Injury Harris Andrews injury updates :(

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lions will reassess Andrews in two weeks. Importantly, the neurosurgeon expects Harris to make a full recovery. The brain bleed has been listed as minor

It's great for him that he'll make a full recovery but I'd love a time frame. Is it a month, 6 months, 2 years, 10 years...

I can’t think of another incident to compare it to?
You cant defend a late high flying elbow at full speed as self defence.
If this happened on the street you would be charged with grievous bodily harm? The MRP better charge him accordingly.

Please can someone go onto Cameron's Facebook or Instagram or whatever social media he has and give him massive abuse. He shouldn't play for the rest of the year the dog.
Andrews shouldn't play for the rest of the year now, am really hoping he can play again and this isn't the last time we see him on field. Hope J.Clarke gets in touch with him.

I know this isn't the place for venting but..

F*** Cameron.

F*** the false.. 'he is a nice guy narrative'

F*** anyone defending him.

F*** the fact Harris had to walk over to him after the game to break bread.

F*** that he had the nerve to salute the crowd 5 minutes after the incident.

F*** that he was allowed to play out the game and sign the song with a smile on his face.

F*** that he had the nerve to promote him self as a 'ball player'in the interview after the game.

F*** it all.

Great news it is minor though.

Please can someone go onto Cameron's Facebook or Instagram or whatever social media he has and give him massive abuse. He shouldn't play for the rest of the year the dog.
Andrews shouldn't play for the rest of the year now, am really hoping he can play again and this isn't the last time we see him on field. Hope J.Clarke gets in touch with him.
I did that on the GWS boards, incredible some of their supporters are still calling it a soft contact and he will at best get a fine. What Tha?

Let's see how accurate I prove to be: 3 weeks downgraded to 2 with a guilty plea.

Remember- it is GWS.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

On a personal note - as a child between 5-10yo I had two massive concussions. One was a car accident where I was flung headfirst into a metal bar which broke (no seat belts back then), and the second was a fall off playground equipment onto the concrete below the equipment (no softball matting back then).

I was out for about 5 mins for the playground, and much longer with the car accident. I have no recollection of both these events or anything else that occurred in these years. I have an abysmal memory - my teenage kids got a friends mother who was a occupational therapist to run a dementia test on me when I was in my 30 s because of my memory problems. I passed but I was nervous and really focused. I can't listen to things properly such as pod casts, phone calls or lectures - I drift off and realise minutes later and have to rewind or ask for things to be repeated. My memory/concentration has definitely impacted negatively on both my personal and work life.

Gotta wonder how much permanent damage was done back then and if this is what concussed players experience or if I was born this way.

Oh I know exactly how you feel! I find it incredibly difficult to stay focused on anything...my mind constantly wanders.

Good luck with it gadzorks!

It seems pragmatic to rest out the year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd be horrified if they let him play this year. Don't care that medical people will have ok'Ed it - they admit they know very little about this area so their ok isn't worth as much as it is with other injuries.

For gods sake, we are spooners so no reason to risk our genuine a grade player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sickens me this.
Cameron had to think about this, Harris was the #1 defender in the AFL coming into this game, Cameron must have thought about that and made up his decision.
I hope the tribunal get this right.

I still think 4-6 weeks. Not as bad as the Bugg incident. The elbow is borderline reckless/intentional.

Oh I know exactly how you feel! I find it incredibly difficult to stay focused on anything...my mind constantly wanders.

Good luck with it gadzorks!

And after reading your story I realised that my short fuse when stressed could be linked. Ain't life grand!
hope you win a lottery mate - should be some balancing out along the way.

I did that on the GWS boards, incredible some of their supporters are still calling it a soft contact and he will at best get a fine. What Tha?

o_O

I'm obviously a very frequenter poster over there and having already read everything posted I'm yet to see anything calling for it to only be a fine. I might have missed one, but "some" suggests multiple and all I've read expects at least a couple of weeks off and most acknowledge at least four or more.

Come in peace guys.

Just wanted to wish Harris Andrews a speedy recovery. Horrible incident, and terrible to hear he has bleeding on the brain. Hope the tribunal throw every book they have at Cameron.

Andrews really announced himself as a certified gun this year. Really hope for his sake he recovers quickly from this with no long term effects.

You don't want to see any player go down like that.

Take care guys. Look forward to some good battles in a few years time when Blues and Lions battle it out for a few flags.

At this stage, without meaning to sound dramatic, If I had to guess, I would say we may not see him on a field again. He may recover quickly from this, who knows? but what if he was to suffer a similar head knock again? not sure doctors will be suggesting he takes that risk.

Absolutely gutted right now, especially for Harris and his family.

He will be back, whether or not he will be the same player is depending on his confidence.

Josh Gibson back in 2007 had the same thing and came back to be an exceptional player.

Also Heath Shaw a few years back copped a huge hit and had bleeding on the brain.

Lets hope everything goes well and he comes back next season full of confidence and continues his development. Without any lingering effect will be a star of the comp.

Sickens me this.
Cameron had to think about this, Harris was the #1 defender in the AFL coming into this game, Cameron must have thought about that and made up his decision.
I hope the tribunal get this right.

Harris had been making a living off dropping back into the hole, taking marks and making spoils, in the exact manner that he was when he was taken out.

I am sure the coaching staff and players were aware of it and there would have been a directive around 'making him earn those possessions'.

I don't think they would have wanted him put in hospital, but I would not be surprised if there was a plan to target him.

GWS are league leaders in inflicting injury onto opposition with their Mumford Mentality, no surprises here.

Expectations for penalties should have been scaled up long ago.

Players need to be afraid that if they do something dangerous on the field it might seriously threaten their career, in the same way their action might threaten someone's else career. We should be talking about a penalty of half a season for Cameron. We should have been talking about similar penalties for similar incidents.

There are a lot of occasions on the footy field where you can hit an unprotected player. In this case, forwards get frustrated when defenders drop back in front of them to deny them a marking opportunity. They'd always try to make them earn it so the defender feels less inclined to do it again. There's a fine line between doing something tough and doing something dangerous, but the way we make sure players stay on the right side of the line is to make the consequences of crossing it very serious.

The consequences haven't been serious enough. The last time Cameron made someone need surgery with a high bump he got four weeks. That's clearly not enough to change his behaviour. Giving him a similar penalty now won't do it either. He needs a penalty that will drag into next season, and that will make every player think carefully about what they should be doing when they're late to a contest.

What will actually happen is Cameron gets suspended for four to six weeks, and most will nod their heads and say that seems about right. And then this will happen again to some poor defender in the future, maybe ending their career. And we'll have missed an opportunity right now to prevent it.

I'd be horrified if they let him play this year. Don't care that medical people will have ok'Ed it - they admit they know very little about this area so their ok isn't worth as much as it is with other injuries.

For gods sake, we are spooners so no reason to risk our genuine a grade player.
Completely and wholeheartedly agree!!! He should not play again this season!!
The risk of injury and long lasting serious effects far outweigh any need for him in our backline.

I sincerely hope that, that gutless jerk is hung out to dry!! He deserves at least 8 weeks! There has to be a very strong message that going into any contest with your elbow cocked in such a manner will not be tolerated!
My gridiron coach actually routinely tells us to use our elbows because they do actually hurt!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back