Harness Racing

Remove this Banner Ad

Middle round of heats tonight.

Trotters heat 1 and Kyvalley Blur proved the rest of the first heat are just outclassed in this series. American driver Jody Jameson once again butchers Maori Law.

Trotters heat 2 and Tornado Valley draws first blood over Speeding Spur. Used his gate speed to aplomb and was all over. As I said earlier the mile not Speeding Spurs go so its not necessarily a pointer of things to come on grand final night.

Pacers heat 1 and as expected Wrappers Delight led and won. Some massive beaten runs from Tiger Tara and Spankem.

Pacers heat 2 was most affected by scratchings. Im Pats Delight massive as was Im The Boss. Franco Nelson and Joes Star of Mia perhaps a shade disappointing. Cant Refuse good.

Pacers heat 3 weakest heat and Cruz Bromac gets the biscuits again

Power rankings below:

1. Tiger Tara ($5)
2. Cruz Bromac ($4)
3. Pats Delights ($8)
4. Spankem ($4.20)
5. Wrappers Delight ($8)
6. San Carlo ($6.50)
7. Im The Boss ($51)
8. Galactic Star ($14)
9. Joes Star of Mia ($101)
10. Franco Nelson ($51)
11. Maximan ($51)
12. Cant Refuse ($51)

Cruz Bromac hasn't been extended, I actually think Pats Delight and Spankem have put in better performances its just that Cruz hasn't had to do it yet so still sits in front. Tiger Tara and Pats Delight fans getting good value.

Honourable mentions to Audi Hare and Mach Doro but it looks down to the top 4 (even be willing to risk Cruz Bromac as that price), and maybe San Carlo if he just find a little extra which he is capable of.

Wonder how many multis crashed and burned tonight on Rupert of Lincoln in the last. Was a painful watch

Hard to see TV being rolled if it draws the front in the trotters final, showed enough toe to cross from 7 unextended. A bit more open if it draws the back row and has to work outside the leader.

TT was strong in the death over an unsuitable trip last night, should win over the longer trip at Cranbourne and on track for the final. I wasn't as disappointed in San Carlo as most, didn't seem to be fully extended just couldn't sprint quickly enough when the came home so fast in the last qtr. Race was set up for Wrappers last night but can't see it winning the final, slim hope with a low draw. Cruz Bromac bang on track and Spankem impressive both runs so far

Fields are out for round 3 of heats.

Trotters
Heat 1 Tornado Valley from Save Our Pennies/Maori Law/Tough Monarch F4. Save Our Pennies has had some great draws this series. Hopefully Jamieson doesn't butcher Maori Law. Tough Monarch bad draw but should be the best of them running on late.

Heat 2 Speeding Spur should win and Kyvalley Blur finally fairs ok at the barrier but looks like he is going to have to death seat.

Pacers
Up to the mile and a half + trip now so this will be the best guide to the final. Some more vital crossover form will occur too.

Heat 1
Joes Star of Mia gets a chance to get some much needed points and force its way into the final here. Terrific mile form at Menangle this season and also this is an extra 950m he did rattle home against Tiger Tara over 2300m 6 weeks ago. He'll give Wrappers Delight a great run into the race. Spankem V Galactic Star will give us some good crossover form from prior heats.

Heat 2
Cant Refuse gets a fantastic draw yet again to score valuable place point and get into the final, probably wasn't expected to make the final but he will hand up here to Tiger Tara and it will be a procession. San Carlo will come around to the death at some stage and should be able to stick on for a place - I doubt there will be enough pace in the race to really burn him so should stick on well.

Heat 3
A shame Pats Delight has drawn there as a chance to see him and Cruz Bromac go toe to toe would have given us some good crossover form for the final. Silver lining for Pats Delight is he is virtually qualified so can have an easy run here. Battle for lead will be interesting and I'd say Franco Nelson needs the lead in order to try and qualify for the final. Being a heat Cruz Bromac may not be busted for the lead.

Last heat is always interesting up in distance but can be a trap. Those with enough points already looking to get soft runs and conserve a bit for the final after 3 runs in a week, others all out to get in if they're chasing points

Last heat is always interesting up in distance but can be a trap. Those with enough points already looking to get soft runs and conserve a bit for the final after 3 runs in a week, others all out to get in if they're chasing points
Yep these can be practice heats. All they want to do is qualify for the final so a lot are driven cold. Might see a few rough results.

"Hey, lets go to the harness races for a night out"
"yeah great, where are they?"
"Melton"
"Melton? backwater Melton out at whoop whoop?"
"Yep thats the place"
"yeah not if you paid me a million bucks"

They have taken the track away from the people. No one wants to go to Melton. I am not sure of the latest figures but i do know Harness racing's turnover has taking a big dip in the last few years, No one wants to bet on it and no one wants to go. Its a shame, they used to have a good product
'

Anybody ever tried getting to Melton or Menangle from the city via public transport. There is no stop anywhere near the Melton track and Menangle is nearly 2 hours by train.
I used to go visit friends in Sydney when the Miracle Mile was on at Harold Park every year. Loved it. Went once to Menangle. It was on a Sunday afternoon. Never again. No facilities, nothing.

Melton was chosen because HRV owned that piece of land. Too bad they couldn’t build a good track with a decent stand and facilities. Too busy getting money from the scum of Melton via pokies.

Trotters heat 1 as 54Dogs pointed out was just lucky Tornado Valley got through without incident in the final 200m! Great win.
Trotters heat 2 very good win Speeding Spur.

Tornado Valley $1.60 for final and Speeding Spur $3.60 pre barrier draw. Tornado Valley looks like it has lost a bit of condition just watching on TV, despite winning 16/18 in Aust whenever it hasn't gotten an easy lead and had to race hard in the running line plenty of trotters worse than Speeding Spur have finished close by. I wouldn't be writing off Speeding Spur just yet. Tornado Valley deserved favourite yet but at the odds rather be on Spur. And hey if it gets beat I can still be happy with an Aussie trained winner!

Pacers heat 1 Spankem wins again, was just too good for them. Galactic Star battled on well.

Pacers heat 2 Tiger Tara very good. When will Todd McCarthy learn you don't need to put the handlebars down in the 3rd quarter. He does it so often and backfires a lot and just got lucky tonight.

Pacers heat 3 Cruz Bromac wins but Pats Delight massive.

Power Rankings
1. Pats Delight ($8)
2. Tiger Tara ($4.80)
3. Spankem ($4.20)
4. Cruz Bromac ($4.20)
5. San Carlo ($7)
6. Galactic Star ($12)
7. Wrappers Delight (10)
8. Our Uncle Sam ($21)
9. Maximan ($41)
10. Cant Refuse ($61)
11. Mach Doro ($81)
12. Cash N Flow ($101)

I pretty much agree with the market but think Wrappers Delight is unders and Pats Delight is overs. I think its probably just between my top 4 with even luck, they have been the top 4 all series while the next 3 will be thereabouts especially with the right run. The next five would need to draw the pole or inside back row and get a pegs sprint lane runner to place and even then it would be unlikely.

Once draw is in I will do an in depth preview.

I've wanted to Pats Delight #1 on power rankings since heat 1 but as a 4yo had to put the established stars on top until he had a bit more crossover form. Here are my odds pre draw to 113% market.

Tiger Tara
3​
Pats Delight
5​
Spankem
6​
Cruz Bromac
8​
San Carlo
9​
Galactic Star
12​
Wrappers Delight
17​
Our Uncle Sam
71​
Maximan
81​
Mach Doro
101​
Cant Refuse
151​
Cash n Flow
201​

Draw will change everything though. Top 3 can win from back but rest can't. Pats Delight lacks a bit of gate speed which is why I have Tiger favourite.

Barrier draws for the finals are out and I like both draws. Will make both races very interesting!

Speeding Spur draws gate 1 in the trotters with Tornado Valley out in 6. Will be interesting to see what Gav Lang does on Save Our Pennies from gate 3. Speeding Spur is ok out but if Gav really let SOP loose he could cross and thrown a spanner in the works.

Pacers final has seen Galactic Star draw the pole so he will lead and probably should hand up. I'm hoping Pats Delight gets that chance first but it might be Spankem. Tiger Tara will come across to the death. San Carlo bad draws continue but will be running home late. Cruz Bromac will need to lead the 3 wide line. Those 6 horses will just about be first six home, which order is the money question.

Will delve more into the form during the week but first thoughts:

Pats Delight $4.50
Tiger Tara $5
Galactic Star $5.50
Spankem $6
San Carlo $9
Cruz Bromac $10
Wrappers Delight $51
Our Uncle Sam $81
Mach Doro $101
Maximan $101
Cant Refuse $151
Cash n Flow $201

Galactic Star needs to hand up and see where the sprint lane takes him because he cant have San Carlo getting the sprint lane. Whether he is good enough to run down Pats Delight/Spankem we will find out.

Tiger Tara is good enough to sit in the chair and win, his NZ Cup win proves that. If Cruz Bromac comes knocking keep him 3 wide. Spankem 100% wont and I dont think Pats Delight would hand up either.

Pats Delight needs to lead. I don't think he is blessed with gate speed but they need to hold out Spankem and be the first horse to ask Galactic Star for the lead. If he can lead he is a big chance of winning. If not its brings him back to the pack and could get blocked in when Cruz Bromac makes his run.

Spankem. Same story as Pats Delight.

Cruz Bromac. Will find it too tough with that draw. One of the other players will get a better run and be too good.

San Carlo. If Galactic Star chooses to lead San Carlo is up to this in his eyeballs. Unfortunately for San Carlo Galactic Star should hand up and San Carlo will just be running on nicely at the end.

Interesting that Purdon has got the drive on Spankem whilst Natalie has gone with Cruz Bromac
I would have thought Spankem was the better chance but they have won 7 IDs between them. Seen a quote from Nat along lines of couldn't split them so going with the more established star. Whether there is any games/tactics going on who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was an awesome night

Wow, I hadn't seen that before (I was only 5!). I assume that was Kerryn driving Knight Pistol, gee she would love her time again! From memory Our Sir Vancelot just clung on in the last stride that year as well and could have easily lost with another 10metres.

Popular Alm was never any good the anti clockwise way (if you consider running 2nd in the best race in Australasia no good) I remember this too .
Is Alexandra Park the only Clockwise track, considering all other tracks are anti-clockwise

Is Alexandra Park the only Clockwise track, considering all other tracks are anti-clockwise
I think that Te Aroha is the only other Clockwise track in NZ.
Although, I do think that there is some grass trackracing clockwise on thoroughbred tracks.

Some big runs at Menangle yesterday. Bettermatch 1.50.3 and Field Marshall first up 1.50.8. Field Marshall v Tiger Tara will be great in the West in the new year... if only the Bull and Soho Tribecca were still there.

going to my first trots night Saturday - Ballarat Cup. What am I looking for in harness form? Any tips? Normally struggle to pick anything when it comes to harness!

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back