Harry and Gary topping up retirement funds again.

Should "Im an individual', be Geelong's new club song
Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
With Harry and Gary taking the opportunity to cash up again and Dangerflop always putting himself first will Geelong yet again fail in finals in 2020.

Gary was gone in finals and Harry well I thought he had already retired, compare this with Sean Grigg who retired early to allow Richmond to bring in a midseason draft player that went on to be third best on the ground in yet another flag winning year for the Tigers.

Is the me me me culture holding geelong back or is it just that they are a minnow club that had a moment of drug fueled success a decade ago that will never be repeated?

Thoughts?

They will look good as May Premiers before their old campaigners run out of juice. Mid season collapse again and won't win a final in 2020. Ablett is the most selfish campaigner ever to play the game.

With Harry and Gary taking the opportunity to cash up again and Dangerflop always putting himself first Geelong will yet again fail in finals in 2020.

you had a word in the wrong place, FIFY

Not sure why thread is on the Bay - legitimate question for Cats fans.
When is the right time to move veterans on?
Hawks do it right - hell even North made the tough calls a couple of years ago.....

They're moving on old man Tim Kelly though, so they can keep their youngsters like Gaz and Harry.

May 12, 2019
Spain
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
all suck
With Harry and Gary taking the opportunity to cash up again and Dangerflop always putting himself first will Geelong yet again fail in finals in 2020.

I managed to dig up some little-known but very well-credentialed research which may answer this one:

ch7 game day_2019.jpg

Is the me me me culture holding geelong back or is it just that they are a minnow club that had a moment of drug fueled success a decade ago that will never be repeated?

I'm going to say YES

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I can only assume Cats supporters are still in shock when they realised Harry Taylor hadn't already retired and Gary after having a break over the finals is back as well.

Letting Kelly go at least gives them a draft pick or two that they can then use to get the best talent willing to make the move to Corio, can you imagine the horror if you were picked, makes the Suns look inviting.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
They will look good as May Premiers before their old campaigners run out of juice. Mid season collapse again and won't win a final in 2020. Ablett is the most selfish campaigner ever to play the game.
You mean after his old man? Apple didn't fall far from the tree, both regarded teammates as window dressing there to help them heap glory on themselves.

Best thing is Taylor/Scablett playing on demonstrates how little faith the coaches have in Henry/Narkle to take over their roles. Their youf's s**t and they can only force back the cliff so long but they'll be damned if they're going to confront that problem today when it can be put off until tomorrow! 😆

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Interesting quote from the Handbagger board.

Does anybody else think that Ablett continued to play regularly in the second half of the season even though we were well placed because he was so keen to be All Australian for a record time.

Yes, yes that does seem like exactly the kind of thing an Ablett would do.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Brandon's compensation draft pick says hi, possibly a first round pick like we got for Vickery.
Which highlights the difference between the two clubs. Richmond has quality youf coming through so they're happy to wish Ellis on his way. Geelong knows their kids are s**t and are desperate to keep the cliff at bay another year so they pleaded with Ablett & Taylor to go around again, and the development of whoever they're keeping out of the team be damded!

Then they'll wonder why they s**t the bed in next years finals when they were the slowest team in 2019 and next year will be even older & slower. Its all about short term H&A results to keep their membership numbers ticking over. Poor bastards are shitscared of going broke if they drop out of contention. :$

May 12, 2019
Spain
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
all suck
How typical of Garry and Harrry to wait until Kelly said (again) that he wanted to leave before making their decisions, to make sure there'd be enough money in the coffers. Sickeningly selfish campaigners that they are

Brandon's compensation draft pick says hi, possibly a first round pick like we got for Vickery.

Remember that next time some richflog complains that "the AFL nevers gives us nothing!"

Back