Rumour Harwood wants out

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I can't complain too much because at least it's tagged as a rumour although it feels like it should spiritually be in the exodus thread.

I did hear the only reason that harwood hasn't got a game
Was because leppa thought he had attitude problems

I did hear the only reason that harwood hasn't got a game
Was because leppa thought he had attitude problems

I heard something similar to this. He didn't take being dropped to the ressies at all. Not sure he will ever a regular first team player with that kind of attitude.

I heard something similar to this. He didn't take being dropped to the ressies at all. Not sure he will ever a regular first team player with that kind of attitude.

Whaaaaaa??? I hope he didn't like being dropped to the ressies and uses it in a positive way. Harwood doesn't strike me as a big-headed player so hopefully it's just a throwaway line to a mate when he was dirty at getting dropped :thumbsu:

How is that possible if he was playing reserves with no senior match fee bonus??? That'd make him on 300k+ which is highly unlikely :confused:

He gets a fair few tips for his Beatles renditions down at the pub karaoke nights.

How is that possible if he was playing reserves with no senior match fee bonus??? That'd make him on 300k+ which is highly unlikely :confused:

Woops my wording was bad, meant he made 60k one month he was telling me cause Ryan was shouting them all drinks and stuff. And yeah with insentives and stuff I think he makes 300k+ for playing most of the games in a season

I think Harwood is a little like Bewick, he is just caught between positions and therefore just can't cement a spot. With Gardiner and Cutler in the wings, and the club still wanting a rebounding defender he would find it hard to keep a spot down back, and he is nowhere near our midfield group. I think he offers a bit, he showed that last year but that exact role doesnt exist under Leppa. He could add some value to the right team.

From memory from the coaches club function and the way we grouped our list we had an extra small defender than what we wanted, and the last name was harwood.

Interesting that we'd have an extra small defender but in the last 2 matches we've had Gardiner manning up on Garlett and Lindsay Thomas at times.

Long time ago, my uncle played for Geelong reserves, he and the family were so proud he came through the ranks from a very small Mallee team and got that far.......he accepted that he wasn't quite good enough for the seniors, and happily played for as long as they wanted him.

...can't help feel these young ones of today expect to get to the top level, and pretty much straight away.....imo for the money they are getting (60,000+) they should be quite happy to be where they are, doing what they love.......and then apply themselves to get that bit higher, maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should be ahead of Golby by a mile for selection, but obviously has some discipline issues he needs to sort out, but if he plays the rest of the season you might find there is an attitude change as well.

With bottom sides when players don't see themselves playing finals anytime soon you'll find a lot of rumours about various players wanting out.

He
He should be ahead of Golby by a mile for selection, but obviously has some discipline issues he needs to sort out, but if he plays the rest of the season you might find there is an attitude change as well.

With bottom sides when players don't see themselves playing finals anytime soon you'll find a lot of rumours about various players wanting out.
He has clearly has adjusted his 'attitude' to be back in the first team which is always a positive sign

Personally I think he is best suited to Adcock's role. He can play other roles with Adcock but maybe Leppa only wants one of them in the side. When they were in the side together last year I thought Harwood looked the better player. Adcock had a couple of good games but overally he was very average and Harwood looked very much on the up. It was this potential which I am disappointed has not been captured and injected into the team by the player and the coaching staff.

Personally I think he is best suited to Adcock's role. He can play other roles with Adcock but maybe Leppa only wants one of them in the side. When they were in the side together last year I thought Harwood looked the better player. Adcock had a couple of good games but overally he was very average and Harwood looked very much on the up. It was this potential which I am disappointed has not been captured and injected into the team by the player and the coaching staff.
Agree on the Adcock situation, personally think Leppa needs to sit down with him and ask him does he really want to go on. He won't be captain next year and he is already not in our best 12 players, which means an automatic start each week and he won't be part of our next finals tilt.

The criticism of Adcock's season last year only really stands up for the first half of the year. In the second half of the season, he was very good and lead from the front in terms of our improved form. Even when he was coughing it up with the long kicks in the first half of the year he was one of the few with go-forward about him. Jed's ability to get forward from half back to support in the corridor with running and be a post player for the one-two is underrated. He then works very hard to get back into defence if there is a turnover.

Harwood was very good in the second half of the season as well and it felt like his precision short kicks gave us a lot of drive through the corridor because he would pick a man in space out down the middle instead of us getting bogged down along the wings. The way the system has changed this year hasn't really led to Rhino picking up the disposal numbers he did last year because he never seemed like a long kick to me. I did notice him kicking the ball longer then he has before on the weekend against Carlton, which shows that he is prepared to work on his game still - and lo and behold he was rewarded with selection.

The criticism of Adcock's season last year only really stands up for the first half of the year. In the second half of the season, he was very good and lead from the front in terms of our improved form. Even when he was coughing it up with the long kicks in the first half of the year he was one of the few with go-forward about him. Jed's ability to get forward from half back to support in the corridor with running and be a post player for the one-two is underrated. He then works very hard to get back into defence if there is a turnover.

Harwood was very good in the second half of the season as well and it felt like his precision short kicks gave us a lot of drive through the corridor because he would pick a man in space out down the middle instead of us getting bogged down along the wings. The way the system has changed this year hasn't really led to Rhino picking up the disposal numbers he did last year because he never seemed like a long kick to me. I did notice him kicking the ball longer then he has before on the weekend against Carlton, which shows that he is prepared to work on his game still - and lo and behold he was rewarded with selection.

Only caught the final quarter live on Saturday so watched a bit of the replay earlier. Harwood was very solid in the first quarter; a bit fumbly after playing at NEAFL level for a few weeks. But overall, I think he took a step forward against the Blues (as many of our players did) :thumbsu:

I don't think he is going anywhere, if he just wants game time like any player then he will get it if it is warranted.

On Adcock I think most would agree he started the season slowly. But he certainly has lifted and has played very well in games after the port game I'd say. IMO he will/should be playing in lions colours until at least 2016.

So instead of working hard and earning his place back in the side he wants out? IF what you said is true, that's pretty pathetic and I'd be happy for him to leave. Not going to find it easier at any club if that's his attitude.

Adcock has been a heap better this year although there have been a few games where he has been ordinary. Harwood is not playing to the same standard as Adcock has this year.

Last year for the most part he was just hideous rather than hideously underrated. He was a turn over machine with his constant long kicks and was too often out of position defensively.

FWIW Jed does seem to be getting more durable the older he gets. Earlier in his career you would have backed Harwood to have played at lease half the games purely on the basis of Jed getting injured.

I normally greatly appreciate your very insightful comments and in particular your draftee assessments.

However, in relation to Adcock and Harwood I have to respectfully disagree.

V Carlton, from my vantage point Adcock gave away the first 2 goals, one from a completely ridiculous 50m penalty. His repeated clangers [I can recall at least 2 stupid kicks in recent games across field at half back which went directly to opponents] seem to result either from an inability to get the bones moving, or just poor judgement- he just seems very creaky and unable to bend down, especially early in a game. And while he was never pacy, he certainly hasn't gained any speed. My judgment re his "durability", FWIW, is that his body shows every sign of being badly banged up.

Re Harwood- my memory might be totally faulty, but I think this might have been his first senior game this year. Feel free to correct me, but if I am right the I suggest you might be being a bit harsh. I thought he had a very sound second half season 2013, which I put down in large part to a low clanger rate. I've never had Harwood in the "constant long kick" category- quite the opposite, to me he normally favours a low risk shot kick.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Third game for Harwood this year Tassie...but I agree with your assessment of both Jed and Ryan.

For a captain, giving away that 50 resulting in Carlton's first goal, despite repeated calls by the ump to let go, was just terrible and you really would expect better from your captain who you would think would be leading by example.

I'll put my hand up as one of the ones who was underrating Adcock's impact, even up to the Saints game (which I think was when I flipped on him a bit and paid more attention). He's extremely important for us at the moment.

I agree that Harwood plays a somewhat similar role to Adcock (less long kicking though) and that perhaps that has hurt him a bit this year, but at his age and experience level he should easily be able to retool himself (given he already retooled himself into being a small defender). There's space for a guy like Harwood in our best 22 in a variety of roles, he just has to work hard at adding extra strings to his bow from 2013.

And, not to be too mean, but where else would he get more games? HBFs and BPs are something every team basically has locked down, we'd be one of the less stable groups in that department. He'd be a slight upgrade for a few Victorian teams but it's hard to tell. If I was him, head down, bum up and he'll keep getting selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back