Roast Hartigan: Footy smarts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Very harsh.... Was good on Waite....

Thought Talia's disposal was more horrendous. Two of Talia's "loop' kicks were converted to Carlton goals.
If you are going to roast him for lack of footy smarts better roast Dangerfield and Sloane too.
Guy can play, gets plenty of the ball and will be a 200 gamer. He makes the same amount of errors by foot as more experienced players. But yeh, let's hang it on a 10 gamer.
this

ridiculous thread.

In the end he is very raw, but if Rutten isn't there in 2015, Hartigan looks like our only option to partner Talia.

Love the Truck but maybe it's time to let the younger 2 fend for themselves for the rest of the year without him holding their hand. There will be failures, and we can always select Truck for games where there are unusually big forward lines, but let's maybe punt with the only future we have down there.

The coaches were awful; doesn't make him any less stupid. He's played a limited number of games; then let him play a few in the SANFL where god knows he will get some practice in defence under slightly less pressure.

None of us want a mentally handicapped 12 year old with gigantism running around out there so why should we put up with him? Hell the 12 year old with excessive growth hormone and an inability to string a sentence together might just need more time to get his experience up, or he might just actually suck and not be ready for AFL and need a few games in the SANFL.

... I feel much better now I have a whipping boy of my own. Bump the thread if/when he has a purple patch of 3 decent disposal in a row at any time in his career.

Need Truck's smarts and Hartigan's body. I noted some of Truck's positioning today - was spot on, as if he knew exactly where the ball was going. Hartigan also did a few good things, but telegraph's his next move too much - needs to go with his first instinct, than wait, and find his first option closed down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a future, but has been ordinary for the last fortnight.

Needs to go back to the SANFL and find form.

My preference would be;

Hartigan out for Luke Thompson.

Pods out for Otten.
Luke Thompson would be worth a run, he's been around the club for bloody long enough.

While we're discussing the possibilities of Luke Thompson as a 3rd tall defender, such is our desperation, I wonder whether there should be one last roll of the dice for McKernan as a CHB.

Plenty of failed young forwards have matured into decent backmen.

Has the perfect physique, athleticism and speed (for a tall), is actually a decently skilled player in general play, booming long kick.

Was a defender at junior level. Tried briefly at AFL level but prob well before his own body/maturity could handle it.

What he has never been able to do is consistently contribute as a forward and 'stay in the game' and keep up his confidence levels. It's all been mental, not talent. Having said that, his mental deficiencies haven't been softness…can actually attack the contest hard when his mindset is right.

Playing defence would simplify his role, give him a focus. I could actually see him taking a few saving marks back there. On top of that, he would become an obvious target for a contested mark from kick outs…way better than Jacobs in this area.

As much as people think he should be delisted, JPod and Rutten are on their last legs. If Jenkins or Jacobs goes down, who comes in? Next year if Talia or Hartigan go down, who comes in? McKernan should stay on the list in case of emergency. Beyond that, if we give him a role to play at CHB he may actually do something with his career!

So for mine, let Osborn and Graham do the SANFL ruck/forward duties. We know McKernan is a natural ruck who could step in at any moment without much practice. Then, for the next 6 weeks plonk him at CHB and see what he can do.

Has a future, but has been ordinary for the last fortnight.

Needs to go back to the SANFL and find form.

My preference would be;

Hartigan out for Luke Thompson.

Pods out for Otten.

certainly agree with pods out for otten. can't see why hartigan should go though. he was equal 8/9/10 on total disposals with wright and Sloane. I'm not sure what more we should be expecting from a 194cm 11 game defender. I've taken the liberty of cherry picking some stats from the afl website.

1%'s - 8, which was double the 5 next best players who had 4 each
contested marks - took 1 out of our total of 6 for the day
clangers - 3 from 18 possessions - pods 5/12, jaensch (elite by foot) 4/19, sloanes dirty day 4/18
disposal efficiency - reckon this always favours the backmen and no exception here - rutten 100%, smith, brown, Jacobs, hartigan 77.8%. but he's in the top 5, which is at least a pass mark for a backman and especially a tall bloke in his 11th or so game.

he needs to stay in the team, the errors that he has made aren't going to be eradicated playing under less pressure against lesser players.

did I mention that he's a good size as well.

The coaches were awful; doesn't make him any less stupid. He's played a limited number of games; then let him play a few in the SANFL where god knows he will get some practice in defence under slightly less pressure.

None of us want a mentally handicapped 12 year old with gigantism running around out there so why should we put up with him? Hell the 12 year old with excessive growth hormone and an inability to string a sentence together might just need more time to get his experience up, or he might just actually suck and not be ready for AFL and need a few games in the SANFL.

... I feel much better now I have a whipping boy of my own. Bump the thread if/when he has a purple patch of 3 decent disposal in a row at any time in his career.
Crap thread generally but this is the poorest post on it by a long way.

I don't care how many games he has played he needs a ******* rest. PLEASE. The guy fills me with absolutely no confidence right now.

He can be a long term player for us but right now he needs a few weeks off IMO.
Sorry but on one hand you want him to be a long term player, But on the other hand you want him playing at a level below?

I have a different opinion, We are not even close to winning a flag this year, So we need to play Hartigan every game this year to see how he develops.

I understand that you may think he could develop in the SANFL, But I just don't buy that.

While we're discussing the possibilities of Luke Thompson as a 3rd tall defender, such is our desperation, I wonder whether there should be one last roll of the dice for McKernan as a CHB.

Plenty of failed young forwards have matured into decent backmen.

Has the perfect physique, athleticism and speed (for a tall), is actually a decently skilled player in general play, booming long kick.

Was a defender at junior level. Tried briefly at AFL level but prob well before his own body/maturity could handle it.

What he has never been able to do is consistently contribute as a forward and 'stay in the game' and keep up his confidence levels. It's all been mental, not talent. Having said that, his mental deficiencies haven't been softness…can actually attack the contest hard when his mindset is right.

Playing defence would simplify his role, give him a focus. I could actually see him taking a few saving marks back there. On top of that, he would become an obvious target for a contested mark from kick outs…way better than Jacobs in this area.

As much as people think he should be delisted, JPod and Rutten are on their last legs. If Jenkins or Jacobs goes down, who comes in? Next year if Talia or Hartigan go down, who comes in? McKernan should stay on the list in case of emergency. Beyond that, if we give him a role to play at CHB he may actually do something with his career!

So for mine, let Osborn and Graham do the SANFL ruck/forward duties. We know McKernan is a natural ruck who could step in at any moment without much practice. Then, for the next 6 weeks plonk him at CHB and see what he can do.
This is a valid question which begs the obvious question of the role of the Ravens, enough for me to start a thread!

Luke Thompson would be worth a run, he's been around the club for bloody long enough.

I didn't think he looked too bad in the games I've seen him play. I've heard his SANFL form has been decent. Maybe time for a run. Honestly it's been so long since I've seen him play, I can't remember what he looks like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back