Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
oh for sure that would be the asking rate, but I just don't see players ever getting involved in trades without reason, ie. behind closed doors they already asked to go home type of thing.

Plenty of examples of players being tapped on the shoulder and pushed into a trade (Josh Kennedy in the Judd trade for example, Burton at the Hawks, Treloar last year etc).

They still have to accept of course, but with the immediate trajectory of Norths list being 'bottom out rebuild' it shouldnt be too hard to convince them.

bluebaggerjuls

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other than the AFL rules prohibiting Draft Tampering, nope.

PRECEDENT INFORMATION PAGE (afl.com.au)

Specifically Rule 29.1

See also, Adelaide and Tippet.

North cant exactly come with a crazy offer and then refuse to negotiate a trade in good faith. Arbitration steps in in that case.

Any trade would be for 'unders' due to his contract situation, but talks of 'walking him to the PSD without making a reasonable trade proposal' are fantasy.

isn't that exactly what Adelaide did with hately tho.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
isn't that exactly what Adelaide did with hately tho.

No, and it wasnt what we did with Martin either.

We offered an early second round pick for Martin, which GCS refused. Adelaide reportedly offered either pick 23 or 40 for Hately which the Giants knocked back. Both clubs then tabled an offer to those players on terms (after the trade couldnt be done), and took them in the PSD.

Thats a little different to providing a financial incentive inducing the player to avoid a trade in advance, to force them into PSD, and then refusing to deal with the oppo club.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Not one player in the league is worth 1.3 P/A, especially under current Salary Cap regulation.

And no way in hell does 'battling North' have that money to spend anyway.

Finally it is on record that North offered Zac Williams quite a bit more coin per season than us, yet he still chose Carlton.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
If Harry left, I don’t think Carlton would get adequate compo from North. Their second rounder would be their first and last offer, knowing they could get him in the PSD.

In saying that, I don’t think he will leave, but his manager should be asking for $1m a year, and he’ll get it as well.

DeezNuts

Team Captain
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Tricky period ahead for Carlton's list management team with Mcgovern, Curnow, Martin, Saad, Weitering, Williams etc all already signed up on relatively big deals

I think the onus is on Cripps here, might need to take a fair chunk less than he was expecting on his next deal to keep them all together

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Tricky period ahead for Carlton's list management team with Mcgovern, Curnow, Martin, Saad, Weitering, Williams etc all already signed up on relatively big deals

I think the onus is on Cripps here, might need to take a fair chunk less than he was expecting on his next deal to keep them all together

Martin's contract was heavily front loaded for his first 2 seasons

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
North should offer one of those 7 year 8 million dollar contracts to lure Harry McKay

I love when other clubs put pressure on others, his brother already plays for the club.

Going from Ben Brown to Harry McKay would be a big win in the space of a year.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
North should offer one of those 7 year 8 million dollar contracts to lure Harry McKay

I love when other clubs put pressure on others, his brother already plays for the club.

Going from Ben Brown to Harry McKay would be a big win in the space of a year.

There will be no pressure. Our offer will stand at around 750k.

If he walks on that sort of money, we'll take the 1st rounder and grab a Kelly or Merrett as a F/A.

Handsome.B.Wonderful

Premiership Player
Jan 13, 2006
Bigfooty
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t remember the last big name player North recruited. They just don’t have that pull. Ben playing there is the only positive and that is probably offset by getting regularly belted for the next 40 odd games.

It depends if you are talking about "big names" or great recruits who performed. Waite, Dal Santo & Higgins all chose North and performed well in finals, playing big parts in teams that made Prelims.

Carlton have landed the "big names" in Saad, Williams and McGovern but they aren't of the same quality and haven't performed yet.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
It depends if you are talking about "big names" or great recruits who performed. Waite, Dal Santo & Higgins all chose North and performed well in finals, playing big parts in teams that made Prelims.

Carlton have landed the "big names" in Saad, Williams and McGovern but they aren't of the same quality and haven't performed yet.

You could argue North’s recruits have performed better yes.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I’ll also argue that Dal Santo, Waite and Higgins are all far bigger names than Saad, Williams and McGovern.

Put it this way, Nick Dal Santo has played more games than all of Carlton’s “big names” put together.

So what ?
Zac Williams took far less money to come play with us than join your mob.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Merrett isn't going to join Carlton unless you improve your current standing significantly and make finals.

I tend to agree.

While we've had issues defensively this year and can play better than we have, we've also had a tough start to the year with losses to the top 3 from last year (Port, Tigers, Brissy) and games coming up against the top 2 this year (Dogs and Melbourne) over the next two weeks.

We've beaten teams we should beat (Freo, Suns, Bombers) and lost to teams that are frankly better than us (Port, Tigers, Brissy) with a loss to Collingwood being the aberration (and one we should have won). While our wins were scratchy, we also havent been blown away in any losses either.

If we can snatch a win over the next 2 games, we'll be 4 and 5, and have a pretty good run coming up after that with Hawthorn, Sydney (A), West Coast (MCG), GWS (A), Adelaide (MCG), Freo (A), Geelong (MCG), Collingwood, North, St Kilda, GCS (Marvel), and then Port (A).

Other than the Port game in Adelaide, and the Hawks game (because they have the wood on us, and we can NOT seem to beat them for some reason) they're all winnable, and with the way this season is going, positions 6-8 on the ladder are anyone's.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils

If he walks on that sort of money, we'll take the 1st rounder and grab a Kelly or Merrett as a F/A.
I know but you kind of need to keep McKay all you will be relying on Casboult as the main man.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton

Yup agree and say a pick 1 or 2 in this years draft will be an elite midfielder and great addition to Sam Walsh.
Add a Kelly or Merritt for maturity and mentoring one of whom should be feasible and will have a very potent midfield.

bluebaggerjuls

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Yup agree and say a pick 1 or 2 in this years draft will be an elite midfielder and great addition to Sam Walsh.
Add a Kelly or Merritt for maturity and mentoring one of whom should be feasible and will have a very potent midfield.

casboult omac and gov up forward to finish off the mids work

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not one player in the league is worth 1.3 P/A, especially under current Salary Cap regulation.

And no way in hell does 'battling North' have that money to spend anyway.

Finally it is on record that North offered Zac Williams quite a bit more coin per season than us, yet he still chose Carlton.

Dusty is worth $3m

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Blues fans thinking how much a player gets paid has any connection to trade value are going to be in for a disappointing trade period if Mackay noms North
yeah... no club is going to give up pick 1 for a player from another club when they can simply offer up something else and if the club they are dealing with dont like it.. well they just walk that player to the PSD and take him for nothing.

and the carlton supporters here somehow claiming that this cant happen with a 1 million a year player.. pffft.. your own club did it just two years ago.. you all boasted loudly to us about how your club structured Martin’s salary at a million a year for the first year to screw the suns over and make sure no one else took him before you in the PSD..

the AFL wont do a thing about it and it wont go to some mysterious ‘arbitration’.. just as what Carlton did with Martin didnt..

whats good for the goose...

all that being said.. I dont think mckay will go to north.. we hear this “he’s gonna go to north on a million a year” claim every year and it never happens.. I bet it is nearly always rumours generated by the players manager just attempting to drive the price up..

Back