Rumour Harley Bennell

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
I can see this being a bit of a media beat up- I am sure that both parties will discuss what happened and not refer to idle talk in the media. At worst he's had a bevy at the footy and gone to chat with his cousin at the break to give him some advice. He's done nothing illegal.

However, if it does turn out that this was an alcohol related issue, I would really want to honestly ask Bennell whether he is really being serious in his rehab in all respects? Alcohol is known (and has been discussed in this thread) to delay the recovery process- if he has an issue with injuries then he may need to consider his consumption of it for a period of time. He is a professional athlete after all.

The unfortunate part in all this is that it is detracting from a very good win yesterday. Having someone like him fit and firing later in the year could be a massive boost.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Knowing the tight leash Freo keep the Peel staff on it would be surprising if he said anything else.

Yeah, Peel coach lies under instruction from Fremantle officials, we'll add that to another part of the rumour - or you can start another thread for it.

Orange C

Senior List
Jul 28, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, Peel coach lies under instruction from Fremantle officials, we'll add that to another part of the rumour - or you can start another thread for it.
Cam Shepherd is a defacto Freo official. Doesn't mean Harley did or didn't do anything wrong, but him saying that has as much weight as a coach saying they didn't see a controversial incident in their post match presser.

Heard a whisper he's being let go
Lol

You really shouldn't pay too much attention to those voices in your head

They're not helpful

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Only 24. He will be back

Not sure about that, it reminds me of the Andrew Lovett situation where bad news just seems to follow him around and could finish his AFL career.

AFL clubs these days need to maintain a squeaky clean image so they're less likely to keep a player with off field issues that puts the club in a bad light.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
but yeh its just because he interrupted the coaches address at the break :drunk:

some fans cant see past the denial to defend their club
And some people take great joy in seeing players lives ruined by stupidity and inept "journalism". Some people like to sit back comment on other peoples lives like it's nothing.
Some people are just absolute s**t, really.

You know what you remind me of, StCicatriz?
A little dog, yapping away as loud as he can because he knows the big dog can't get through the fence.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
It's just not a hanging offence to have a couple of bevvies at a footy game and to give his cousin advice. I'm sure you'd like it to be but it's not. Storm in a teacup.

Not wanting to get involved in a s**t fight but I've experienced first hand the behaviour exhibited by Harley in that vision & thats beyond a couple of bevvies, thats the day after the night before & probably the day & night before that. He wasnt misbehaving, probably wasnt capable.

I want to see him back playing as he's a loss to the game but fear he's walking a knife's edge at the moment.

Back