News Hart and Godden sacked

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
The only thing that makes us Sturt supporters feel better about this is that we are also third on the Premierships list. But yeah that run of spoons was tough, thanks god for fabulous Phil.

ClubPremiershipsRunners UpTop Two Finish
Port Adelaide363877
Norwood302353
Sturt151126
North Adelaide141428
South Adelaide111223
West Adelaide9918
Central District9514
Glenelg51318
West Torrens *459
Woodville-West Torrens3710
Adelaide (original) *101
Victorian *112
Woodville *000
Adelaide (reserves)000
Phil was a revelation to a 90's kid like me who had only known Sturt to be perennial spooners.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Phil was a revelation to a 90's kid like me who had only known Sturt to be perennial spooners.

I grew up thinking Sturt wins were some weird rare event that weren't supposed to happen

We did footy tipping for both AFL/SANFL growing up - The odd occasion someone tipped Sturt was some kind of desperate attempt to make up ground at the end of the season that never worked

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
As a heads-up, it's pretty common for defenders to be forward coaches. Nathan Bassett is one currently for Port Power. The reason is - experienced defenders have seen the techniques of dozens of different forwards, while an experienced forward only really knows their own.
Its also common for forwards like JPod to ne defence line coaches as they can teach defenders the running and lead patterns of forwards

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
I grew up thinking Sturt wins were some weird rare event that weren't supposed to happen

We did footy tipping for both AFL/SANFL growing up - The odd occasion someone tipped Sturt was some kind of desperate attempt to make up ground at the end of the season that never worked
Being a little older, I got to enjoy the 70's run, with the 60's run not that far in the rear view mirror. That run of spoons was heartbreaking, as was the state of the club in general during that time. A few good individuals deserve a lot of credit for lifting us back up, both on and off the field. I'd like one of them, in particular, on the AFC board tbh.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
It's funny, a lot of people around the club, not necessarily past players mind you, speak fondly of him.

He was a bit before my time so I don't really know though.
I seem to remember that Davies being dropped and leaving caused a lot of trouble from then on it was a series of * ups.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
The only thing that makes us Sturt supporters feel better about this is that we are also third on the Premierships list. But yeah that run of spoons was tough, thanks god for fabulous Phil.

ClubPremiershipsRunners UpTop Two Finish
Port Adelaide363877
Norwood302353
Sturt151126
North Adelaide141428
South Adelaide111223
West Adelaide9918
Central District9514
Glenelg51318
West Torrens *459
Woodville-West Torrens3710
Adelaide (original) *101
Victorian *112
Woodville *000
Adelaide (reserves)000
.......and we have the wood over Port in head to head grand finals

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Being a little older, I got to enjoy the 70's run, with the 60's run not that far in the rear view mirror. That run of spoons was heartbreaking, as was the state of the club in general during that time. A few good individuals deserve a lot of credit for lifting us back up, both on and off the field. I'd like one of them, in particular, on the AFC board tbh.
She’s an Adelaide supporter so it’s a possibility

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Interesting comments from Kelly
1.17 mark looks like they are looking at assistant coaches from teams playing in the finals
So who are the midfield and Forwards assistant coaches still involved in the finals

Really like listening to this guy. Just seems to get it.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
2) As a heads-up, it's pretty common for defenders to be forward coaches. Nathan Bassett is one currently for Port Power.
1) The reason is - experienced defenders have seen the techniques of dozens of different forwards, while an experienced forward only really knows their own.
Seeing, and knowing, then.
1) you make a very good point here, that I had not considered ie the exposure an experienced defender gets, to what good forwards do, at close quarters. Even so, a defender is not a mind-reader. He might see what they do, but would he understand the reasons why? He wouldn't be able to ask them why, well, not until his playing days are over, but anybody could do that eg a ruckman, or a mid, who also see what forwards do. In fact, don't we all see that, watching games live or on TV and replays too? My point is: watching someone do something and understanding why are very different, unless you do them yourself over years at a high level. Defenders do not play or think like forwards, nor vice versa.
[I played second ruck/follower and my best footy was a kick behind the play, reading where the ball was likely to go, stopping/intercepting attacks, delivering the ball forward again. In those terms, I was not pro-active, but reactive, responding to what I could see happening. A good forward knows how and where to time a lead, to direct and make a play. I've seen plenty, but I really don't know how to do that myself.
I didn't receive the ball much from teammates, but loved hunting for it :grimacing: :)]
2) Bassett coached Norwood to runner-up in 2010, then Premiers in 2011-12. Their opponents scored 30 (West Ad) and 32 (North Ad) --- says a lot about his defensive mindset. Keep their scores down and kick more. I like it.
Again, I didn't know he was forward Coach for PA. Must say, that surprised me.

OK, that's one good defender who's made a pretty decent forwards Coach. Ben Hart didn't. Under Hart, we went from the highest-scoring team, to the lowest. I suspected he wasn't a good appointment when it was made and he turned out to be a dud.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
I seem to remember that Davies being dropped and leaving caused a lot of trouble from then on it was a series of fu** ups.

It started a bit before that - there was a split at board level over Halbert in 84. The new guard wanted a fresh start away from the Oatey era and Keane was the man. But he immediately ran into trouble with veteran players. Davies quit after being dropped about 5 games in - rightly IMO as he was keeping Willmott out of the side who went on to kick 120 goals that same year - then Don Scott was sacked at South with Davies taking over. IIRC his record at South was quite good. Keane struggled until 1988 when his group of youngsters finally started to break through. At the same time the old guard on the board was itching to get Davies back as coach. And we know how that went. From then on it was a shitshow in a dumpster fire until Phil Carman came along.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Agree, so happy we appointed him not only replaced Burton but with someone far more qualified. Feel confident with people like Kelly at the club. Onwards and upwards in 2021

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who would have thought that appointing someone with actual qualifications and experience would be a positive??

phill5158

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who would have thought that appointing someone with actual qualifications and experience would be a positive??
Yeah I know right, they figured it out amazingly took them a while. But could undo that work by naming Olsen as chairman. And what is with Chapman saying his greatest legacy is having someone better replace him or something along those lines.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Yeah I know right, they figured it out amazingly took them a while. But could undo that work by naming Olsen as chairman. And what is with Chapman saying his greatest legacy is having someone better replace him or something along those lines.

Chapman is a moron. A self centred, egotistical moron. The statement shows that

Back