Hartung, Stewart and Willsmore(to be rookied, due to contract) all delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a bit sorry for Hartung

Of course, I don’t know the ins and outs of our game plan, but it seemed to me that on a number of occasions he would break free of traffic on a wing, sprint 10-15 meters, look up, and have no-one to actually kick the ball to, as was Clarko’s want of having extra numbers back

So in keeping with possession style footy, he would stop, back pedal, stuff around waiting for an option, and either get caught, or turn the ball over

Brad Hill, for example, always had someone to kick to when running forward of centre

Sometimes game styles/plans can alter a players natural strengths, and Billy’s strength is line breaking and fast movement into a forward line
No, Brad Hill had awareness. He didn't put his head down and run and then look up and work out what to do. His head was up the whole time assessing options.

Still going to erroneously claim you have zero personal connection to the guy? You’re more transparent than a window convention.
Wait you dislike someone more than me????

On the surface you would think a gut running player with reasonable skills would fit brilliantly in to Clarkson's possession game plan.

He obviously showed something as a kid to go so high in the draft. Perhaps he just needs a simplified role.

I'm surprised he went to North to be honest. What with the "shinboner spirit" stuff. Hartung is about as far from a shinboner as you can get.
In 2014 he was looking really promising up until the dislocated elbow tackling Glass. After that he seemed to shy away from tackling and turned into a pirouette everytime someone approached. It's like he couldn't see over a corralling player and would just back-track into space until he was caught or released a dinky handball to someone in trouble.

Hartung being delisted is strange definitely not on my list of first to go...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we would have kept him if he agreed to terms, but I believe he was trying to hold the club over a barrel and the club felt the need to make a very clear statement.

All my speculation, of course.

I think we would have kept him if he agreed to terms, but I believe he was trying to hold the club over a barrel and the club felt the need to make a very clear statement.

All my speculation, of course.
Speculation, yes, but quite plausible. I do think he was to be part of a trade but didn't want to move interstate. Again speculation. Either way, he is gone and we will move forward without him, not feeling any undue pain because of it.

On the surface you would think a gut running player with reasonable skills would fit brilliantly in to Clarkson's possession game plan.

He obviously showed something as a kid to go so high in the draft. Perhaps he just needs a simplified role.

Needs a massive injection of confidence. As you can see from other posts, his decision making was his biggest downside, and watching him play, I reckon this had a lot do with constantly second guessing himself. He'd constantly finish a run with what looked like the pause button on, frozen in indecision , not being sure which option to choose. Sounds like he played on instinct much more often before being drafted, and perhaps our super structured game plan didn't help matters. If you can get him back to playing on instinct and going with the first option instead of getting frozen when it is time to deliver inside 50 you'll probably have a decent player. Seemed to improve a bit each year, and had some quite good games at the end of this season. Judging by the inside gossip in this thread , sounds like we'd have kept him if it wasn't for the fact that he essentially put a price on his head that we thought was too high.

Nice step forward for North as a club too, Hartung has shown more than Jed Anderson, and you gave us the first rounder we used to get Ryan Burton for him. Seems you guys have finally wised up in this regard, to the detriment of our list building.

I'm surprised he went to North to be honest. What with the "shinboner spirit" stuff. Hartung is about as far from a shinboner as you can get.
In 2014 he was looking really promising up until the dislocated elbow tackling Glass. After that he seemed to shy away from tackling and turned into a pirouette everytime someone approached. It's like he couldn't see over a corralling player and would just back-track into space until he was caught or released a dinky handball to someone in trouble.

I wouldn't read too much into shinboner spirit. This is a team that harboured Lindsay Thomas for many years...

ThomasDive.jpg

Hartung has been doing private MMA grappling workouts since his delisting.
This should fix his one remaining flaw in his game.
I don't know why we didn't do this.

BTW - he got a two year deal.

In years gone by, north would have offered 2 first rounders and a packet of crisps for Hartung in the trade week, so I’m very impressed they were able to hold their nerve to the final round of the draft. They’d be doing cartwheels behind the scenes.

As they were when getting Jed, cutting Petrie so they could keep Majak from walking, and when they travelled to NZ thinking they had the whole Dusty thing stitched up... oh and extending Brad Scott's contract...

1_17NMCa13MW1380.jpg

Out we come, out we come, out we come to play... sh_t, wait a minute...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartung has been doing private MMA grappling workouts since his delisting.
This should fix his one remaining flaw in his game.
I don't know why we didn't do this.

BTW - he got a two year deal.
His one remaining flaw? That’s pretty funny.

Anyway, the thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back