Harrison Wigg traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see you’ve set yourself a position that no matter how well Wigg goes you were right.

There is no other position in this, and there never was going to be another position from the moment Wigg/us decided that he needed to be an inside midfielder to save his career.

He's good enough to carve out a respectable AFL career in a rebuilding side, but he was never an option for a club in our position because he was in a dog fight with Matt Crouch for the only true inside position, and Wigg was already handicapped from the start being even smaller then Crouch. For Wigg to win that fight, he's in the conversation of the best inside midfielder in the game, if not the most naturally talented inside midfielder to exist period.

Like Lyons, he gets a career now; i'm equally glad seeing the price we got for Wigg that we didn't waste games on him seeing it didn't end up handicapping us.

There is no other position in this, and there never was going to be another position from the moment Wigg/us decided that he needed to be an inside midfielder to save his career.

He's good enough to carve out a respectable AFL career in a rebuilding side, but he was never an option for a club in our position because he was in a dog fight with Matt Crouch for the only true inside position, and Wigg was already handicapped from the start being even smaller then Crouch. For Wigg to win that fight, he's in the conversation of the best inside midfielder in the game, if not the most naturally talented inside midfielder to exist period.

Like Lyons, he gets a career now; i'm equally glad seeing the price we got for Wigg that we didn't waste games on him seeing it didn't end up handicapping us.
Yeah, we just had to give Thommo a game ahead of him.

Not one game in 3 years. If he forges a decent career, that’s a damming statement on our non-selection of him.

Not one game in 3 years. If he forges a decent career, that’s a damming statement on our non-selection of him.

Thommo was an equally stupid selection, neither had any business of being near our side at that point in time. (should have been Gallucci/Poholke who got the call up, as both have a future here)

Not at all, if anything it's a statement on how good our depth is right now seeing even players who have no shot at making it here are forging decent careers elsewhere.

Thommo was an equally stupid selection, neither had any business of being near our side at that point in time. (should have been Gallucci/Poholke who got the call up, as both have a future here)

Not at all, if anything it's a statement on how good our depth is right now seeing even players who have no shot at making it here are forging decent careers elsewhere.
Not one game in 3 years? Cmon.

We are so awesome, where will we put all the Premiership cups?

Last edited:
I look forward to the bedwetters next year crying about him playing for Gold Coast and holding his head above water at AFL level whilst the Suns struggle to win a game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not bed wetters, just posters who can actually judge a good AFL player instead of being lemmings who support every decision the selectors make. Oh, and poor judges of performances.

Agree with all of this, his form warranted an opportunity over the past 18 months. I would have loved for them to move Laird into the midfield and this would have opened up a position which would have suited Wigg on the HB line, with the added benefit of strengthening our weakest area.

We don't do that. Every player bar out of form seniors are pigeonholed into a single role. It's either that role or nothing.

Last edited:

But Thommo's leadership in that game was immense, was widely lauded for it by players, coaches and 'journalists'. Odd that it wasn't required earlier or after, but was critical for that one game.

Not bed wetters, just posters who can actually judge a good AFL player instead of being lemmings who support every decision the selectors make. Oh, and poor judges of performances.
It makes me laugh.

That player is no good that’s why we won’t pick him.
Player goes on to another club and plays well.
That player is no good still because.................

Basically whatever excuse they come up with to defend their original position.

How many times did you see him play this year?

It makes me laugh.

That player is no good that’s why we won’t pick him.
Player goes on to another club and plays well.
That player is no good still because.................

Basically whatever excuse they come up with to defend their original position.
The player is good in a poor team, ie Lyons.

How did Kerridge.go at Carlton this year?

If we didn't get Betts Wright woukd still be here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 or 3. And only to watch him though, Gold Coast wasn't exactly a side that demanded attention.
I meant Wigg.

Lyon is unlucky as Matt Crouch plays the same.role and is better. He can play his natural role at GC and is doing well there.

Moving to GC was great for him. He would have etruggled.being in our best 22 in 2017 and no way he makes it in 2018.

I meant Wigg.

Lyon is unlucky as Matt Crouch plays the same.role and is better. He can play his natural role at GC and is doing well there.

Moving to GC was great for him. He would have etruggled.being in our best 22 in 2017 and no way he makes it in 2018.

Couple in the SANFL and the 2 in the NAB where he I thought he got the ball really well, but his use by foot was poor. I thought it good enough though, disposal improvement comes with experience at the level. I find it hard to judge SANFL from the coverage, all the players look slow and amateurish. Have only been impressed a few times, Doedee for one and a top-up a couple of years ago at Norwood.

Not one game in 3 years? Cmon.

We are so awesome, where will we put all the Premiership cups?

Couldn't care less that we didn't. As said, from the moment he transitioned inside he was done in a strong side, or he's getting games and at that point, we may as well rebuild.

Simple reason is, he's slow, and small; that's two of the worst traits a midfielder can have, and traits that as time goes on are becoming more crippling, not less. This doubled up by the fact we thankfully moved away from the 2015-16 model of running with two (or three) slow inside midfielders and go with a much more modern, and compact midfield line meant there was simply no spot for Wigg to take by the time he was ready to.

I'm all for replacing people like Mackay with someone with a future, Wigg didn't have that here; and hadn't for a year.

See that last line is just an emotional argument, and serves no purpose outside of trying to validate yourself for feeling upset about us not making a move that would have ended doing more harm :)

The player is good in a poor team, ie Lyons.

How did Kerridge.go at Carlton this year?

If we didn't get Betts Wright woukd still be here.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If the team is poor and the player is holding his own against better opposition, he should be commended not downgraded because his team is poor.

That’s just an idiotic position Geoff.

Couldn't care less that we didn't. As said, from the moment he transitioned inside he was done in a strong side, or he's getting games and at that point, we may as well rebuild.

Simple reason is, he's slow, and small; that's two of the worst traits a midfielder can have, and traits that as time goes on are becoming more crippling, not less. This doubled up by the fact we thankfully moved away from the 2015-16 model of running with two (or three) slow inside midfielders and go with a much more modern, and compact midfield line meant there was simply no spot for Wigg to take by the time he was ready to.

I'm all for replacing people like Mackay with someone with a future, Wigg didn't have that here; and hadn't for a year.

See that last line is just an emotional argument, and serves no purpose outside of trying to validate yourself for feeling upset about us not making a move that would have ended doing more harm :)
So if he’s slow and small he’s no good, even if he goes to a new club and shows that he’s actually good?

My last line was to counter your point that we are so good that we can’t play players even if they end showing that they were good.

Couple in the SANFL and the 2 in the NAB where he I thought he got the ball really well, but his use by foot was poor. I thought it good enough though, disposal improvement comes with experience at the level. I find it hard to judge SANFL from the coverage, all the players look slow and amateurish. Have only been impressed a few times, Doedee for one and a top-up a couple of years ago at Norwood.
That is my take on him. And why he was traded out.

Ball magnet but poor dispoal. Given disposal was meant to be a weapon of his opre draft It suggests to me he struggles at the next level.

A good time trade him out.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If the team is poor and the player is holding his own against better opposition, he should be commended not downgraded because his team is poor.

That’s just an idiotic position Geoff.
Yes he is doing well at Gold Coast, a bottom team.

But he is it good enough for us.

Which of Douglas, M Crouch, B Crouch, Greenwood, or Sloane does he displace from our 2017 side?

It is even worse for 2018 with Gibbs in and Hampton back.

Yes he is doing well at Gold Coast, a bottom team.

But he is it good enough for us.

Which of Douglas, M Crouch, B Crouch, Greenwood, or Sloane does he displace from our 2017 side?

It is even worse for 2018 with Gibbs in and Hampton back.

Given their respective 2016 seasons, I would have had him ahead of Douglas. Douglas ended up having a good 2017, but given what Lyons has showed at GC, he could also have been good with us.

And had Lyons been with us, perhaps we wouldn’t have had to play an injured Greenwood in the finals.

Hampton hasn’t shown anything like what Lyons has achieved at AFL level.

And VB up on GC last season when he was done , silly not to have played him just to find out more about him . Could have boosted his trade value TBH

That is my take on him. And why he was traded out.

Ball magnet but poor dispoal. Given disposal was meant to be a weapon of his opre draft It suggests to me he struggles at the next level.

A good time trade him out.

Who knows if he struggles at the next level , he hasn't had an opportunity at the next level . We can find out next year but right now no one knows despite pretending they do

Who knows if he struggles at the next level , he hasn't had an opportunity at the next level . We can find out next year but right now no one knows despite pretending they do
Be gets an opportunity every week at SANFL level.

His obvious flaw is disposal. That flaw has not improved in three seasons and thus he had not got an AFL game and been traded.

Good luck to him next year. In a poorer list he should get games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back