Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

And what are you giving up for him?

Don’t tell me a 3rd round pick!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

tbh i dont want to pay what it would take to get hiom

i just think its funny is all

The advantage with North is that they are assembling the pieces due to a full rebuild. He can get in on the ground floor.

The midfield is sorted, young but the pieces are mostly in place.

I remember when we thought that at Carlton after picking up Walsh and Stocker 3 years ago.
Over three drafts we added Setterfield (pick 5), SPS (6), Dow (3), LOB (10), Walsh (1) and Stocker (16) to a 23 year old Cripps who was a top 3 mid in the league. It’s now are biggest weakness.

I remember when we thought that at Carlton after picking up Walsh and Stocker 3 years ago.
Over three drafts we added Setterfield (pick 5), SPS (6), Dow (3), LOB (10), Walsh (1) and Stocker (16) to a 23 year old Cripps who was a top 3 mid in the league. It’s now are biggest weakness.
I think your coach may be the biggest weakness. He has been in charge long enough to stamp his mark on the team, and it has been pretty underwhelming as they say.

I think your coach may be the biggest weakness. He has been in charge long enough to stamp his mark on the team, and it has been pretty underwhelming as they say.
[/QUOTE

Can you imagine Harry signing with a club where you dont know who your coach will be next season or the season after that....Imagine signing on and then finding out you have Ross Lyons or Voss...If Carlton dont sort out their coach first by resigning him before harry signs then Harry might leave and l'm not saying to North but to another club in less turmoil...

Can you imagine Harry signing with a club where you dont know who your coach will be next season or the season after that....Imagine signing on and then finding out you have Ross Lyons or Voss...If Carlton dont sort out their coach first by resigning him before harry signs then Harry might leave and l'm not saying to North but to another club in less turmoil...
Maybe. We signed players last year without a coach.

Yeah, basically you added a whole bunch of icing when the cake wasn’t yet built.

Outside of a Ruckman, your spine is good, Walsh is a superstar but your Skipper is looking more and more like Jack Ziebell every time he runs on to the field - not that there’s anything wrong with that per se, but he’s proven to be better than that.

I’m just glad my grandfather is not here to witness what your once-great club has turned into, he’d no doubt be throwing cans at some of the players from the ‘social club’ if he were still around.

Judd didn't care what happened with West Coast, he wanted to get paid his deal at Carlton.

Yeah nah:

“We were pretty clear on how we’d trade for him as well, because he had asked that, and one of the things that came about was that he wasn’t so sure that some of the other clubs could actually do the deal, and he wanted to hear how. He had input into that too. We said, ‘Look, we’re going to give up [Josh] Kennedy and pick three, but we don’t want to give up 20, and he said, ‘No, don’t give up 20’ because he thought that was a fair deal. He obviously wanted to leave on reasonable terms, but he didn’t want us to sell the farm in a sense. So we ended that discussion and then he went to see Melbourne, Essendon and Collingwood.”

The Eagle has landed: How Judd got to Carlton (carltonfc.com.au)

Reckon it's our assistant coaching panel myself.
As we have seen with Melbourne, having an assistant clean out over the off season and bringing in a better set of assistants to Goodwin has paid off big time. I favour that approach to Carlton.

Yeah, basically you added a whole bunch of icing when the cake wasn’t yet built.

Outside of a Ruckman, your spine is good, Walsh is a superstar but your Skipper is looking more and more like Jack Ziebell every time he runs on to the field - not that there’s anything wrong with that per se, but he’s proven to be better than that.

I’m just glad my grandfather is not here to witness what your once-great club has turned into, he’d no doubt be throwing cans at some of the players from the ‘social club’ if he were still around.

If Charlie Curnow had no suffered so many cruel injuries, Carlton would be in a much better place than we are now.

No doubt we blew a couple of FRPs (or at least didn't develop properly) in Dow and LOB, but CC in his prime best, is so exciting and IMO more important to us than Harry.

I am holding out hope Chuck can regain full fitness/come back from his knee setbacks. We can play him almost anywhere around the ground, esp the vulnerable wing/flank spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh I think we just presumed that most of the young highly rated mids we had on our list would come on and unfortunately to this point only Walsh has.

Not quite, he is relaying what Judd said and attributing motive to it.

How is Judd saying 'Pick 3 and Josh Kennedy is a fair deal on its own' in any way compatible with your comment of:

Judd didn't care what happened with West Coast, he wanted to get paid his deal at Carlton.

If he didnt ******* care what happened with West Coast, why did he make the ******* comments he made?

Reckon it's our assistant coaching panel myself.
As we have seen with Melbourne, having an assistant clean out over the off season and bringing in a better set of assistants to Goodwin has paid off big time. I favour that approach to Carlton.

If Charlie Curnow had no suffered so many cruel injuries, Carlton would be in a much better place than we are now.

No doubt we blew a couple of FRPs (or at least didn't develop properly) in Dow and LOB, but CC in his prime best, is so exciting and IMO more important to us than Harry.

I am holding out hope Chuck can regain full fitness/come back from his knee setbacks. We can play him almost anywhere around the ground, esp the vulnerable wing/flank spots.
Player development is a big problem at both our clubs. I think North have somewhat sorted it out with the addition of John Blakey but we won't really know for a few years. Doesn't really matter how many top draft picks you have if your player development coaches are garbage.

How is Judd saying 'Pick 3 and Josh Kennedy is a fair deal on its own' in any way compatible with your comment of:

If he didnt ******* care what happened with West Coast, why did he make the ******* comments he made?

She's trolling you.

He is almost certainly going to North. From a source close to Carlton.

And i dislike north as much as Carlton so i dont care if people want to meltdown. Watch what happens.
So was Martin Gaff and Kelly and i dis like Carlton as much as Richmond. Lets wait and see but highly doubt he will be with the Roos next year.

it’ll come down to how the football department is run....if Noble is as good as they are saying then you won’t have to throw massive dollars at him to come.

Maybe you should have a chat to Richmond about list management principles.

Richmond gave Lynch $900k a year for 7 years. You also have to factor Richmond was already successful at this time, he would have realistically cost a club that didn't have to shed mature players to squeeze him in a lot more.

In general I agree with your sentiment, I wasn't a huge fan of the kind of money we were throwing at Kelly, DeGoey, etc and definitely not what we paid for Polec but some type of players are worth spending the money on. A back flanker... not in my opinion. But a good key forward should be within the highest paid players because they are a lot harder to come by and usually take a lot longer to develop.

Half our list are on mandatory AFL draft salaries and those are way below what the average player earns, to bring contracts forward, you need to have players who are on larger, longer-term contracts. You don't overpay kids or stick them on massive contracts, that is how Collingwood butchered their salary cap. We have moved on the vast majority of our mature players and most of the valuable guys are now too old, we have a bit of a deadzone in that 25-27ish age group, other than Luke McDonald there aren't many that I think will be at the club long-term.

I don't think we should be paying a potential recruit massively over what they are worth, however, we have space to pay someone a bit of a premium. Lynch cost Richmond $900k a year, what would someone who won the spoon have to offer him to choose a rebuilding club over a contender? It would have to be a lot more. That has nothing to do with Noble's reputation, it is the reality of supply vs demand.

I have no doubt if North offered Harry McKay $1.3 mil x 7 years ( $9 mil )
They would have enough in their cap to pay $5 mil of that just in his 1st year leaving $4 mil over 6 years for the rest of his contract

So basically what they are doing is $715,000 a year with a $4 mil sign on bonus
looking at the north list they have Cunnington , Polec , Tyson ,Tarrant , Ziebull , Goldstein that would have been paid to the full and playing out the rest of their contracts for free or will be delisted and the rest re just kids or the core of the rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back