Has an AFL decision/policy ever cost your club a potential flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want to get techincal, they cost us eight flags by not letting us merge with Fitzory... ie the flags they'd already won. Would it have meant we won more following that too? No guarantees but I don't think it would've hurt.

The Father-Son rule and Priority Picks rules have 'cost' many clubs potential flags. Exactly who the clubs that missed out are is hard to say, but Geelong and Hawthorn probably lose post-millenium premiership or two each if those never happened.

Beams salary had to be included in the cap according to news reports; I think Beams denied it on SEN but what would he know?
Hey mate, seems that the payments to Beams were not included in the cap.

Makes a mockery of the system, different rules for certain clubs.

Hey mate, seems that the payments to Beams were not included in the cap.
That's stuck behind a paywall so I can't read it, would be good to know what's going on there and why the AFL didn't clarify that earlier. Sounds like there was part of the payments outside of the cap and some in it, not surprising really but that's really average.

Kind of like how Collingwood were able to "negotiate" the penalty for Stepho's multi-bet.

That's stuck behind a paywall so I can't read it, would be good to know what's going on there and why the AFL didn't clarify that earlier. Sounds like there was part of the payments outside of the cap and some in it, not surprising really but that's really average.

Kind of like how Collingwood were able to "negotiate" the penalty for Stepho's multi-bet.
Plenty of material available already for the sequel to Michael Warner’s book “The Boys’ Club”.

Seems like there is something rotten about this league.

If you want to get techincal, they cost us eight flags by not letting us merge with Fitzory... ie the flags they'd already won. Would it have meant we won more following that too? No guarantees but I don't think it would've hurt.

The Father-Son rule and Priority Picks rules have 'cost' many clubs potential flags. Exactly who the clubs that missed out are is hard to say, but Geelong and Hawthorn probably lose post-millenium premiership or two each if those never happened.

changing the father-son rule to 100 games + bidding cost us a chance to get josh kelly and luke mcdonald in the same draft, along with whoever we wanted in the first round, didn't it? probably could've won a flag from 2015-17 with that boost. Personally, I think now that there's such a complex bidding and payment system for father-sons they should move the cap back down to 50, but it was a good decision to get rid of that complete free hit.

changing the father-son rule to 100 games + bidding cost us a chance to get josh kelly and luke mcdonald in the same draft, along with whoever we wanted in the first round, didn't it? probably could've won a flag from 2015-17 with that boost. Personally, I think now that there's such a complex bidding and payment system for father-sons they should move the cap back down to 50, but it was a good decision to get rid of that complete free hit.

Maybe, but I mean more that if you take out Scarlett/GAJ/Hawkins as free hits for Geelong or Roughead for Hawthorn, probably some other teams win premierships over that period of time.

But 1993 was a bad year for you. Hence your club has never won back-to-back flags, a major stain on your credibility. Malthouse should have won more flags with the players and rules he had back then. But he was the WA media and public's darling cos he was, you know, alpha-male and Victorian.

1993 was a bizarre 20 round season.

We were in 2nd spot after 18 games and 6th after 20. We lost to Essendon (1st) by 2 points, Carlton (2nd) by 1 point and North (3rd) by 6 points. Win just one of those games and we finish top 3. Such an open season.

Seen a great stat that shows the disadvantage well.
Joel Selwood has played 323 games and has played 101 games at his home ground.
Scott Pendlebury has played 329 games and has played 209 games at his home ground
2 can play that game.

Joel Selwood has played 93/323 games at the MCG.
Shannon Hurn has played 27/294 games.
David Mundy has played 33/345 games.
Todd Goldstein has played 22/264 games.

Jacob Weitering has played 36/106 games at the MCG
Darcy Parish has played 31 games at the MCG
Sam Menegola has played 28/97 games at the MCG. By the end of the year he'll likely pass David Mundy.
Toby Mclean has played 10/92 Games at the MCG.

No one would try to argue that Essendon or Carlton aren't an MCG tennants. Geelong aren't that far behind.

They also practically avoid playing at docklands as well. Darcy Moore (13 games) and Jayden Short (13 games) have played significantly more games there than Menegola (5 games) or Tom Stewart (8 games).

2 can play that game.

Sam Menegola has played 28/97 games at the MCG. By the end of the year he'll likely pass David Mundy.

No one would try to argue that Essendon or Carlton aren't an MCG tennants. Geelong aren't that far behind.

They also practically avoid playing at docklands as well. Darcy Moore (13 games) and Jayden Short (13 games) have played significantly more games there than Menegola (5 games) or Tom Stewart (8 games).

What is your point?

player plays more games at away venue than other players for whom that venue is also away?

it doesn’t magically erase the fact that Selwood has played a third of his career matches on his home deck

What is your point?

player plays more games at away venue than other players for whom that venue is also away?

it doesn’t magically erase the fact that Selwood has played a third of his career matches on his home deck
That the MCG isn't a typical away ground for Geelong, Espeically compared to Interstate or Docklands tennants.

It's smaller, but closer to Essendon/Carlton's relationship with the MCG and Its significantly more their home ground than Docklands is for full MCG tennants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That the MCG isn't a typical away ground for Geelong, Espeically compared to Interstate or Docklands tennants.

It's smaller, but closer to Essendon/Carlton's relationship with the MCG and Its significantly more their home ground than Docklands is for full MCG tennants.

Yeah, again, I’m not really sure how this is at all relevant to the fact that he doesn’t often play on his actual home ground

Was about to pass it off when the free was paid.

As you would if there's a better option but he was one player who could make that kick with his eyes closed. Dees would have also faced a rested Carlton on a very hot GF day. I like that piece of footy folklore, it was an amazing game and we still talk about it.

The amount of games Geelong play at the MCG is the reason why Geelong don't play as often in Geelong.

If I was looking for a reason I would have as-

no actually I wouldn’t have asked because everyone knows why Geelong doesn’t play as often in Geelong.

this does what, exactly, to change the fact that Selwood has played only a third of his games on his own home ground?

2 can play that game.

Would that be cause Geelong have to play their finals there perhaps?

No one would try to argue that Essendon or Carlton aren't an MCG tennants.

They're both split MCG/Docklands tennants? It's pretty clear that you picked them out as comparisons for that reason? Try comparing vs Melbourne, Richmond etc instead...

IMO the Cats much-lauded home ground advantage is over inflated by the fact they essentially only play teams who are a) travelling interstate and so at a greater-than-usual away disadvantage or b) from Victoria and were s**t the previous year therefore probably an easy win.

But pointing out that a team who splits some of their home games between the MCG and elsewhere plays roughly as many at the MCG as other teams who do the same thing is not exactly a killer argument.

As you would if there's a better option but he was one player who could make that kick with his eyes closed. Dees would have also faced a rested Carlton on a very hot GF day. I like that piece of footy folklore, it was an amazing game and we still talk about it.

Yeah its a solid myth - Carlton won 6 more games than Melbourne that year and beat the Dees by 7 goals in our only H&A meeting.

My OP is only half-serious. I was a 10 years old at the game in the pocket right where it happened - in the public seating right on the border of the members. Still have PTSD all these years later.

1993 was a bizarre 20 round season.

We were in 2nd spot after 18 games and 6th after 20. We lost to Essendon (1st) by 2 points, Carlton (2nd) by 1 point and North (3rd) by 6 points. Win just one of those games and we finish top 3. Such an open season.

Fair point, but the great teams win back-to-back - Carlton 1981-82, Essendon 1984-85, Hawthorn 1988-89. You won't read this opinion in The West Australian though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back