Recommitted Harry McKay [Re-signs through to end of 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Melbourne and Carlton would be hoping their batch of long term deals signed this year result in at least one more flag for each group. It’s a risk but it’s what you have to do these days it seems.
As Cal Twomey just said on trade radio. Unless ur in a crisis like Treloar and Grundy with the Pies, these long term deals give the clubs back the power. If someone comes knocking for them under contract we can demand ridiculous overs, if we want to get rid of them at any stage we just take unders to offload their contracts. Either way theres no way any of them walk out the door as free agents for free and given we've heard Mckay, Curnow, Cripps etc all took significant unders to stay together and improve the list I'm wrapped about it.

gibbs, betts, waite. lost a few of the irish lads we pinned our hopes on.

a few of our mid-tier become guns elsewhere. jacobs, tuohy, maybe even robinson. some of these are pushed of course.

I think both Gibbs and the club were happy to move on there. We got excellent compensation.

Betts and Waite we can solely lay the blame on a former coach who didn't rate either of them.

gibbs, betts, waite. lost a few of the irish lads we pinned our hopes on.

a few of our mid-tier become guns elsewhere. jacobs, tuohy, maybe even robinson. some of these are pushed of course.
In the 2015 - 2016 trade periods. 6-7 years ago. We've had 3 different coaches and a whole new list since then. The only players still around from then are Ed Curnow, Cripps and Walsh.

Gibbs was almost finished and we theoretically did well out of that trade.

I repeat, our guns don't leave. Charlie, Harry, Walsh, Cripps and Weitering.

In terms of long-term contracts, they’re not going to work,” Cornes said on SEN Mornings.

“I guarantee you Carlton are going to get burnt, absolutely going to get burnt.

Harry McKay has got a bad back and they’ve just committed to him for eight years, it’s a big commitment.

“Eight years is ridiculous if you’re going to be completely fair about it.”

---

8 years for a cooked back sounds audacious

As Cal Twomey just said on trade radio. Unless ur in a crisis like Treloar and Grundy with the Pies, these long term deals give the clubs back the power. If someone comes knocking for them under contract we can demand ridiculous overs, if we want to get rid of them at any stage we just take unders to offload their contracts. Either way theres no way any of them walk out the door as free agents for free and given we've heard Mckay, Curnow, Cripps etc all took significant unders to stay together and improve the list I'm wrapped about it.

Or if they get injured 5 years in you have 2 more years stuck with their salary and no other club will touch them.

You then have to convince the player to retire and give up on a huge amount of money.

Or if they get injured 5 years in you have 2 more years stuck with their salary and no other club will touch them.

You then have to convince the player to retire and give up on a huge amount of money.
Yes because clubs never have long term injury clauses in any contracts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or you have to pay for a salary dump.

Any ideas what the big feller is getting paid?

No more like I've been diagnosed with a chronic back issue that will never allow me to get back on the park consistently for the rest of my career.

If he does an ACL or another 'bad' injury he's still 204cm and leads as well as any forward in the comp. His lateral movement won't be as good but he'll still be a very good forward so I wouldn't be worried. KPF and KPD are probably the only contracts I'm comfortable with being long term as they are less likely to be affected from their injuries compared to a midfielder who rely on their nimbleness and speed a lot more.

In terms of long-term contracts, they’re not going to work,” Cornes said on SEN Mornings.

“I guarantee you Carlton are going to get burnt, absolutely going to get burnt.

“Harry McKay has got a bad back and they’ve just committed to him for eight years, it’s a big commitment.

“Eight years is ridiculous if you’re going to be completely fair about it.”

---

8 years for a cooked back sounds audacious
Is this true?

So what are the conditions on his contract? And Curnow's?

If they do an ACL in year 4 and miss year 5 they can drop the final 2 years? They get 75% less in Year 4, 50% less in 5 and 6?

"You got injured during the course of your employment so we are going to pay you less money!"

No such clauses will ever exist. Players will be able to sue the pants off the club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back