Harrison Wigg traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Be gets an opportunity every week at SANFL level.

His obvious flaw is disposal. That flaw has not improved in three seasons and thus he had not got an AFL game and been traded.

Good luck to him next year. In a poorer list he should get games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
And after 20 AFL games we can revisit what his disposal is like

Given their respective 2016 seasons, I would have had him ahead of Douglas. Douglas ended up having a good 2017, but given what Lyons has showed at GC, he could also have been good with us.

And had Lyons been with us, perhaps we wouldn’t have had to play an injured Greenwood in the finals.

Hampton hasn’t shown anything like what Lyons has achieved at AFL level.
I think the end result vindicates the decision.

We made a GF. Our midfield improved and Lyon is a best 22 player at another AFL club.

Good result all round...

And VB up on GC last season when he was done , silly not to have played him just to find out more about him . Could have boosted his trade value TBH
I was a proponent of playing him when they selected VB last year, but the whole "find out more about him" and "boost his trade value" thing is just garbage.

The coaches have a very good idea of what he is and is not capable of doing. They watch him very closely at training and when he is playing in the SANFL. They also saw how badly he played in the JLT series this year. They don't need to play him at AFL level to "find out more about him".

Similarly, the other clubs would have scouts at all of the SANFL games, and nothing would change by selecting him for 1-2 AFL games.

What is a legitimate reason for selecting him is player development. VB was clearly cooked, and Wigg appeared to be the next in line (he was never this close ever again). Those 2 games appeared to be a perfect opportunity to give him a "taster", as we did with Galluci against Brisbane this year. They chose not to take the opportunity, and Wigg's window closed until now.

Last edited:
We should have moved Mackay on when he was in a similar position to Wigg and Lyon. He is of a similar calibre.

But we didn't and in made a.big mistake in his salary and contract length.

Luckily he has had some games where he is usefull.

But I am glad the club has learnt from that mistake.
BTW Atkins might want to improve this year as he is headed into this territory.

I think the end result vindicates the decision.

We made a GF. Our midfield improved and Lyon is a best 22 player at another AFL club.

Good result all round...

Isn’t the aim to win Grand Finals?

Anyway, your point is irrelevant.

He wasn’t rated by some on here, that doesn’t change even if he’s shown he’s a good player at another club. All we read are if buts and candy nuts.

If Wigg and Lyon are the difference there we are in.big trouble......

When they're replacing Otto, cooked Hugh and/or the liability of playing 3 tall defenders, they'd have given us a better chance. If we'd played Milera or Hampton instead if Otten, Lyons for Hugh and Wigg for an unlucky KPD, we'd have gone with them for a bit longer than a quarter and 2/3's. How much closer would we have gotten is unknown, but you need everything going your way, we went out of our way to ruin our chances.

So getting beaten by 8 goals in the GF is the measure for every coaching decision having been correct?
No, but the converse isn't true either. Adelaide's failure to win the GF certainly doesn't invalidate the decision to offload Lyons.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

When they're replacing Otto, cooked Hugh and/or the liability of playing 3 tall defenders, they'd have given us a better chance. If we'd played Milera or Hampton instead if Otten, Lyons for Hugh and Wigg for an unlucky KPD, we'd have gone with them for a bit longer than a quarter and 2/3's. How much closer would we have gotten is unknown, but you need everything going your way, we went out of our way to ruin our chances.
And given we trade Lyons for a draft pick which ended up being Pohokle, what are the chances of Pohokle contributing to a premiership in the next 2 years?

Be gets an opportunity every week at SANFL level.

His obvious flaw is disposal. That flaw has not improved in three seasons and thus he had not got an AFL game and been traded.

Good luck to him next year. In a poorer list he should get games.

I still can't see Wigg playing regular AFL midfield even with the departure of Gabblett......David Swallow, Lachie Weller, Michael Barlow, Aaron Hall, Matt Shaw, Jarryd Lyons, Touk Miller, Will Brodie, Jack Bowes, Brayden Fiorini, Brad Scheer all capable of rotating through the midfield is a pretty fair line up to choose from.

Half back flank a position he did well as a junior in is his big shot at a decent career at the GCS and I feel they probably targeted him depth wise to go some way towards being a replacement for Adam Saad but then again Jack Scrimshaw when fit offers way more athletically, size wise and pace wise than Harrison Wigg.....and Scrimshaw has elite foot skills

No, but the converse isn't true either. Adelaide's failure to win the GF certainly doesn't invalidate the decision to offload Lyons.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I never said it did, I was responding to a statement of the opposite though. But it's quite obviously correct to say that our coaching group get some things wrong. There's enough evidence to suggest that they, and many posters, undervalued Lyons ability as a footballer. Some said his good 2016 was because he benefitted from our system, he goes to another level at a rabble and that's explained away as well. It's just clueless and irrational rubbish because posters wedded themselves to a position based on his treatment here until the end of the red vest. One poster even stated the vest was responsible for making him look better than he was. Next minute, career year when the vest is scrapped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not bed wetters, just posters who can actually judge a good AFL player instead of being lemmings who support every decision the selectors make. Oh, and poor judges of performances.

No, I'm pretty sure he's talking about bedwetters.

I still can't see Wigg playing regular AFL midfield even with the departure of Gabblett......David Swallow, Lachie Weller, Michael Barlow, Aaron Hall, Matt Shaw, Jarryd Lyons, Touk Miller, Will Brodie, Jack Bowes, Brayden Fiorini, Brad Scheer all capable of rotating through the midfield is a pretty fair line up to choose from.

Half back flank a position he did well as a junior in is his big shot at a decent career at the GCS and I feel they probably targeted him depth wise to go some way towards being a replacement for Adam Saad but then again Jack Scrimshaw when fit offers way more athletically, size wise and pace wise than Harrison Wigg.....and Scrimshaw has elite foot skills
Agreed Bicks . Will be able to measure him
up to see if he could have done a similar role with smith out . Jury is out

Harrison Wigg delisted by GC. Wasn't he another "Hamish special"? What went wrong

Harrison Wigg delisted by GC. Wasn't he another "Hamish special"? What went wrong
He wasn't the player we were very keen on with that pick [35] but the Pies swooped what was considered early and grabbed Brayden Maynard [pick 30] son of Glenelg great Peter Maynard and grandson of Glenelg coach Graham Campbell.

Little known fact is Brayden I'm pretty sure could have been our first father/son if Peter had played 4 more SANFL [196] games within the qualifying period, pretty sure also that Peter worked for the Crows for a stretch too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back