Welcome Harley Bennell

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by FreoRicci, Sep 7, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. freo1997

freo1997 All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Yeah you know what i mean. Do we ease his training load? Not so much repetitive sprints?

I honestly don't see him getting through 1 wafl game.

Since we got him, we've been waiting to unleash that x factor we haven't had for years.But in all honesty brad hill has shown some x factor, our forward hasn't looked this good since 06 and we have found a way to close games.

The team seems to be really bonding right now and they all seem to be real mates playing for each other. Its an exciting time to be a freo supporter. The bennell fiasco is bad, but it's one bad egg. Lets just keep winning and maybe just maybe..play September. That's more important than any individual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Carnthedockers

Carnthedockers Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Yep, but guys like bennell dont grow on trees, so its human nature to put up with more. I for one could not have dreamed our recruits would have performed so well, particularly hamling and kersten. To think how young our team is, and how quickly we have turned it around is staggering. Harley is the cream on the cake. This list is capable of a flag. Not necessarily this year.

FreoMonocle likes this.
  3. shepp

shepp Premiers

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Box Hill, Man City, WADA
    I don't understand what he's done wrong? He just went out and spoke to a player (relative?) during a break... I've been down at Box Hill and seen Hawks players doing the same thing... I would have thought it's a good thing... what's the issue here?

Square Peg likes this.
  4. StingBitten

StingBitten Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    The Ping Pong Youth Auxillary
    I don't get it either, some calls of him 'staggering' and acting out but I didn't see any of that.

5. freo_leo29

freo_leo29 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    Asked the cameraman not to film him, which hardly anybody seems to be reporting which has made this whole ordeal pretty confusing.

Would assume he is in trouble for that and not really in trouble for speaking to Traye on field, hell it looks like he waited until the huddle was over and spectators are allowed on the ground at breaks in the WAFL anyway.

EDIT: but honestly what it comes down to is this is Harley and the WA media love a story, nothing will stop this except getting him out onto the field

shepp likes this.
  6. ydraw

ydraw Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I don't think it's that. I think it's that he had words with the Channel 7 cameraman at the game and later interfered with some equipment.

shepp likes this.
  7. IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
  8. ChimpaWompa

ChimpaWompa Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
  9. Carnthedockers

Carnthedockers Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Harley was definitely intoxicated. I would say that's why he's been fined.

Lachy96 likes this.
  10. MadDocker

MadDocker Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    AFL player that lives in Perth and doesn't play for the Eagles. That's enough for Ch7.

11. TheMcManusNose

TheMcManusNose Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Vancouver Canucks
    WAtoday is really going full ****** with the clickbait today.

I still actually can't really fathom what he's done wrong here. I've seen randoms poking around WAFL huddles and i've abused channel 7 cameramen quite directly. Of course I am not a public figure with a notable past so i'm assuming that's just it.

Van_Dyke, yoong and UFO Tatsu like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. kp junior

kp junior Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    freo
    It seems he was off his tits in the middle of the day on tv, and abusive to a tv cameraman. Let's not go all Eagles fan denial on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. TheMcManusNose

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Vancouver Canucks
    Oh look we should be under no illusions about the extra-curricular activities of many of our current and former players, not just Harley.

But I am struggling to see what you're suggesting here. Didn't seem to be sauced from the vision and reports. Maybe the club's quite harsh penalty is evidence in favour that he was, but you'd assume the media would just report that if it was known. Not really seeing the offence commensurate with the response on this occasion.

14. AAACockburn

AAACockburn Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Team Gil
    That would be eating away at him,he would so want to be a part of that and his body is letting him down.
    He would be so frustrated that running off the rails a bit would be understandable.
    Though he really should try and be a little more discreet about it.
    Walking around in public looking intoxicated is not a good look especially if you have already had a minor indiscretion recently.

15. kp junior

kp junior Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    freo
    Did you hear the club denying the accusations of him being drunk/high, as made by Langdon etc? No neither did I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN and Forever Blue like this.
  16. E Shed

E Shed Fremantle Obsessive

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I've heard from enough sources I trust that he was definitely pissed at the game on Saturday. Not having a drink, drunk by game time Saturday afternoon. He's obviously prone to having a few too many at times, hardly the first AFL player to have that problem.
    As Ross says - support the person, challenge the behaviour. Its that simple IMO.

Kram, Forever Blue and meima like this.
  17. TheMcManusNose

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Vancouver Canucks
    No, but i'm still not particularly convinced by that. The club has seemed pretty recalcitrant to make any statements about him unless circumstances really force it. Who knows really what happened, compared to previous incidents though this one seems pretty who gives a flying shit.

18. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Just need to reboot. giphy.gif

19. Dirty_banchez

Dirty_banchez Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Ross told Bennell not to drink. He got pissed at the Peel game. Now Bennell's wallet is $5,000 lighter.

If he keeps going the way he is going then he will gone.

20. ydraw

ydraw Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Is it really so hard to believe that a known pisshead was pissed?

DanWA, WeaselWJ and IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN like this.
  21. Big Animal

Big Animal Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Cockburn Doctors
    drunk Bennell + dodgy calf > suban + Pearced

I waz gud at maths

yoong and UFO Tatsu like this.
  22. PurpleEyes

PurpleEyes Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Perception is Reality!

While the Eagles biased media is filling the news with negative clips and articles of Harley, Freo needed to respond in some way, irrelevant of what they believe. By declaring they have done an investigation, fined Harley and recommended that he seek professional help, they are one step closer to being able to terminate his contract (which still has almost 2 years to go at a substantial cost to Freo's TPP salary cap).

Since Harley's repeat calf injuries in November 2016, I'm sad to say, I've struggled to believe how he is ever going to debut for Freo.
    The older he gets and the more calf injuries and scar tissue he has, the harder it is going to be for him to overcome these problems.
    Even after his visit to Germany and treatment on his bad right calf, he still managed to re-injure his left calf in April.
    As reported, all these injuries must be absolutely devastating for Harley. Allowing him personal leave in April screamed to me that Freo medical staff were also doubting whether Harley's calf problems can be resolved. During that personal leave, on his way to the Gold Coast, without the close eye and support of Freo, he managed to find himself in some trouble when he was denied his flight due to alcohol intoxication.

So, Ross Lyon's current public declaration that Harley will be playing for Peel in 5 or 6 weeks may be pie in the sky, but it is a very good strategy. It shows Harley the club believes in him and will support him. I think the medical staff may need to treat Harley very different now that they understand the usual rehab and calf strengthening and loading processes just aren't working. I think they may believe time may be the best option. But Harley has shown that he is possibly not the sort of player who can walk away from the club, rest up his calves and come back in 6-12 months time (and I don't think he deserves to be judged harshly for that). So I can see the fitness staff taking a very soft approach to Harley. Do a light rehab, get him running and let him play limited minutes for Peel reserves. He may need to do that for the rest of the 2017 season, but I think that would be the healthiest environment both physically and mentally for Harley in 2017. If he can get through the rest of the 2017 season without any new calf strains, then he may just have a chance of getting through a 2018 pre-season and then anything's possible.

Irrelevant of what I believe, I still hope Harley and Freo continue to strive to overcome his injuries and I still dream of the day he plays a full game for Freo.

Gimme the Fyfe likes this.
  23. Tayl0r

Tayl0r Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Harley Bennell has already started running

ritz, Allikat, Dormammu and 4 others like this.
  24. salim malik

salim malik Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:

Harley trained yesterday .

ritz, Allikat, Van_Dyke and 4 others like this.
  25. wayToGo_

wayToGo_ Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Running drugs perhaps.
    Training drug mules?

#FUmedia