Movie Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Also known as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Also known as "Harry Potter and the Stoned Philosopher". 14-year-old me didn't fully get the joke. That changed in the years ahead!

Was 14 when this came out. It was 2001's highest-grossing film. Remember seeing it in the cinema, then again at the cinema because school took us, then mum wanted to see it again at the cinema, then she bought it for me on DVD. Rewatched it a few years ago with the intention of doing the whole series (which didn't happen). Point is I've seen this movie numerous times even though I don't really love it.

Anyway it was probably better than I remembered. Funnier. Not in a haha way. It's a kids film. As an adult instead of a teen you can appreciate the pissiness more. There's some jokes that come off as subtle rips on itself.

Compared to some blockbusters dished up now (MCU) a lot of effort went into it all. Story, characters, location, effects. They nailed the music in a Jurassic Park way. Iconic stuff that now instantly reminds people of Harry Potter. Ron and Hermione actors were better than Harry. Guess I'll see if that changes. It has me looking forward to finishing the series this time around even if this did feel a bit like an obligatory viewing.

I watched the 159-minute extended version.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Im actually re reading the boks at the moment and watching the films after ive read the books.

Ive seen the films a bunch of times but whenever i do re watch them i tend to come in at Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire.

Philisophers Stone is actually pretty good (although i think the MCU comparisons arent really apt, both franchises took alot of care with the world building and casting and it is easier in a single contained story than in the MCU with multiple narratives that need to be interwoven).

Real hard diagree on the acting as well. Radcliffe is great as Harry sort of disconnected and weird (which is honestly probably les acting and more natural anyway). Emma Watson visibly mouths her co-stars lines in scenes and Rupert Grint isnt at all the Ron from the books. Tom Felton as Draco is by far away the best of the child actors as Draco closely followed by Matthew Lewis as Neville Longbottom is also great.

Its a real shame Richard Harris passed, i never had an issue with Michael Gambon as Dumbledore but watching this and Chamber of Secrets hes just fantastic and very very different to Gambon.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yeah same. Gambon is genuinely one of the great Brit thespians of the last couple decades, I'd put him on the next tier up from someone already magnificent like Richard Harris, but Harris was just beautiful as Dumbledore in a way you just wouldn't quite be able to get from Gambon, a hard act to follow.

The first 3 adaptations are the only ones I really feel attached to, but the film series was solid throughout.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not sure how Richard Harris would've gone in the duel scene against Voldemort in Order of the Phoenix. The bloke looked pretty decrepit in the first two.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Real hard diagree on the acting as well. Radcliffe is great as Harry sort of disconnected and weird (which is honestly probably les acting and more natural anyway). Emma Watson visibly mouths her co-stars lines in scenes and Rupert Grint isnt at all the Ron from the books.

Depends on whether he was told to be like Ron from the books.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ron being mostly comic relief until the 7th movie suggests there was a change in direction from the books

Allezjuel

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
This movie was a massive part of my childhood and I've probably seem it close to 10 times.

Having said that after re-watching this recently with the pessmism of an adult I do find the "frosty chocolate milkshake ending" quite irking in that Harry and Co are rewarded for disrespecting authority and doing everything they were told not to do and previously punished for. Slytherin were cheated out of the house cup and rightfully pissed.

The formula of the kids sneaking around trying to avoid teachers solving a mystery was repeated in CoS. PoA we finally buck this story trend as the story becomes a bit more darker/mature. Which I think is the greatest aspect of growing up with the franchise, the story matures as it's characters did and also a huge chunk of it's audience.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
This movie was a massive part of my childhood and I've probably seem it close to 20 times.

Having said that after re-watching this recently with the pessmism of an adult I do find the "frosty chocolate milkshake ending" quite irking in that Harry and Co are rewarded for disrespecting authority and doing everything they were told not to do and previously punished for. Slytherin were cheated out of the house cup and rightfully pissed.

The formula of the kids sneaking around trying to avoid teachers solving a mystery was repeated in CoS. PoA we finally buck this story trend as the story becomes a bit more darker/mature. Which I think is the greatest aspect of growing up with the franchise, the story matures as it's characters did and also a huge chunk of it's audience.

Dumbledore is a f**king cheat the whole time. Honestly they should have done Dumbledore doing
Albus: “400 points to Harry for a particularly impressive wet fart and they win the house cup”
Minerva: “but slytherin were up by 420”
Albus: .... “whatever give longbottom 25 for being a goofy looking s**theel NOW GET IT SCARLETT UP IN THIS BITCH!!!”

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Goal of the movie aside from introducing Harry and co is to make you wish Hogwarts is the school you went to. A perfect school year when scary things aren't happening.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
BUMP!

I don't know if any of you have ever played Werewolf on BigFooty before (or the real life version of it or similar games like Mafia or Town Of Salem), but if you haven't, Itsmyshow is starting up a new game this week that will be Harry Potter themed. Every player will have a role based on someone in the Harry Potter.

The concept of the game is pretty simple - there are two evil factions and a team of good players, each trying to get rid of all the other factions. Each day in the game thread, everyone (both evil factions and all the good players) discuss who's acting suspicious and then votes for who they want to "lynch" that day. Where it gets a bit more complicated is overnight, as the evil factions and some good players have actions they can perform privately that don't get revealed until the next morning (e.g. killing another player, protecting someone or finding out someone's role etc). Over the course of a few days, the numbers dwindle until one of the teams win the game by taking out everyone from the other factions.

It's addictive fun and we're always looking for new players to join. So if you're at all interested, just reply to the below thread with "In" and Itsmyshow will add you to the list of players.

Back