Roast Hartigan: Footy smarts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but on one hand you want him to be a long term player, But on the other hand you want him playing at a level below?

I have a different opinion, We are not even close to winning a flag this year, So we need to play Hartigan every game this year to see how he develops.

I understand that you may think he could develop in the SANFL, But I just don't buy that.
I'm not saying play him in the SANFL for the rest of the season. I do think however, he needs a rest from senior footy for a couple of weeks to find some form.

I'm not saying play him in the SANFL for the rest of the season. I do think however, he needs a rest from senior footy for a couple of weeks to find some form.
I see what you are getting at, But he is at the right age and had enough pre seasons to keep playing it out in the AFL, Also I know he has made some mistakes but he has shown he can play through it rather than drop his head, With the likely retirement of Truck at the end of this year, It has to be in the best interest for the club to keep getting AFL games in to him.

He needs to be persisted with and fans need to suck it up. If he was playing in the SANFL you'd all be jumping up and down.

He just needs some confidence, you can see it when he gets the ball; he looks like he doesn't want it, then doesn't want to * it up so he looks for an easy option. He needs to get some confidence and back himself in. That will come. He's only played 10 games!

I would be gutted if we dropped Hartigan for L Thompson. Hartigan may have a future. L Thompson is nowhere near resembling anything remotely like an AFL footballer.

He needs to be persisted with and fans need to suck it up. If he was playing in the SANFL you'd all be jumping up and down.

He just needs some confidence, you can see it when he gets the ball; he looks like he doesn't want it, then doesn't want to **** it up so he looks for an easy option. He needs to get some confidence and back himself in. That will come. He's only played 10 games!

Couldn't agree with this anymore. When this kid has 50 games under his belt there will be toast threads by the same folk roasting him now

Hartigan was pretty poor in his first 20 games or so and only people who like to re write history would disagree. Constant brain fades and average 1 on 1. Had the odd okay game.

Having a good year so far. Has gotten far more reliable in the air and by foot. If he can keep this up and still improve, it takes the pressure off throwing lever to the wolves and the heavy load on Talia. Good timing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROAST: Not picking him round 1.

You couldn't be more right in retrospect.

We got killed by their talls in that game who kicked a heap of goals on us because we were one tall short - and that was Hartigan.

As some of his supporters and defenders said last year - just give him time.

If he can constantly produce his Freo game, he's going to be a very handy player indeed for us.

Some players just need time to adjust to the pace of AFL, I never really atributed Hartigan's mistakes to a lack of skill but rather errors of judgement mostly. The sort of errors that should/must lessen with experience. Thankfully his has and right now he is an important part of our defensive unit and like some suspect we would've won against the Kangaroos if he'd played instead of VB. I'm particularly impressed with his pace considering his size, if I'm not mistaken he was able to overtake a Fremantle player on the weekend in a chase for a ground ball, twice. As for the game against the Bulldogs last year, well s**t happens even to the best of us, what matters is how often we let it happen.

Hartigan takes the game on with his kicking more than most key defenders. Early on it had supporters calling for his head when the risky kick to open up play didn't come off. Recently though, he's probably found a more realistic balance between playing it safe and finding the player in the best position upfield. Kinda expected that he'd make more mistakes by foot in the swirly conditions against Freo, but like we all saw he played particularly well.

We've been blessed with some really high quality KPD's to have pulled the hoops on in the past but Hartigan is unique with his physical attributes. Especially since our premiership years. Now he's more comfortable I'd like to see him start making his man accountable a bit more. He has the capacity to be an offensive KPD like Rance or Bock back in the day so hopefully he gains the confidence to begin the transformation. Been a strong candidate to MIP at the Crows so far this year.

Hartigan was pretty poor in his first 20 games or so and only people who like to re write history would disagree. Constant brain fades and average 1 on 1.

Brain fades? Hmm maybe, I think it was much more a confidence thing and adjusting to the speed of AFL level football.

But average 1v1? That's something I can't agree on. Always showed he was a very capable 1v1 contest player, which is why I always maintained the faith and remained patient with his development.

Brain fades? Hmm maybe, I think it was much more a confidence thing and adjusting to the speed of AFL level football.

But average 1v1? That's something I can't agree on. Always showed he was a very capable 1v1 contest player, which is why I always maintained the faith and remained patient with his development.

He got lost in the contest quite often.

IMO it wasn't a confidence problem but a decision making one. Took too many risky options in the corridor when his skills aren't that great. Similar to Talia, he needs to take the safe option more often.

I judged him more as an experienced player when really I should have been looking more as a new player.

He definitely was pretty average 1 vs 1. He used to lose his feet quite easily which was really frustrating as he is a big boy. He's gotta a lot better this season in this regard and he's reading the play alot better. He used to panic when 1 vs 1 and lose his man/the flight of the ball... again really improved. I've been quite surprised by him this season tbh, IMO he's been more impressive than Lever this year.

Not sure I'm completely sold but I'll give credit where it's due. Hartigan actually looked like our best defender on the weekend. He was one of the few players capable of reading the ball in the air in those conditions.

He definitely was pretty average 1 vs 1. He used to lose his feet quite easily which was really frustrating as he is a big boy. He's gotta a lot better this season in this regard and he's reading the play alot better. He used to panic when 1 vs 1 and lose his man/the flight of the ball... again really improved. I've been quite surprised by him this season tbh, IMO he's been more impressive than Lever this year.

Imagine what Lever could do with Hartigan's rig though. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back