Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Who would you take?

Harris Andrews- 22 years of age, 201cm, 102kg, 81 games.
Darcy Moore- 23 years of age, 203cm, 102kg, 61 games.

Both these guys are exceptional young KPDs, Andrews has been established for a bit longer but Moore has been a standout for the Pies in defense this season. IMO they will both end up being AA level players and 2 of the best KPDs in the competition over the next decade.

Harris has more quality games down back under his belt and right now seems more reliable injury wise.

Imagine having Andrews at FB and Moore at CHB.

Moore's injury issues are becoming a real problem, just always seems to be playing catch up continuity wise, I think his ideal position is forward relieving in the ruck.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Moore is having a good year, but I think Andrews is having a better one still.

Andrews is the modern day Dustin Fletcher in terms of his ability to harass his opponent just enough to stop him gaining possession and still not give away a free kick. Then you have Harris's marking ability and his impressive ground ball skills (he rarely fumbles).

Decent chance to be a 2 time AA Full Back at the age of 23. Worth noting he would already have 2 selections if it wasn't for J.Cameron's cheap shot in 2018.

Andrews is a fantastic player, probably the best KPD in the game now.
Moore is also great, wouldn't have any problems with him either.

If Moore doesn't earn one this year, I reckon he too will be an AA player one day.

Begs the question, is the new wave of top KPDs now 200cm+?

It used to be 190-195, but I'm not sure if that will now cut it playing on the future Max/Ben Kings of the world and forwards that have enormous reach. I'd rate Dylan Grimes one of the best defenders in the league, pound for pound probably the best, but at 193/90 those guys are just too undersized to play against the monsters.

Last edited:

If Moore doesn't earn one this year, I reckon he too will be an AA player one day.

It used to be 190-195, but I'm not sure if that will now cut it playing on the future Max/Ben Kings of the world and forwards that have enormous reach. I'd rate Dylan Grimes one of the best defenders in the league, pound for pound probably the best, but at 193/90 those guys are just too undersized to play against the monsters.

What time frame do you define a "wave" as though?

These two at FB and CHB would be epic. Harris now is one you could rely on to do a better shutdown role, though Moores confidence to run and carry from CHB reminds me abit of Alex Rance in his prime.

Moore also has Roughead at support at fullback, another 200cm guy whos lockdown ability down there has surprised me. Harris seems to run things down back solo.

Last edited:

Feel like ruckman sized KPDs have been around for a while. Roughhead, Carlisle, Thompson, Keefe to name a few

I feel Harris has probably been exposed a wee bit this season but hes still easily the most difficult key defender to play on. I think we were really banking on Marcus Adams to get significant games in though, Darcy G is a good defender but gets really exposed when we face dual key forwards.

Back