first rounders for the next two years.

Not "every club" Many clubs wouldn't want a player like Bennell to influence younger players into making stupid decisions. Plenty of clubs will say no to recruiting him.

What if bennell came out and asked to be traded home to sort himself out around his family...?

Because Gold Coast have effectively lost bargaining power by declaring he's up for trade, then that would accommodate us and not have to compete with other clubs....? Wishful thinking anyway - low chance of us getting him

Not "every club" Many clubs wouldn't want a player like Bennell to influence younger players into making stupid decisions. Plenty of clubs will say no to recruiting him.

Definitely more clubs would take him when compared to those that won't. Check the message boards on bigfooty right now. Bennell has lit the place up. Interest for the guy is sky high and most would back their club culture to set him straight. Him not being on the Gold Coast anymore would be a huge factor to some.

What if bennell came out and asked to be traded home to sort himself out around his family...?

Because Gold Coast have effectively lost bargaining power by declaring he's up for trade, then that would accommodate us and not have to compete with other clubs....? Wishful thinking anyway - low chance of us getting him

Yeah, it would still be way more than the worst first rounder in a weak draft to land him IMO. :(

Definitely more clubs would take him when compared to those that won't. Check the message boards on bigfooty right now. Bennell has lit the place up. Interest for the guy is sky high and most would back their club culture to set him straight. Him not being on the Gold Coast anymore would be a huge factor to some.

Yeah, it would still be way more than the worst first rounder in a weak draft to land him IMO. :(
Reality> Bigfooty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back