Harrison Wigg traded

Remove this Banner Ad

He's worth a late pick but if we can take him as a rookie I'd do that if we have that opportunity

Didn't hurt Jars - he improved out of site this year

Ps everyone is talking about jarman as a small forward but it looks more likely he plays up the ground - need to be lightning quick as a small forward these days and apply pressure as your no 1 trait

If we nominate him in the National Draft then we have to take him in the National Draft. We can only take him in the Rookie Draft if we don't nominate him for the National Draft.

The only reason to do that is if they don't think he'll be drafted by another club in the ND.

I never saw Wigg play but I just wish that we had played him during the year to get a true evaluation of him. Lets be honest There were plenty og games that McKay could have gone back to the SANFL. I just hope that 2018 sees a change in attitude to exposing our younger players.

Hope that Wigg takes full advantage of his opportunity. If he does it might just put some egg on the faces of a few selectors.

You don't think they have an idea about his talents after watching him closely at training and in the SANFL over the last 3 years?

There's no reason whatsoever why they should select him if they don't think he's good enough to play at the highest level.

Just quietly, I called this before trade period started. Not the detail of picks but yeah I'm pretty much better than redhorse.

Unlikely to ever have info again but that won't stop me making bold claims
That isn't having high aspirations

If we nominate him in the National Draft then we have to take him in the National Draft. We can only take him in the Rookie Draft if we don't nominate him for the National Draft.

The only reason to do that is if they don't think he'll be drafted by another club in the ND.
So why do clubs bid then ? If we have to take him . Eg Himmelberg H

Do we have to take them with our last pick no matter what ? No problems doing that

If we nominate and nobody bids, we have to take him with our last selection in the draft. Note that rookie upgrades no longer happen via the draft, but they do count towards the mandatory 3 selections.

If another club bids, we have the option to match or let him go. I suspect that we'll match if we can get him with the points for pick 39. Not sure what they'll do if he goes even earlier than that.
Got it

He won't go earlier than that (39)

You don't think they have an idea about his talents after watching him closely at training and in the SANFL over the last 3 years?

There's no reason whatsoever why they should select him if they don't think he's good enough to play at the highest level.

I understand your reasoning but lets see what he does next year in a different environment. I certainly wish him well.

So why do clubs bid then ? If we have to take him . Eg Himmelberg H

Do we have to take them with our last pick no matter what ? No problems doing that

If someone bids, then we have a choice. We can match the bid, or let them take him. We have "first right of refusal", and the benefit of a 20% discount. Even so, we can still let him go if the price is too high.

If nobody bids then we have to take him with our last pick in the draft.

If we only nominate him for the Rookie Draft, we go through the same process as we did last year with Jarman. We have no special rights to him if another club selects him in the ND or PSD. However, he would be automatically ours if he made it through to the RD.

I understand your reasoning but lets see what he does next year in a different environment. I certainly wish him well.
His big chance to make it is as a half back flanker as his contested game isn't good enough to play Inside Mid at AFL level and his speed and spread isn't good enough to play Outside Mid at AFL level. He made the U18 AA team playing HBF. Given we have good depth in that position even with Smith going down he was unlikely to get regular games so it was in his and the clubs best interests to look elsewhere. Saad being traded out probably opens up a spot on the HBF at the GCS for Wigg in a position he excelledat as a junior. I really can't see him getting a permanent role in the GCS midfield with David Swallow, Aaron Hall, Jack Bowes, Jarryd Lyons, Will Brodie, Touk Miller and Brayden Fiorini etc on their list.

Got it

He won't go earlier than that (39)

In that case we may have a problem. Our next pick is #72, and it's only worth 18 points. If another club selects him after 39, we would be looking at carrying points over to 2018, and we've already given away our 3rd round pick in that draft.

My guess is that 39 will be used in the Gibbs trade, and we will get picks back from Carlton in return. I'm thinking we'll use one of those picks to get Edwards.

The GC midfield is a desolate wasteland without Ablett. There's no better club for him if he's looking for opportunities.

I think Adelaide did well to get something for a player they were going to delist anyway. That said, I wish him all the best for his future with the Suns.

I doubt we would've delisted him, and he had multiple interested parties in Melbourne; same as he did last year when we bullshited him into extending his contract with us.

His big chance to make it is as a half back flanker as his contested game isn't good enough to play Inside Mid at AFL level and his speed and spread isn't good enough to play Outside Mid at AFL level. He made the U18 AA team playing HBF. Given we have good depth in that position even with Smith going down he was unlikely to get regular games so it was in his and the clubs best interests to look elsewhere. Saad being traded out probably opens up a spot on the HBF at the GCS for Wigg in a position he excelledat as a junior. I really can't see him getting a permanent role in the GCS midfield with David Swallow, Aaron Hall, Jack Bowes, Jarryd Lyons, Will Brodie, Touk Miller and Brayden Fiorini etc on their list.

We don't have good depth in that role though. We have Smith, Laird who is wasted there, and then a bunch of mediocre players like Mackay and Seedsman.

He's not an inside mid and why we tried to turn him into one is baffling.

Another good young talent wasted because we refused to give him a chance when he clearly earned it, giving the same old failures dozens of chances instead of giving this kid one.

I doubt we would've delisted him, and he had multiple interested parties in Melbourne; same as he did last year when we bullshited him into extending his contract with us.

We don't have good depth in that role though. We have Smith, Laird who is wasted there, and then a bunch of mediocre players like Mackay and Seedsman.

He's not an inside mid and why we tried to turn him into one is baffling.

Another good young talent wasted because we refused to give him a chance when he clearly earned it, giving the same old failures dozens of chances instead of giving this kid one.
Brown, Doedee, Douglas, Cheney, Kelly all capable of playing HBF. And what specifically makes Wigg anything other than mediocre. Seedsman in particular has line breaking speed and weapons that Wigg just does not possess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown, Doedee, Douglas, Cheney, Kelly all capable of playing HBF. And what specifically makes Wigg anything other than mediocre. Seedsman in particular has line breaking speed and weapons that Wigg just does not possess.

Come off of it mate. I respect your opinion pretty highly, and there is no way you believe the players listed are genuinely attacking HBF options.

Brown is defensive, his attacking game is poor.
Kelly the same.
Douglas is finished, and was never any good on the HBF.
Cheney is alright, but he's not a Smith style HBF.
Doedee i rate, but more of a Lever than a Smith.

Seedsman doesn't have line breaking speed or big weapons, he's got good pace and a decent leg, but he's mediocre.

Wigg was an AA HBF as a junior, touted as one of the best legs in his age group, a reasonably high draft picks who was consistently amongst our best SANFL performers.

If we weren't going t play him, why did we draft him, and why did we talk him into staying last year?

It's terrible mismanagement.

In that case we may have a problem. Our next pick is #72, and it's only worth 18 points. If another club selects him after 39, we would be looking at carrying points over to 2018, and we've already given away our 3rd round pick in that draft.

My guess is that 39 will be used in the Gibbs trade, and we will get picks back from Carlton in return. I'm thinking we'll use one of those picks to get Edwards.
This pick 39 is certainly very strategic and I'm not sure why or how yet

Be very surprised if it's for Edwards in draft or just a pick to take to the draft

More to play out as you suggest

Thanks for your input Vader

This pick 39 is certainly very strategic and I'm not sure why or how yet

Be very surprised if it's for Edwards in draft or just a pick to take to the draft

More to play out as you suggest

Thanks for your input Vader
I'm hoping it's for local boy Andrew McPherson....I reckon that's about where he goes now given his injury riddled season.

Odd request...but OK...

lkPLKNu.jpg
38mNbJO.png

That’s ******* fantastic, nicely played

MCrouch 2018 Brownlow Winner

If someone bids, then we have a choice. We can match the bid, or let them take him. We have "first right of refusal", and the benefit of a 20% discount. Even so, we can still let him go if the price is too high.

If nobody bids then we have to take him with our last pick in the draft.

If we only nominate him for the Rookie Draft, we go through the same process as we did last year with Jarman. We have no special rights to him if another club selects him in the ND or PSD. However, he would be automatically ours if he made it through to the RD.

It’s always a pleasure and learning experience reading your posts.

MCrouch 2018 Brownlow Winner

I just hope he doesn't end up as the next Lyons, who I still think we let go far too cheap.
Bit of a difference. Lyons was a known quantity at AFL level, Wigg is not (yet). The stigma will probably be around 'why didn't we give him a chance when he obviously had the talent', instead of being 'the next Lyons'

I look forward to the bedwetters next year crying about him playing for Gold Coast and holding his head above water at AFL level whilst the Suns struggle to win a game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Suns will be fine with a half decent coach. Still a very talented list sans Ablett.

I look forward to the bedwetters next year crying about him playing for Gold Coast and holding his head above water at AFL level whilst the Suns struggle to win a game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Is that what Lyons did this year?

If Wigg plays and plays well irrespective of how Gold Coast go, we were dumb not to have given him one game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back