Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be a hell of a selling job, given the howls of bemused disbelief from football world last week when he told the membership that Hawthorn would immediately bounce back and be much better in 2021 than in 2020.

Guitar was a nice touch though.

They'd have to perform above expectations, and by quite some distance. Lots more MCG games, but missing 2 of their best 3 players is going to hinder them in a big way.

Unless McKay is happy to join a rebuilding club (North, Hawthorn, Essendon, [Collingwood?]) I can't see an obvious fit.

- Dees are keen and cashed up and are prepared to offer a big $$$ and years contract for the young Carlton key forward. Blues surplus of forwards and recent splurge on imported talent have made them vulnerable to a raid. Martin and Williams alone will take up $2mil of their cap in 2021.

- One of Brayshaw or Viney will be put on the table as a makeweight in the deal.

- Make of it what you will but you heard it here first. The Dees see McKay as the last piece of the puzzle in a sustained presence in the top eight and a genuine premiership tilt.
Harry is fully committed to the CFC...he like all players want a flag...he won’t achieve his dream at MFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Harry apparently dominated the intra club

Could definetly see us do that

Not hard to dominate against our seconds team and a few ring ins, but he looks to have bulked up again and is kicking through the ball again.

He's in the perfect position to demand a big contract, with huge concerns over Charlie Curnow and all the right traits to start pushing into the elite bracket in the next couple of years. A big season this year could see him command up to 800k pa, and no doubt some clubs will contemplate throwing throwing up some big contracts for him.

Not hard to dominate against our seconds team and a few ring ins, but he looks to have bulked up again and is kicking through the ball again.

He's in the perfect position to demand a big contract, with huge concerns over Charlie Curnow and all the right traits to start pushing into the elite bracket in the next couple of years. A big season this year could see him command up to 800k pa, and no doubt some clubs will contemplate throwing throwing up some big contracts for him.
North would be absolutely mad not to throw big $$$ at Harry with his brother at North

They didnt take the KPF in the draft and went for the mid's and Harry would be a great fit at FF

North would be absolutely mad not to throw big $$$ at Harry with his brother at North

They didnt take the KPF in the draft and went for the mid's and Harry would be a great fit at FF

The difference here is that unlike the King boys; the McKay's would prefer to play on different teams (granted that was a long time ago now).

The McKay twins have yet to play a competitive game against each other but, after sharing a bedroom for 14 years and spending hours almost every day battling in the back yard, they want that chance.

“It would be better if we were at separate clubs,” Harry said.

“We’d grow and develop better away from each other,” Ben added. “And (when we play against each other) there’d be plenty of banter.”

Last edited:
Who would be playing on him, Parks? Don't think Marchy is ready yet, but even then neither him nor Parks are a proper KPDs. Just shows how thin our tall stocks are.

Who would be playing on him, Parks? Don't think Marchy is ready yet, but even then neither him nor Parks are a proper KPDs. Just shows how thin our tall stocks are.

Was mostly Oscar McDonald in the footage I saw.

Not the worst one-on-one matchup though, and probably as good as you can hope for at a club level.

I'm keeping my powder dry until he's kicking bags against opposition teams, but there's no reason he can't start dominating. He's now injury free, bulked up again and hasn't lost any of his power or athleticism. Looks like his jumping at the ball really well.

Was mostly Oscar McDonald in the footage I saw.

Not the worst one-on-one matchup though, and probably as good as you can hope for at a club level.

I'm keeping my powder dry until he's kicking bags against opposition teams, but there's no reason he can't start dominating. He's now injury free, bulked up again and hasn't lost any of his power or athleticism. Looks like his jumping at the ball really well.

He needs to start running through a few blokes like a bowling ball. Legally and all that. It's my only criticism; he sometimes just hangs back and doesnt steam through the third man up or loose defender.

The best forwards let you know they're there. I havent yet seen him start knocking blokes over like skittles like Fev, Brown, Riewoldt, Plugger, Brown etc etc all did.

When he starts doing that, he could be obnoxiously good.

Should be #1 Target for Richmond with Riewoldt coming to the end a Lynch/McKay foward line setup would be perfect
The problem as others have mentioned is that if he does have a big season as expected, he'll be a KPF coming into his prime and would command big dollars, but the contract is still likely to be based a little on potential unless he has an AA type year.

If cap wasn't an issue then definitely, but there's better ways the Tigers need to spend their money at the moment.

He needs to start running through a few blokes like a bowling ball. Legally and all that. It's my only criticism; he sometimes just hangs back and doesnt steam through the third man up or loose defender.

The best forwards let you know they're there. I havent yet seen him start knocking blokes over like skittles like Fev, Brown, Riewoldt, Plugger, Brown etc etc all did.

When he starts doing that, he could be obnoxiously good.

Needs to add some more aggression to his game, but I think it's partly the way he played his junior football and partly the way we've instructed him to play. Was also a beanpole junior and used to stay active at ground level if the ball was misdirected, so he could help to link up.

Doesn't play anywhere near his size, but at least in the past few season's he's really worked on launching at the ball. No defender is going to spoil him once he's got some minor separation.

I don't think Buddy is especially good at crashing through packs, and I think we're essentially trying to model McKay's game on his. Create the outlet lead, and if not beat his opponent back to goal. Long term he's probably going to play further up the field, as we reintegrate Charlie Curnow back into the team, but judging by the intra club footage he's going to be spending a fair bit of time deep forward.

Matthew Lloyd said that he turned down a big money offer from Essendon last year (no doubt they would have been trying to leverage this during the Saad negotiations).

He also grew up as an Essendon supporter - so perhaps he is a loyal personality and wants to stick with the group.

Matthew Lloyd said that he turned down a big money offer from Essendon last year (no doubt they would have been trying to leverage this during the Saad negotiations).

He also grew up as an Essendon supporter - so perhaps he is a loyal personality and wants to stick with the group.
Could come up again in Merrett discussions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back