Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

The panel on FC all agreed that McKay shouldn't get payed more than Crippa.

He's going to get bigger offers from rival clubs going to be interesting how Blues handle this McKay might have to take less to stay imo

Out of interst how many club captains would be the highest paid players at their clubs?

Fyfe, Bont and Gawn, any others?

So i don't really understand why Cripps has to be paid more.

The panel on FC all agreed that McKay shouldn't get payed more than Crippa.

He's going to get bigger offers from rival clubs going to be interesting how Blues handle this McKay might have to take less to stay imo
Elite tall forwards are worth a lot more to a club than above average midfielders.
They probably still think think cripps is the same player he was in 2018.

He is only 26 it's very possible.

That said you wonder how much fuel is left in the tank after such a crash and bash style
He's on his last legs and needs to go to a side with an established midfield that wont require him to carry every week to be successful.
Players can obviously rebuild themselves and their career but I think cripps needs a change.

They offered up the cash to poach Saad, McGovern (although the Crows would have loved that), Jack Martin, Williams from other clubs and you feel sorry for them?
Feel sorry for them in that I feel their pain having it happen to us so many times.
Its one of the frustrations as a supporter. You draft them, you get excited to see them develop, they start to hit their straps in a position you need them in and a team comes along and offers more than you can.

They offered up the cash to poach Saad, McGovern (although the Crows would have loved that), Jack Martin, Williams from other clubs and you feel sorry for them?
McGovern got dogged by Adelaide in his contract, that played a big part. The dogs offered more for Martin and Saad was offered the same by Essendon. Williams was all about money.

ATM he is going to cost probably ~$200k more then expected. It’s unfortunate but not that big of a deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a north fan I'd be happy to offer 1.2-3mil for Harry with the insane warchest we have this year.
Front load the sh*t out of the contract to the point that we're only paying him in the ranges of 700k in the following years and it doesn't seem unreasonable.
We're going to struggle to pay the required 95% cap this year anyway.

Could Harry really say no to a quick 2-2.5mil in his bank account the day after the trade period ends?

If I were Harry I would be taking that offer.

People really think North are a chance here. We know this story already. North throw "life changing" money at a star player and end up missing out.

1.3 million is insane. I'd be taking it too, and he could go with my blessing.

Our offer will be something like 750 on 2 years to take him up to 8 years F/A.

Uncontracted so we'd have to accept a 1st and a reasonable player.

Playing devil's advocate here, is there anything to stop North saying we will give you 1 million bucks to come, but we will give you 1.3 million to come via the PSD?

People really think North are a chance here. We know this story already. North throw "life changing" money at a star player and end up missing out.

Look at the calibre of poster pushing that line of thinking. Nothing more needs to be said really.

Most rational supporters - North, Carlton and otherwise - know he's no chance of going to North.

1.3 million is insane. I'd be taking it too, and he could go with my blessing.

Our offer will be something like 750 on 2 years to take him up to 8 years F/A.

Uncontracted so we'd have to accept a 1st and a reasonable player.
to start with, theres no way we have 1.3 mil per season spare - like, 0%, so this wouldn't be a legitimate report.

but secondly, I think it's been established in the AFL system that when trades like that happen you end up with a couple of first round picks + some change, and players (particularly good players) aren't involved. It's not like the NBA/NFL where you can trade a player against their will to benefit the club (and forcing them out the door tends to be a really bad idea re. club culture).

eg.

Dixon - 10 + future second
Treloar - 7 + 65 + future first
T.Mitchell - 14 +52
Prestia - 6 + future second
O'Meara - 10 + future second
Lever - 10 + future first + future fourth
Gibbs - 10 + 16 + 73 + future second
Neale - 6 + 19 + 55
Kelly - 14 + 24 + 33 + future first
Hogan - 6 + 23

the only examples of players being involved in a big name since trading future picks was allowed.

Dangerfield - 9 + 28 + Dean Gore (fringe who was delisted)
Wingard - 15 + 35 + future 4th + Burton (Adelaide boy who supported Port as a kid - said he only agreed because he didn't feel wanted at Hawks anymore)
Brad Hill - 10 + 58 + future second + future 4th + Blake Acres (fringe)

McGovern got dogged by Adelaide in his contract, that played a big part. The dogs offered more for Martin and Saad was offered the same by Essendon. Williams was all about money.

ATM he is going to cost probably ~$200k more then expected. It’s unfortunate but not that big of a deal.

With the benefit of hindsight Adelaide valued McGovern more accurately.

At the moment perhaps 200K YEAH but what if he keeps kicking lots of goals and stays unsigned?

At the moment perhaps 200K YEAH but what if he keeps kicking lots of goals and stays unsigned?

For the record, McGovern left mostly because of what happened at the camp, and is not getting paid as much as what Riccuito and most Crows fans think he is.

to start with, theres no way we have 1.3 mil per season spare - like, 0%, so this wouldn't be a legitimate report.

but secondly, I think it's been established in the AFL system that when trades like that happen you end up with a couple of first round picks + some change, and players (particularly good players) aren't involved. It's not like the NBA/NFL where you can trade a player against their will to benefit the club (and forcing them out the door tends to be a really bad idea re. club culture).

Oh no, I agree with all that. These offers of 1.2 or 1.3 million are insane fantasy land stuff. If they actually eventuated then he can walk with my blessing, laughing all the way to the bank.

If he did decide to go elsewhere, we'd ask for a 1st (this year or next) plus a decent player (we can slot into the midfield).

Contracted, McKay at present would be a (nope) when it came to a trade, but a minimum of 2 x 1sts would be the going rate if we were to entertain trading him contracted.

Uncontracted, his trade value goes down. I dont think a future 1st and a decent player for a year or two is overs.

Playing devil's advocate here, is there anything to stop North saying we will give you 1 million bucks to come, but we will give you 1.3 million to come via the PSD?

Other than the AFL rules prohibiting Draft Tampering, nope.

PRECEDENT INFORMATION PAGE (afl.com.au)

Specifically Rule 29.1

See also, Adelaide and Tippet.

North cant exactly come with a crazy offer and then refuse to negotiate a trade in good faith. Arbitration steps in in that case.

Any trade would be for 'unders' due to his contract situation, but talks of 'walking him to the PSD without making a reasonable trade proposal' are fantasy.

Oh no, I agree with all that. These offers of 1.2 or 1.3 million are insane fantasy land stuff. If they actually eventuated then he can walk with my blessing, laughing all the way to the bank.

If he did decide to go elsewhere, we'd ask for a 1st (this year or next) plus a decent player (we can slot into the midfield).

Contracted, McKay at present would be a (nope) when it came to a trade, but a minimum of 2 x 1sts would be the going rate if we were to entertain trading him contracted.

Uncontracted, his trade value goes down. I dont think a future 1st and a decent player for a year or two is overs.
oh for sure that would be the asking rate, but I just don't see players ever getting involved in trades without reason now that futures are involved, ie. behind closed doors they already asked to go home type of thing.

It's kind of like when Dodoro was asking for one of Heeney or Blakey to be involved in the Daniher trade in 2019 or when we were asking for a player in the O'Meara trade. The question is always put out there but it never really eventuates.

It was that they apparently lied to him. They were probably paying him bang on what he was worth.

He will still stay for unders or go for massive overs. If it gets stupid and over $1mil then that’s when we probably go looking for his replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back