Slippery Saints

Draftee
Oct 5, 2004
Los Angeles
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda
Just wondering if we look at adding him as a delisted free agent?
Apparently 6 Vic clubs have spoken to him and Sydney have been linked for a while.
I would think the Tiggers and Hawks would be looking at that money ball low risk/high reward pick up they do so well.
We are lacking free list spots but I would think Harley would be of more value to our list than Newnes (who I have been a fan of until last year).
Also, does anyone think Nathan Brown would be willing to sign with Sandy as captain and assistant coach (assuming no other AFL team picks him up)?
I think he would really be a massive coup for Sandy. Just seems like such a leader and positive influence. We really need some stability down there. Gilbo and Nate Wright didn’t work out last year (does anyone know what happened there?)
Any good, I digress.
Bennell as a delisted free agent and Brown to Sandy as Captain/Assistant Coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookie Brown, draft Bennell late if he’s still there. Ideally you’d like to watch him dominate the WAFL (?) and have a crack at him the mid season draft but I think he’ll get snapped up prior to December.

Give Brown another 2 years. We need guys like that around the club. For mine, I'd definitely give Bennell a rookie spot...fear we might be scared off by the Freeman episode though.
Yeah or the bikies turning up to Moorabbin demanding payment or Bennell wandering onto the field absolutely cooked and giving advice to teammates

If we won a flag 2 years ago, sure, why not take the risk? But right now? I don't think so.

Don't need one guy potentially derailing the side.. All he needs to do is be the bad influence on one or two younger guys and it could be disastrous. For all I know he could have potentially changed his life around but after all these years of him not playing footy, I just don't see much upside.

Would much rather take a punt on a mature aged player like Geelong did with Tim Kelly a few years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no evidence he's turned a corner or is better in anyway. Freo told him he had one chance left, he was in the papers again in no time at all. Also, he hasn't been a good player in years, and he's barely gotten on the park since going to Freo.

I'm all for second chances, but signing him up would be closer to enabling him than giving him a chance.

If we pick him up. the vultures will be following him everywhere and if he stuffs up we'll get smashed. More risk for us than most imo. Let him go to a club whos **** don't stink, like Sydney

We're not in a position yet where we could or should take a risk like Bennell
What position do you need to be in to take a risk , If he is a rookie he costs us bugger all , if he comes good you get an AA talent

Without knowing s**t about his personality etc and judging solely on footy ability I'd have him as a rookie.

The club will know whether or not he is the kind of person we want around the joint so i trust them to make that call

i dont think having the strong indig group will help with his problems ... from my understanding he believes he doesnt have a problem.. he is still in that denial phase where he takes the drug regularly but thinks he isnt addicted... thats not a culture issue thats a medical professional rehab clean up 12 step program type issue .. our club wont touch him with a barge pole ... my understanding is we looked down that barrel when he left GC and quickly turned and ran ...
he is a fantastic talent and if he is lost from the game it is a terrible shame but until he is ready to help himself nothing is going to help him
at the moment you could say he is a functioning adict but that can slipp to a Ben Cousins very quick ... and from what i was told about Ben's new profession its a mighty fall from grace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back