Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
i just doubt any team would even enquire about harry, he wont go anywhere and they all know that. the only team that may splash cash to try is the team that does it every year, north, brother ben may try to get into his ear. But with carlton on the up and him as the main focus i dont see him entertaining the idea of going somewhere else, most teams would know that as well.

Interestingly enough, Ben is out of contract and we could use a developing KPD. Jones is getting a little long in the tooth...

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Interestingly enough, Ben is out of contract and we could use a developing KPD. Jones is getting a little long in the tooth...
Yes Jones is getting old, but Carlton also lacks proper KPD depth if one of Weiters or Jones was injured. Casboult will be covering for Charlie's spot in the forward line until he comes back from injury.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is this the same Ben King who averages less disposals, disposal efficiency, kicking efficiency, inside 50s, metres gained, clearances, tackles, marks, contested marks, marks on lead, intercept marks, marks inside 50, tackles, pressure acts and goals than Harry McKay across their careers?

LOL... you think that is the metric to measure the output of a 3rd year player versus that of a 6th year player?

Interesting method of data analysis.

I believe Ben King is worth more on the Open Market than Harry. I would prefer Ben King to McKay and I believe in year 6, his stats will be superior.

In any case it’s 1.4 v 1.5 goals per game (career) so it’s not even that close given Harry has had 3 more years to get his body AFL ready.

I said he was better than Max King, that’s a pretty good wrap, isn’t it?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Can’t wait to trade one of the most promising young talls in the game for a free agent :drunk:
viney the FA on the table?
I wouldn’t trade McKay for the entire Melbourne footy club
This fairy tale has got more holes in it than a sieve.

If Martin is on another million next year his final 2 years he will be on $300k a year max.

Williams hasn't signed yet- if he does it will be about $800k a year which would be heavily front loaded.

So when Mckay is out of contract at the end of 2021 we will have enough for his pay rise.

Not to mention Viney is a FA- why would we trade?
This was my favourite part. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Same one that had you swearing black and blue that Melbourne were going to draft Jack Martin in the PSD?
Carlton would simply refuse to trade him. He won't be going anywhere. Don't blame opposition clubs for trying. I rate him higher than Charlie Curnow.
Great troll thread/shitpost.

Can you throw in the Wagner brothers and Mitch Hannan?
Lels what. Give us petracca and oliver

All you Carlton Fans rate him highly obviously. He is 204cm and plays forward and can ruck. An early 1st rounder in the 2015 draft just like Weitering. This will be Harry McKays 6th season in 2021. I predict he will kick 30-40 goals this season too if he plays at least 20 games.

Some Carlton fans on here want him to secure s 3-4 year deal. I dont think he will leave Carlton either.

I think he will sign a 2 year deal midway or late in this season. Which will tie Carlton to him for 8 seasons and makes him a free agent.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
In any case it’s 1.4 v 1.5 goals per game (career) so it’s not even that close given Harry has had 3 more years to get his body AFL ready.

In reality, McKay has not really had 3 more years to do that. For one, he was the youngest player is his draft, so is more like 2 years older than King than 3. If he was born a couple of weeks later, he would have gone into the next years draft. HM also missed most of his first 2 seasons with serious injuries.

Not really here to say McKay is better than King or vice versa, but think those couple of thigs are important to note. I think both are on track to become excellent players.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In reality, McKay has not really had 3 more years to do that. For one, he was the youngest player is his draft, so is more like 2 years older than King than 3. If he was born a couple of weeks later, he would have gone into the next years draft. HM also missed most of his first 2 seasons with serious injuries.

Not really here to say McKay is better than King or vice versa, but think those couple of thigs are important to note. I think both are on track to become excellent players.

Yes but injuries play a big part, otherwise Tom Curran would have been better than Harry.

I like Harry, would love him at the Roos, but he is no world beater, he’s Drew Petrie in a tuxedo.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes but injuries play a big part, otherwise Tom Curran would have been better than Harry.

I like Harry, would love him at the Roos, but he is no world beater, he’s Drew Petrie in a tuxedo.
I'm fine with the Petrie comparison...if Harry can string together multiple 50 or so goal seasons, that's certainly no underachievement.

I don't see him going to that next level KPF tier of a Hawkins/Kennedy, but won't be too upset if he does...

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm fine with the Petrie comparison...if Harry can string together multiple 50 or so goal seasons, that's certainly no underachievement.

I don't see him going to that next level KPF tier of a Hawkins/Kennedy, but won't be too upset if he does...

Larkey is more like Petrie, McKay is a level ahead (marking) and level below at goal kicking IMO.

I think alongside CC, he would be terrific and I look forward to seeing the baggers in 2021 and beyond, if I had a second team it would be Carlton.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
McKay is a jet. Not too many 21-22 year olds have monstered KPDs like he has the past few years.

He also has a bit of X Factor about him. Tends to get on a roll and can be quiet for a half and then will go and take 5 contested marks and kick a few goals in ten minutes. Young KPFs who can win you games like that don't just grow on trees.

Last edited:

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
He’d be asking for a Charlie Curnow type of contract. 4 years at $800k a year. And he should get it from the Blues based on both their output and potential.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’d be asking for a Charlie Curnow type of contract. 4 years at $800k a year. And he should get it from the Blues based on both their output and potential.
He'll get it at the blues because their other tall forward players are unreliable or injured.
There will be others asking and potentially offering a lot more.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

well Drew Petrie kicked like 420 goals in a 15 or 16 year period at north.

Saying that..... Seeing Harry McKay play tonight. The bloke worked hard and kept the Richmond backline honest.

Both him and casboult can be a handful.

Still predict McKay will sign a 2 year extension

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Lels what. Give us petracca and oliver
Well McKay was solid tonight. Him and Levi casboult were a handful tonight.

Has McKay or his agent said anything yet?

I predicted him to sign a 2 year extension by mid season or late in the season.

Changed my mind. If he demands 3 years in good money to stay, Carlton will accept it. You would be stupid not to.

Why get rid of him after 5-6 years of development and have his prime years at another club?

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Big Kosi vibes in that he has all the athletic traits but comes off as a pretty dumb footballer.
Yeh I’d say he hasn’t got a great football brain, looks lazy but I don’t know if that’s just because he isn’t smart enough. In saying that he was coming back from injury and although he was pretty poor still managed to have 5 shots on goal against the best defence in the league. Is on track for 110 shots on goal this year after 1 down game.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With Larkey struggling more and more in the forward line I'd be in his ear and offering him some serious money to come across.
Good tall forwards dont come on trees and North gave away a pretty good one in the draft.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I am confident that we will re-sign Harry, its more about him proving his value.. If he has a 50 goal+ season his market value will explode, its all up to H.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A case of Carlton fans definitely overrate him and some opposition fans might underrate him.

I think he's down the bottom of the list of the next gen group of the main key forwards, given he's a year or two older than most of them.

The Petrie comparison isn't to far off tbh. Maybe not in absolute game style, but output possibly. Drew got an AA spot as a ruck/forward in 2011. He also went at 1.35 goals per game in over 300 games.

Bot bad considering he played around 100 of those at CHB or in the ruck.

Harry strikes me as the type that might jag an AA spot once in his career, but that's about it. A solid best 6-8 key forward in the comp for most of his career.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
A case of Carlton fans definitely overrate him and some opposition fans might underrate him.

I think he's down the bottom of the list of the next gen group of the main key forwards, given he's a year or two older than most of them.

The Petrie comparison isn't to far off tbh. Maybe not in absolute game style, but output possibly. Drew got an AA spot as a ruck/forward in 2011. He also went at 1.35 goals per game in over 300 games.

Harry strikes me as the type that might jag an AA spot once in his career, but that's about it. A solid best 6-8 key forward in the comp for most of his career.

Interesting, i think they are nothing alike but us Carlton fans who have seen so many glimpses of Harry to get excited about however he just never puts it together in 1 game... We have frustratingly felt that he is a moment away from break out game where he kicks 6 and tears apart a game and becomes the player we all know he is capable of being.. but it just hasnt come.. He has electric speed, he is 200cm tall, good on the ground, his kicking technique is flawless yet he is still just a 'potential' player.... I think the excuses are running out for him, and being out of contract knowing that a big pay day is available if he can make it click, but if he doesnt.. he will probably peter about with a 150 game career never reaching his potential.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Interesting, i think they are nothing alike but us Carlton fans who have seen so many glimpses of Harry to get excited about however he just never puts it together in 1 game... We have frustratingly felt that he is a moment away from break out game where he kicks 6 and tears apart a game and becomes the player we all know he is capable of being.. but it just hasnt come.. He has electric speed, he is 200cm tall, good on the ground, his kicking technique is flawless yet he is still just a 'potential' player.... I think the excuses are running out for him, and being out of contract knowing that a big pay day is available if he can make it click, but if he doesnt.. he will probably peter about with a 150 game career never reaching his potential.
His brother just played his best game for us on the weekend. It will be a good clash when the 2 next meet. Ben has been a slow burn but we also are getting glimpses of a very good player in the making.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Outside of performance it would do wonders for marketing at North in the long term.
A brother at either end of the ground commanding from each goal post.
Could get an easy 10 years out of the partnership too.

Back