Senior Harris Andrews (2014-) (Co-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm gonna be replaying that so much. It's a wonderful coincidence that Ainsworth copped it, since he tried to rough up Andrews earlier in the game after a failed spoil attempt (and subsequently got ragdolled by Andrews on the goal line), and was also the instigator of the second 50m penalty against Hipwood for obstructing his run to the new mark. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em Ainsworth.

2021 Mid-Season Re-cap

THE IMPASSABLE FIGURE

Harris Andrews, reinforcing his standing as the game’s premier defender, rank fourth in the League for contested marks with 27. Only the Bulldogs’ Aaron Naughton (34), Melbourne’s Max Gawn (33) and Carlton’s Harry McKay (29) have had more.

2021 Season Review: Harris & Marcus

With his usual sidekick Darcy Gardiner battling multiple injuries throughout the season, vice-captain Harris Andrews formed a new partnership with Marcus Adams in 2021.

Together Adams and Andrews held down the key posts in a defensive unit that remained in the top 5 in the competition, despite a semi-regular turnover of personnel.

Gardiner missed 15 games, Ryan Lester was absent seven times and Jack Payne played just 10 times, and on one of those occasions he was a key forward.

Andrews was his usual reliable self and although he surrendered the All Australian blazer he had claimed the previous two seasons, he remained one of the premier defenders in the competition.

In fact, a quick scan of his stats show he was unlucky not to have been named in the All Star team for a third straight year.

The Hyundai Academy product led the league in marks, contested defence one-on-ones, spoils and one-percenters and was ranked second for intercept marks and intercept possessions.

Such was his dominance opposition sides now work hard to keep the ball away from the area he is patrolling as they enter the inside fifty.

And his aerial prowess also provided Senior Coach Chris Fagan with another option late in the season when the Club’s stocks of key forwards was stretched. He was swung forward late in the semi-final against the Western Bulldogs and immediately pulled down a strong mark.

Standout Performances

The 'Chief' Stands Up in Ballarat

It was a tough opening four rounds for the Lions, but while Round 4's result against the Bulldogs didn't go in our favour, Harris stood up when it mattered.

The return of Darcy Gardiner seemed to free up the 24-year-old, as he roamed up the ground and collected 23 touches.

A 50-metre penalty saw Andrews return to his roots, launching a 53m bomb to kick a vital goal to steady the ship for the visitors.

Impressively, our Vice-Captain also clunked 12 marks and had 9 one-percenters, both areas he led the competition in all year.

Season Averages

Disposals - 15.3 (Elite)

Kicks - 9.5 (Above-Average)

Handballs - 5.7 (Elite)

Intercept Marks - 3.8 (Elite)

Spoils - 8.6 (Elite)

BRISBANE full-back Harris Andrews is looking to be a more balanced defender in 2022 following an off-season of reflection on his game.

Andrews has set an incredibly high bar, earning Therabody All-Australian jackets in 2019 and 2020, but slipped ever-so-slightly last year as opponents took advantage of his aggressive positioning.

A knee niggle late in the season didn't help, but the 25-year-old said that was no excuse for some below-par performances.

Rather, Andrews used the off-season to assess what he could do better.

Brisbane's Harris Andrews collides with Melbourne's Bayley Fritsch during the qualifying final on August 28, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
"I did a lot of reflecting at the end of last season and understood I need to be better as a footballer and teammate," he said.

"It's just finding that balance between stopping my opponent and looking to help out guys elsewhere.

"A couple of times last year opposition forwards were able to get on top of me and kick a few goals and I probably lost a bit of balance in that sense.

"I'm continually learning my craft and building my understanding of the game in different situations."

Introducing Our '22 Leaders

Dayne Zorko and Harris Andrews return as captain and vice-captain and will be supported by another six returning players to an eight-man leadership group.

The Yin and Yang That's Put Lions' Defence Back in Balance

Then there's Andrews, the 202cm vice-captain, the backline leader with a voice that resonates around Brisbane's defensive 50.

He has the seemingly endless arms that can spoil from almost any position and a hunger matched by few in his team.

After a strong 2021, yet slightly down on the lofty heights of his previous two Therabody All-Australian campaigns, Andrews confessed he needed to address some shortcomings in his game.

"I need to be better as a footballer and teammate," he said during the pre-season.

"It's just finding that balance between stopping my opponent and looking to help out guys elsewhere."

Heading into Sunday's match against Queensland rivals Gold Coast, Andrews has largely struck that balance in 2022.

He has competed in more contested defensive one-on-ones (30) than anyone else in the League, and his success rate in those battles is only bettered by Suns' vice-captain Sam Collins among the top-10 in that category.

Andrews told AFL.com.au he was pleased – so far.

"I've been OK," he said. "I feel like I've played my role for the team, which is super important.

"It's been great having Marcus up and flying, he's done such a great job of winning the ball back for us. I feel like I'm contributing alright without setting world on fire.

"We're winning football games and that's what we're chasing."

Andrews has been resilient throughout his 141-game career, and with Adams playing 22 of the past 27 games, the duo are finally getting a chance to gel alongside reliable Darcy Gardiner.

"Marcus is extremely influential," Andrews said.

"His ability to play on really dangerous key forwards and win his own ball in 50-50 contests is massive for us.

"It's great to see someone who puts so much work into their body get so much reward for effort now.

"It's incredible what he can do. He reads the ball off the boot so well and is so strong in the contest. He can hold his opponent out and then come back to win the ball.

"It makes our jobs so much easier, myself, and even the half-backs and small defenders."

Andrews said there was still room to improve though, both between himself and Adams and the reshaped Lions backline that has accommodated skipper Dayne Zorko and Noah Answerth this season.

They have the versatility to swap between key opponents, like Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron against Geelong or Nick Larkey and Todd Goldstein against North Melbourne.

"It does help you game-to-game having awareness of what each others' strengths are. We're still working through that," he said.

"We've found ourselves a few times both in good positions to mark, looking at each other and hesitating – we're still working on that synergy.

"There's a lot of area for growth."

Lions coach Fagan backs under-fire Andrews against Dockers

Brisbane coach Chris Fagan believes Harris Andrews has been unfairly criticised and is backing the star defender to rise to the challenge against Fremantle on Sunday.

The second-placed Lions have made a hot 9-2 start to the season, but some critics have questioned whether Andrews is out of form.

Andrews is averaging more possessions and more marks per game than his All-Australian campaign of 2019.

But he made some key mistakes early in last week’s 14-point win over GWS that led to goals.

Fagan believes the critics have been off the mark in taking aim at Andrews.

“I wish people who criticised him would look at the statistical data that’s available in multitudes and check his form out,” Fagan said.

“Because if you look at his 2019 All-Australian year, his numbers aren’t too far different to that. In some areas he’s even better.

“He’s been a very consistent performer for us over four years. His numbers haven’t varied much over that time.”

Fagan believes the two-time All-Australian has become a “victim of his own high standards”.

“If he gets beaten every now and then, it’s like the world’s caving in,” Fagan said.

“Well guess what, all defenders get beaten at some point in time.

“I think teams in the AFL now are playing much faster, and they’re really testing defences out more than they have for a long time.

“That makes the job of the defender tougher, especially if the ball gets in there easily.”

Fagan isn’t expecting Andrews to go into his shell in the wake of the criticism.

“You can’t play in the cage like he does every week and be that sort of person that goes in your shell. He just rises to the challenge,” Fagan said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

External critics not a concern for under-fire Lion

BRISBANE vice-captain Harris Andrews says he won't be using external criticism as fuel for his own performance, but concedes he needs to improve for the Lions to chase a premiership in 2022.

Andrews will play his 150th game in Thursday night's blockbuster against Melbourne at the MCG and said the Lions' mid-season bye was the perfect chance to reflect on his form.

The 25-year-old full-back has been the centre of media scrutiny the past six weeks, with some questioning his urgency in defence.

Andrews said he heard the commentary, but was more concerned with the thoughts of his teammates and coaches.

"You do hear it and you see it but at the same time, it's all about what happens inside the four walls and what I can do to be better every day," Andrews said on Tuesday.

"I'd be remiss if I said I didn’t hear any of the discussion that goes on about my form, but at the same time I want to hold myself to high standards.

"I'll come into the club each week, set myself to improve.

"I know what I need to do to perform well for the team and I'll just focus on that."

The two-time Therabody All-Australian has been among the best key defenders in the competition in one-on-one contests, helping Brisbane to the top of the table.

He said he didn't need motivation from elsewhere to play his best footy.

"There have been times I have been down a little bit," he said.

"I need to be better, and my teammates are extremely reliant on me to be at my best when we're playing at our best.

Brisbane captain Dayne Zorko trained on Tuesday, but would be assessed over the next 24 hours as he tries to overcome a hamstring injury to face the Demons.

Andrews said he expected the best from the under-fire premier as Brisbane sought to win its first game at the MCG since 2014.

"They've got a point to prove now. They've lost their last three games and probably aren't playing the footy they want to play," he said.

"We're looking to start the second half of the year in good form. We think we've got a great opportunity."

From Fitzroy to Life Membership for Harris

It comes at little surprise that Brisbane Lions Vice-Captain Harris Andrews is making his 150-game about others instead of himself.

The dual All-Australian will bring up the milestone and life membership for the Club when he runs out onto the MCG against Melbourne in Thursday night’s top-of-the-ladder clash.

When he does so, the Brisbane Lions Academy product hopes his achievement will help motivate other aspiring Queensland footballers to follow their AFL dreams

“It is something to be extremely proud of,” Andrews said.

“Sort of setting a bit of an example for the academy you know for young Brisbane and Queensland talents to come out and play in the AFL.

“I feel like I’ve been very fortunate to be a part of the academy and the opportunity to come to the local club and play at the Lions is something I am extremely grateful for.

“I am very proud, very thankful for the club and everyone that’s been a part of my journey, my family and my partner – everyone that has played a part in it, and I am really grateful.”

Andrews, now a proud Queenslander, in a way was somewhat destined to play for the club having also been born in Fitzroy in 1996.

His family then moved to Queensland where he attended Padua College and played junior football for Aspley before being recruited to the Brisbane Lions Development Academy as a promising 17-year-old.

The former NEAFL under-18 leading goal kicker was then drafted to the Lions with pick 61 in the 2014 draft.

One person who has played a key role in the defender’s journey from his debut in 2015 right up to the eve of his 150th game is Lions backline coach Murray Davis.

“From early on Harris was someone keen to improve and learn about his craft, it really stood out to me how hungry and eager he was to study other key defenders and learn from his own teammates,” Davis said of the 25-year-old.

“For him to be playing his 150th is no surprise, it reflects his willingness to get better and his professionalism with all the time he has put in and the mountain of work he has done.

“He is such a competitor and when you are playing on the competition’s best forwards week in, and week out there is nowhere to hide.

“But he never shies away from the challenge or the contest, he just wants to know who he has got next and that gives you great confidence as a coach to go to him with a job.

Davis’ praise doesn’t stop at the on-field feats of the dual All-Australian, the Lions assistant rates Andrews as highly if not more highly as a person off the field.

The former NEAFL coach isn’t on his own there, with Andrews being one of the most loved Lions by teammates, staff and supporters.

“He’s got a great level of care for his teammates and people around the football club,” Davis added.

“He is always looking out for others and looking to make his teammates good as well.

“I respect him hugely; he is just a very humble person and respects those work around club.”

As one of the AFL’s ‘nice guys’, there’s no arguing Andrews warrants a fairytale ending to his milestone game.

The occasion could also double as his first ever win at the mighty MCG.

Standing in his way and in the way of the Lions winning their 11th game of the season to remain on top of the ladder is reigning premier Melbourne.

Though Andrews said the team is ready for the challenge.

“You’re not going to fear it, you’re not going to run away from it. It is just going to be a great challenge, two really good football teams going at it in a strong contest,” he said.

“You obviously set yourself for their best. They have a point to prove now, they have lost their last three games and probably aren’t playing the footy they want to play.

“But we are certainly aware of just how good they are as a football team and certainly respect the work they have done in the last 12 months.

“With that being said we think we have a great opportunity to go down there and play on their home deck and look forward to getting out on The ‘G again.”

Brisbane star Harris Andrews says it’s on him to ensure Lions lift in defence against Demons

4e21549d2e668f357b784b5a15db38c55183fba4-16x9-x0y0w2048h1152.jpg

Key Lions defender Harris Andrews has put the onus on himself to “get better” and prevent another mauling from the Demons at the MCG on Friday night.

Brisbane has produced two woeful defensive displays against Melbourne this season, conceding a combined total of 232 points in losses to the Demons in June and last month.

Another schoolboy defensive effort in this week’s sudden-death semi-final will not only end Brisbane’s season but make for an extremely long and agonising off-season.

Communication breakdowns were particularly evident in the Lions backline in Brisbane’s 58-point loss to the Demons three weeks ago at the Gabba.

The Lions also came unstuck in the verbal battle between the teams in what was a hugely disappointing night for the Queensland club.

“As a leader, I’ve got to make sure that the guys around me are in a good headspace, making sure myself that I’m in a good headspace and understand that there’s going to be momentum swings within the game and if you get caught up worrying about what’s happened in the past during the game, then you’re already behind,” Andrews said.

Despite Brisbane beating Richmond in last week’s thrilling elimination final at the Gabba, Andrews wasn’t satisfied with his performance on direct opponent Tom Lynch, who kicked three goals and had two other shots for goal.

“You can always get better. The day you stop trying to get better is the moment when it’s probably time to move on,” he said.

“Last week, I played on Tom Lynch, who’s probably one of the great forwards in the league, and he was able to get them back in the game in the second half, but I understand as a key defender that I’ve got a tough role each week playing on the guy that they (the opposition) kick the ball to inside the (50m zone).”

And it’s set to be more than one “guy” Andrews will have to shut down on Friday night.

“It’s be a mixture of guys. They’ve got some pretty dangerous tall forwards (including) Ben Brown, and Luke Jackson, and Max Gawn spends a bit of time down there, so it’ll be a combination of a few of them I’d imagine.”

Andrews said he wasn’t concerned by any “smoke and mirrors” Melbourne might be playing concerning the selection of star Christian Petracca, who has a hairline fracture in his right leg.

“I haven’t thought too much about it. We just worry about what we’re doing,” he said.

“If we sit around twiddling our thumbs hoping and figuring out whether he’s going to play or not, we waste our energy and time.”

Your 2023 Brisbane Lions Captains

Harris Andrews and Lachie Neale will co-captain the Brisbane Lions in 2023, with Hugh McCluggage named as vice-captain.

The trio will lead the Club into an exciting new era.

The pair take the reins from outgoing skipper Dayne Zorko who had captained the Lions since 2018.

Andrews is a product of the Queensland talent pathway, learning his craft at the Aspley Football Club on Brisbane’s northside, before joining the Brisbane Lions Academy.

Now regarded as one of the AFLs best defenders, Andrews is a former All-Australian team member in 2019 and 2020, and has won the Brisbane Lions “Most Professional Player” award several times.

He steps into the co-captaincy after five seasons as vice, and said he was excited about taking on a greater leadership role.

“To be identified as the co-captain of this football club is really exciting and something that probably hasn’t sunk in yet, I am extremely proud of it when I look down at the names of those that have gone before me,” he said.

“To feel that I’ve got the trust of the playing group alongside Lachie and the coaching staff, just having that support there is really important.

“To me it gives me confidence to go out and play my game and also instruct the group and make sure we are going really well as a football club.”

No Panic as Lions Eye Heavyweight Challenge

THERE'S no panic at Brisbane following the horror round one loss to Port Adelaide at the weekend, with co-captain Harris Andrews confident of a bounce back against Melbourne on Friday night.

Andrews said there was "no sugar-coating" the 54-point drubbing, saying the Lions lacked the requisite workrate and energy on all three lines of the ground.

However, with a blockbuster against the premiership fancy Dees just three days away, he said they had to learn and move on quickly.

"As a group over the last couple of years we've had some bad losses … but our ability to bounce back is a standout for us," Andrews said on Tuesday morning.

"This week against the Dees is a real challenge.

"It's a long year and we've got a lot of learnings to take from the weekend's game."

Brisbane was smacked by Port in most statistical categories, losing contested possessions by 34, uncontested possessions by a whopping 127 and inside 50s by 25.

Andrews defended his team's attitude, saying their mind was firmly on beating the opposition on Saturday.

"I wouldn't say we got ahead of ourselves," he said.

"We weren't going into the game thinking 'how easy is this going to be?', we'd be kidding ourselves if we come into AFL games thinking that.

"There's a few things we need to work on from a structural perspective, just energy for the contest as well, which was disappointing.

"We need to look forward and understand we have to respond."

Former captain Dayne Zorko appears a good chance to play his first game of the season as he continues his return from a hamstring tendon injury.

Zorko trained well last week and took part in Tuesday's session and baring any hiccups should be available for selection.

"It'd be awesome to get him back at some point," Andrews said.

"He brings such energy to the club, his ability to put pressure on on the field and bring hunger to the contest that we probably missed a little bit on the weekend would be great."

Don't Forget About Harris

While the forwards stole the glory in Saturday's runaway win over North Melbourne, co-captain Harris Andrews put together another strong performance to continue a fine start to his 2023.

After being outpointed by Charlie Dixon in round one, Andrews has been superb in the past month, in a patch of form – and yes, it's only a patch – equal to his All-Australian years of 2019 and 2020.

For all the stats heads, 'Chief' is averaging 18 disposals, 8 spoils and 7 intercept marks a game across the last month.

He has a nice balance of one-on-one defence and zoning off to take intercept marks, with his hands looking as assured as any time in the past few seasons.

With Jack Payne getting continuity and slowly settling in as his sidekick, Andrews had a match-high 10 intercept possessions to go along with 14 disposals at 92.9% disposal efficiency against the Kangaroos as he marshalled the Lions' backline to a second straight win.

AIC Hall of Fame Adds Two of Our Own

harris-charlie.png

Lions pair Harris Andrews and Charlie Cameron enjoyed a trip down memory lane over the bye weekend, all the way back to their school days.

The pair were among 25 inaugural inductees to the Hall of Fame of the Associated Independent Colleges, celebrating 25 years after being founded in 1998 as an athletic association for male secondary athletes.

Andrews was recognised for his exploits at Padua College in Kedron, and Cameron likewise for his time at Marist College Ashgrove.

Andrews finished at Padua in 2014, having represented the school in the Independent Schools Cup in football and been a member of their premiership-winning First V basketball team.

Cameron was a boarder at Marist, graduating in 2011 after playing in the original independent schools competition.

It is not the first time the pair have been linked via their schools, with Padua and Marist having played for the Andrews-Cameron Cup whenever they meet in the AIC First XVIII competition since 2021.

Fellow Queenslander Brendan Whitecross, who played 111 AFL games in an injury-plagued career at Hawthorn, was also inducted into the AIC Hall of Fame in recognition of his sporting exploits at St.Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back