Welcome Harley Bennell

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by FreoRicci, Sep 7, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. Logue

Logue Suspended

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    That's rubbish - Bennell has a history of bevahioural issues, the first minute he's given some time off he writes himself off to the point of being ejected from a domestic flight, a combination of excessive alcohol, mixed with sleeping pills.

I also question the professionalism of the club - fancy giving him time off, in the middle of a rehab, almost, almost, condoning his binge drinking, putting it down to frustration and allowing him to head back to the Gold Coast where is behavioural habit really went of a cliff.

To the point his old club categorically asked its players not to associate with him.

Harley needs to go, he was acquired to add bite and the "two goals" needed to win a flag, we are now rebuilding, we need to create a high performance environment, he impedes this. Move him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Lach72

Lach72 Bam!

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
  3. wayToGo_

wayToGo_ Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    wtf? - think some posters need some valium stat.

M_rash likes this.
  4. Clems Knee

Clems Knee Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    You clearly have no idea whatsoever.

The first minute he's given some time off? Orly?
    His old club categorically asked its players not to associate with him? Orly?
    Harley impedes a high performance environment?

So you twist shit to suit your own crappy agenda. I find it hard to believe that you are not a troll.

5. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bears, Warriors
    Valium doesn't mix too badly with alcohol, Temazepam on the other hand you have to be very careful.

6. Banker

Banker Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I recommend Modafinil.

7. Logue

Logue Suspended

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Because I don't like our players being pulled off flights for being intoxicated on a cocktail of alcohol and prescription medicine?

Because I don't like players drinking in excess amidst a rehab program.

Because I'd like a professional environment as we transition and rebuild.

Yeh, I'm the issue here.

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN and heavho like this.
  8. heavho

heavho Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    fremantle
    I think it defenetly should be a strike against him. 3 strikes or 2 is the question. He needs to get out on the park in a game to show his worth to the team. The club has backed him with all the support he needs and he shouldn't be using his off time to dent the trust of the club. It's the club befor the player. If something like this happens again I would show him the door but hopefully that doesn't happen. Let's hope he gets a few games before seasons end.

9. tants

tants Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Bennell was on APPROVED leave from the club.
    Bennell was asked to leave a flight because Virgin BELIEVED he was affected by alcohol. He cooperated and left the flight.
    He may have taken a "sleeping pill", which can have the affect of (especially when combined with alcohol even in small amounts) APPEARING drunk. Nothing issued has said he WAS affected by alcohol (pesky lawyers).

So another version of events, is that he was on approved leave had a couple of drinks on a flight to Melbourne, dropped a "Sleeping pill" in the airport at Melbourne and was woozy and sleepy/appeared affected by alcohol. Left the flight without issue and obviously made it to Gold Coast on a later flight, to have a coffee with Lynch.

I'm 100% that he is not the first AFL footballer to take a sleeping pill and I reckon a few would have them with alcohol.

PapaJ, Van_Dyke, King Tenz and 5 others like this.
  10. DeanS

DeanS Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Perth
    No, Bennell is the issue. It's just that you seem intent on making the issue bigger than it is. That, to me and others I think = troll.

11. Docker82

Docker82 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    A strike? Are you serious? You realise that it's common practice for AFL players to take sleeping pills especially after night games. It's such a non-issue it's never discussed but some of best current/former players in the game do/did it regularly. And to take one before a flight - well if you want to sleep on a flight it makes sense I would've thought.

Getting a strike for a sleeping pill (and/or alcohol) is truly the dumbest thing I'll read today and I'm saying that before 8am.

G Mus likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. DudleyDocker

DudleyDocker Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    NE Patriots
    Mate, I just had a quick look at your posting history and without too much analysis you have written off (in less than 100 posts I might add):
    • Harley Bennell
    • Brady Grey (he won't last, he's not good enough)
    • Michael Johnson (he's had his day, get him out and get Collins in)
    • Joel Hamling (I'm still not sure how they managed to sell us Hamling. He's not a bookend by any stretch and struggles to put on weight, offers little offensively.)
    • The club's recruiters (We let the highest rated key position forward in the draft go because we wanted Hamling and Kersten to come across, the methodology at our club is out of whack.)
    Maybe you should wait until you earn your stripes before you start telling us how shit everyone and everything is. Otherwise the logical conclusion people make is that you are on here to troll.

13. lw11

lw11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    I'm pretty sure AFL players have come out and said that it's not uncommon for them to take sleeping pills after night games because there's still adrenaline pumping from the game and it's also not uncommon for players to load up on caffeine before a game to get a buzz. I would think it's pretty common for these players to also have an adult beverage or two with said sleeping pills after these games to try and unwind and get a decent night's sleep. The only difference being Harley was at an airport about to board a plane.

14. heavho

heavho Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    fremantle
    So drinking alcohol while on a rehab program is acceptable? That's just fantastic. Being a professional athlete and getting paid big $$$ you should know better. Yes by all means after the season but while in rehab,having to not yet play a game due to injury isn't the right way to go about it. Especially with the media spot light is on you it's just silly to do those types of things. Even if it isn't that big.that's why everyone is talking about it. It's a headline for a reason and doesn't make it look a good thing for the club.

15. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bears, Warriors
    I think best case senario is he had 3-4 beers and maybe a pill or 2 too many and looked a bit dopey. Those sort of drugs have never really affected me that much but can really knock some people over.

I also wonder if it was a middle aged white guy wearing a suit whether he would have been just let on.

UFO Tatsu, DeanS and Marty Whitelaw like this.
  16. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    According to Kim Hagdorn on the radio today, Harley has decided to cut his trip short due to the negative publicity that this incident has caused. He is returning to Perth today.

mike91, lw11, UFO Tatsu and 1 other person like this.
  17. mightymouse75

mightymouse75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wimbledon AFC
    Give the man some credit. It would be difficult enough for this guy. He has come over here and been unable to play footy. He would be struggling.to an extent. Angel? Maybe not. I don't think he has done too much wrong. So come out.of your glass houses guys. Most of us were young and dumb and he has come from a troubled past and seems to have come a long way. He is no shane yarren or b. Cousins

FreoMonocle, lw11 and UFO Tatsu like this.
  18. UFO Tatsu

UFO Tatsu Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    That is pretty sh*tty for him if that is the case

jinxd, Allikat and lw11 like this.
  19. UFO Tatsu

UFO Tatsu Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Maybe he is a nervous flyer?

lw11 likes this.
  20. Keys

Keys Not Bitter

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Bengals
    Pav for AA has been a troll since forever and has had more usernames than cousins has breached AVOs

G Mus and UFO Tatsu like this.
  21. Clems Knee

Clems Knee Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    How can you tell if a (or that) poster is Pav for AA?

22. Ressies runner

Ressies runner Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    What a light weight

23. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bears, Warriors
    Not really if it was mixed with 3-4 sleeping tablets.

24. Ressies runner

Ressies runner Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Now we're talking, that has the makings of a good flight right there

ritz, UFO Tatsu, lw11 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Okinakashi

Okinakashi Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
    It's funny. I saw HB out on the town not long after he moved over to Perth.

I saw him walk into the bar and straight away thought he was blind drunk. He looked "wobbly" and "loose".

Oh dear - what have we done here...

As is was a small bar, I kept an eye on him and he only drank water all night. Even later in the night he looked "wobbly". So I guessed that he just moves like that.

Long story short. I've seen him out and he looked plastered, but it appears it's his natural state.

Things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

UFO Tatsu, FreoMonocle and scon like this.