Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Not making any comparison in terms of abikity.

But hogan went through the exact same issues with his back as a 17/18 yo in the VFL

Harry being so young is similar to hogan in that he was a 17 yo pick.

Give him time to adjust and grow into his body.
Agreed. Harry needs time to play consistently well in the vfl then afl to even get close to the lofty expectations the op has for him.

And then there's the big difference in stepping up from VFL to AFL. A bloke like McBean couldn't and he's shown at lot at VFL. The Weid did it in one game yesterday, you can see he's going to belong at that level.

Let's hope Harry can emulate the latter as he looks a gem.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Agreed. Harry needs time to play consistently well in the vfl then afl to even get close to the lofty expectations the op has for him.

And then there's the big difference in stepping up from VFL to AFL. A bloke like McBean couldn't and he's shown at lot at VFL. The Weid did it in one game yesterday, you can see he's going to belong at that level.

Let's hope Harry can emulate the latter as he looks a gem.

So who is Harry like?
McBean or Vickery? Lol
and who is Ben like then?

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
So who is Harry like?
McBean or Vickery? Lol
and who is Ben like then?
The op asks if we should compare him to Hogan and Lynch.
Not sure what he is basing this off?
Kicking a couple of goals in a vfl game perhaps?

Fact is, he should play consistently at vfl level, then at afl level, then dominate an afl game or two, then start to put them in the same sentence.

Harry hasn't done any of this yet, hence the reason why the op is so hilarious.

The op asks if we should compare him to Hogan and Lynch.
Not sure what he is basing this off?

It's a two part equation that he's basing it off:
1) One of them plays for Carlton.
2) It's gillo.

Q.E.D.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
So your gut feel is they will play better than Weid, but you haven't seen Wied play

Sigh

My gut feel is this will be a good draft for tall forwards and many teams will benefit from it years from now

Lions will have Schache and Hipwood as a duo. Hipwood been very impressive
Blues can build around Charlie Curnow Jack Silvagni and Harry McKay. Plenty to be happy here as both Charlie and Jack been getting senior game time

NMFC have got Harry's twin Ben who I think will be great for them over next few years and Sam Weideman has had an impressive debut and exciting times ahead seeing him play alongside Jesse Hogan & Petracca
Do you agree?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
My gut feel is this will be a good draft for tall forwards and many teams will benefit from it years from now

Lions will have Schache and Hipwood as a duo. Hipwood been very impressive
Blues can build around Charlie Curnow Jack Silvagni and Harry McKay. Plenty to be happy here as both Charlie and Jack been getting senior game time

NMFC have got Harry's twin Ben who I think will be great for them over next few years and Sam Weideman has had an impressive debut and exciting times ahead seeing him play alongside Jesse Hogan & Petracca
Do you agree?

I think this will be a good generation of Key Forwards, they will make the Kennedys, Hawkins, Clokes, Walkers etc look 2nd class

You are all being dragged along here by the magician. It's glorious to watch.

And then, when the thread dissolves into a shambolic cesspool of banter, he will rub his hands and be gone.
200w-3.gif

mikeythemoocow

Cancelled
Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Mar 17, 2005
Nakatomi Plaza
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aussie Ahmed
If Harry ends up similar to Drew Peitre I'd be happy. Any better is a bonus.
That's no disrespect to Drew either, 300+ games and one AA is a great career.

Last edited:

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
If Harry ends up similar to Drew Peitre I'd be happy. Any better is a bonus.
That's no disrespect to Drew either, 300+ games and one AA is a great career.

Time will tell. Needs to get his body right and focus on preseason and think has good chance of getting there. Jack and Charlie will improve with another preseason to help Harry up forward

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Bit like Cam McCarthy?

The exception to the rule is interstate teams. Cam McCarthy is from WA and want to head home

McKay brothers are Victorian playing in Victoria, doesn't make sense them switching to Essendon while Cam McCarthy situation does

Back