Opinion Has anyone else fallen out of love with the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel a lot of fans are losing some of the passion in the recent years is partly due to more player movement/trading during the offseason. It's all becoming more of a business from the AFL/club/player perspective. The AFL franchise is expanding, but possibly at the expense of losing the club roots footy culture fans once adored.

Nah, I don't think so. I enjoy my NFL fandom these days far more than AFL. It's not that our sport's adopting more professional approaches to player movement.

It's that I feel like the club as I knew it for the first few decades of my life was a sham- a fraud perpetrated upon me by a class of entitled incompetent con-men who hold me in the deepest of contempt, and believe that they have a right to live the high life based upon the money that people like me pay into the club on the false pretence that this is a club that we all share in, and can enjoy success..

This is about our club.

Nah, I don't think so. I enjoy my NFL fandom these days far more than AFL. It's not that our sport's adopting more professional approaches to player movement.

It's that I feel like the club as I knew it for the first few decades of my life was a sham- a fraud perpetrated upon me by a class of entitled incompetent con-men who hold me in the deepest of contempt, and believe that they have a right to live the high life based upon the money that people like me pay into the club on the false pretence that this is a club that we all share in, and can enjoy success..

This is about our club.
This is true as one gets older, things little by little start getting exposed as a sham. Weltschmerz is the word.

For me loving the club has always been about loving the players. The reason why I loved Glenelg so much when i was a kid was because of guys like Stephen Kernahan, Scotty Salisbury, Stephen Copping, Tony Hall. This competition has turned into a meat market with no loyalty being shown by the players. It's all a cash grab. Why should I invest my $$, passion and time into a competition that expects loyalty from me but gives none in return.

If it wasn't for guys like Stiffy Johncock, Rocket Maynard, Modra and Andrew Mcleod I reckon I would no longer have any connection left with the AFC.

Although you tried not to trivialise “such things”, you well and truly did. The comparison between a fan and a footy club vs an abusive relationship is pretty damning. In fact it is fairly negligent

I'll cop that. I let my emotions get the better of me on that one.

Well hello there.

I drop back into BF from time to time, mostly out of habit and when I've scrolled far enough on Reddit, but I have completely disengaged from football.

I was slowly worn down over about 12 years. The choke against St Kilda in 05 was the first blow, then choking again at home in 06. Then having to watch the slow decline knowing the inevitable outcome but having to endure it for years and throw in a couple more chokes in the dying moments of finals against Hawthorn and Collingwood.

It started to ramp up from 2012, missing out on the GF by less than a goal after being on the receiving end of the most shithouse umpiring. Then backing that up with the Tippett BS. That was bad enough, but then having Trigg and Chapman survive it was another blow to my trust that the club and I had the same ultimate goals. Us taking the hit for Melbourne's tanking with Dean Bailey's suspension was yet another.

2015 and what should have been a great positive time with the club winning a final after the tragic death of their head coach and no, instead it's all about being accused of getting the Bulldogs' game plan from Michael Talia. Earlier in the year it was the Eddie Betts trade that was subject to a full investigation based on some comments from Trigg. It was OK to have a laugh at Cyril Rioli tanking all draft interviews to ensure he went to Hawthorn though, no investigation needed there.

2016 more of the same of the previous decade. Destroyed a useless North Melbourne and then absolutely shat the bed against Sydney. On the ropes by quarter time, game done by half time.

Then 2017, the chance to show that sticking through all the previous BS was worth it and that the days of shitting the bed in big games were behind them and the shat the biggest s**t they could. Combine the disappointment that the club had once again simply failed to turn up to a big game, being on the s**t-end of the umpiring again (even though it wasn't even necessary to do so) with being the villain in the media in the lead up to the game. It was all about the Richmond fairy tale. No mention that a club 2 years out from the murder of their coach winning the flag being a sports movie worthy story, all about the Victorian team.

At that point, my emotional connection to the club was hanging on by the thinnest of threads. Then the camp hit. Then, despite a lower ranked Vic team beating a higher ranked non-vic team at the MCG in the GF 4 years straight, the AFL extended the MCG contract when there was already nearly 2 decades to run anyway. On the same day that that BS went through, I went to Adelaide Oval to watch the game V Collingwood.

I sat in the cold and watched a team of players who couldn't give less of a * if they were wearing chastity belts. Half-arsed jogging and the bare minimum effort to see the game out. For the first time ever, I left the game early, disgusted.

On the bus on the way home I had the realisation that the club's goals and my goals were not the same. Winning a premiership was not their priority, just a nice bonus if they happened to chance one.You might be able to luck yourself into one as a Victorian team, but it doesn't cut it for those outside. With the league actively against the club, and the club not on my side anyway, I wondered why I let myself dedicate so much of my time and emotional energy to it.

So I cut it off. I didn't attend another game and cancelled my membership at the end of the season. I haven't watched it on TV, nor even kept up with scores beyond occasionally jumping on here or seeing something on FB (and then jumping on here for the LOLs).

The club permanently drove me away. I'd considered myself a pretty hard-core supporter with the time I spent discussing the club here, the energy I directed at the club every weekend, I got involved in supporter initiatives such as the Tribe. A lot of my life revolved around football, my social life was completely restricted by the fixture. If a Crows game was on I was either there or watching it on TV. I planned international holidays around returning in time for finals. They wore me down and turned me away, and I really don't think they care about that one bit.

Reading through this thread is a harsh reminder how screwed our club will be when the apricot-slice brigade die off. As much as I generally dislike the older, more conservative fans, they show up and support the club no matter what. The Crows won't get that kind of loyalty from the younger fans coming through and nor should they. They haven't earned it and they don't deserve it.

Look, we were 4th at the bye.

Then we had the worst 9 games in the history of the club (IMO). The coaches had clearly lost the players (IMO), something had gotten into their heads, and they could only deliver a half of footy, or less. Their energy was spent by the bye, so whatever was rotting below the surface must have been festering from earlier on, and bubbled to the surface and the players couldn't ignore it any longer. The result was terrible for fans to watch.

I felt for the players more than for myself. They didn't want to deliver what they delivered, but they were 'gone', there was nothing more to draw on, and they had to endure every game to the end.

The administrative response within the club has been strong and decisive. I have found it satisfying. I expect the remaining players do too. Was it exactly the right response, affecting exactly the right people? I can't judge that, but I feel that the scale of the response was about right.

I don't find myself getting attached to administrative figures within the club: chairman, board members, CEOs, or operations managers. I don't watch them closely, don't judge or cheer them. I get attached to the players and the senior coach, and sometimes assistants if I see enough of them.

I'm full of hope and anticipation for 2020. I will love the wins and hate the losses, just like always, but if Nicksy can deliver on his promise of making us proud of their losing efforts as well as exultant in their wins, then that'll do me. That's what a fan wants back for the loyalty.

To the OP, hang in there. You wrote what you did because you care a lot. Of course you are numb, a lot of us are. Some of us are coming out of it faster than others, that's all. But it will pass: the changes made will mean a new team with a new attitude for 2020, and they will win you back. Just watch.

cheers

Last edited:
Then we had the worst 9 games in the history of the club (IMO)
not even close IMO. in 1996 we were 6-2 with a huge percentage. won 2 of the final 14, one against Fitzroy who were already dead

this period that we're in at the moment seems awful, but 1996 was just as bad, if not worse

My carefactor is not anywhere near what it was. Like most I support the playing group, and I have nothing against players who want to leave, they made very reasonable decision.

In essence our club was run by dictatorship, I won't support that, or emotionally invest in it. I'm still pissed off Chapman bought himself another year, and that the review didn't seem to touch the board.

My carefactor is not anywhere near what it was. Like most I support the playing group, and I have nothing against players who want to leave, they made very reasonable decision.

In essence our club was run by dictatorship, I won't support that, or emotionally invest in it. I'm still pissed off Chapman bought himself another year, and that the review didn't seem to touch the board.
Have to agree not sure Piggy Dunstall got that one right,the Chapman comment has still got me a little sceptical

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great thread OP - a really intersting topic.

I get that the definition of 'The Club' is different for different people, but for me, the club has nothing to do with the board, the footy ops manager, or even the coaches. Those are just roles or custodians of the club at any one point in time, that come and go.

This is going to sound more poetic than I intend it to be, but the club for me is the constants - the jumper, our home ground, our fans, and even the city it represents.

From that perspective, I've never fallen out of love with the club.

Reading through this thread is a harsh reminder how screwed our club will be when the apricot-slice brigade die off. As much as I generally dislike the older, more conservative fans, they show up and support the club no matter what. The Crows won't get that kind of loyalty from the younger fans coming through and nor should they. They haven't earned it and they don't deserve it.
This apricot slice brigade business gives me the shits. It used to be a thing in the 90s, probably. Have a look around Adelaide Oval, there would hardly be any people there over 60. Most of them stopped going with the move and there are less and less of them each year, due to age, prices, and footy changing. I can't see any difference in the age profile compared with teams like Port that beat their chest about how all their fans are young (yes I attend Port games at times).
The older fans I do see are the ones that don't know anything about footy and are far more critical of the team than the younger ones (usually irrationally). They don't know the rules or the tactics.
I don't think the club has a problem with loyalty at any age level, however the problem they do have is that people are less engaged due to disappointment and performance. It happens every time we drop down the ladder, but those same people are back when we start winning. I would argue that the variation for the Crows is much less than most teams in the AFL. Another issue is that I think people are getting disillusioned with AFL in general, in particular the VFL centric decision making and media circus.
Personally I am looking forward to next year, whilst at the same time not expecting much. The last couple of months I can see the first signs of change and a new generation, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. More change is needed before I think we can challenge for a flag again, however we have started the process. I won't be so stressed about footy because expectations are lower, so if that counts as less passionate so be it, but I'll still be there.

Just throwing it out there (for anyone), I wonder how much of this “falling out of love with the club” is due to:
- the club’s recent results (2018, 2919)?
- the club’s apparent flaws?
- the club’s alleged flaws?
- the media attacks?
- being on BigFooty?
- you’re actually suffering from burnout or some form of stress?

So in other words, is the club causing you to feel disdain? Or are you feeling apathetic about life in general and putting all the blame onto the club? Or maybe both?

Thank Christ the mental health expert is here to inform us all that, despite the absolute basket case our Club has been, that isn't the reason we're disillusioned with the Club.

Thank Christ the mental health expert is here to inform us all that, despite the absolute basket case our Club has been, that isn't the reason we're disillusioned with the Club.

I did enjoy the inference that it was the bigfooty board's fault.

Well hello there.

I drop back into BF from time to time, mostly out of habit and when I've scrolled far enough on Reddit, but I have completely disengaged from football.

I was slowly worn down over about 12 years. The choke against St Kilda in 05 was the first blow, then choking again at home in 06. Then having to watch the slow decline knowing the inevitable outcome but having to endure it for years and throw in a couple more chokes in the dying moments of finals against Hawthorn and Collingwood.

It started to ramp up from 2012, missing out on the GF by less than a goal after being on the receiving end of the most shithouse umpiring. Then backing that up with the Tippett BS. That was bad enough, but then having Trigg and Chapman survive it was another blow to my trust that the club and I had the same ultimate goals. Us taking the hit for Melbourne's tanking with Dean Bailey's suspension was yet another.

2015 and what should have been a great positive time with the club winning a final after the tragic death of their head coach and no, instead it's all about being accused of getting the Bulldogs' game plan from Michael Talia. Earlier in the year it was the Eddie Betts trade that was subject to a full investigation based on some comments from Trigg. It was OK to have a laugh at Cyril Rioli tanking all draft interviews to ensure he went to Hawthorn though, no investigation needed there.

2016 more of the same of the previous decade. Destroyed a useless North Melbourne and then absolutely shat the bed against Sydney. On the ropes by quarter time, game done by half time.

Then 2017, the chance to show that sticking through all the previous BS was worth it and that the days of shitting the bed in big games were behind them and the shat the biggest s**t they could. Combine the disappointment that the club had once again simply failed to turn up to a big game, being on the s**t-end of the umpiring again (even though it wasn't even necessary to do so) with being the villain in the media in the lead up to the game. It was all about the Richmond fairy tale. No mention that a club 2 years out from the murder of their coach winning the flag being a sports movie worthy story, all about the Victorian team.

At that point, my emotional connection to the club was hanging on by the thinnest of threads. Then the camp hit. Then, despite a lower ranked Vic team beating a higher ranked non-vic team at the MCG in the GF 4 years straight, the AFL extended the MCG contract when there was already nearly 2 decades to run anyway. On the same day that that BS went through, I went to Adelaide Oval to watch the game V Collingwood.

I sat in the cold and watched a team of players who couldn't give less of a fu** if they were wearing chastity belts. Half-arsed jogging and the bare minimum effort to see the game out. For the first time ever, I left the game early, disgusted.

On the bus on the way home I had the realisation that the club's goals and my goals were not the same. Winning a premiership was not their priority, just a nice bonus if they happened to chance one.You might be able to luck yourself into one as a Victorian team, but it doesn't cut it for those outside. With the league actively against the club, and the club not on my side anyway, I wondered why I let myself dedicate so much of my time and emotional energy to it.

So I cut it off. I didn't attend another game and cancelled my membership at the end of the season. I haven't watched it on TV, nor even kept up with scores beyond occasionally jumping on here or seeing something on FB (and then jumping on here for the LOLs).

The club permanently drove me away. I'd considered myself a pretty hard-core supporter with the time I spent discussing the club here, the energy I directed at the club every weekend, I got involved in supporter initiatives such as the Tribe. A lot of my life revolved around football, my social life was completely restricted by the fixture. If a Crows game was on I was either there or watching it on TV. I planned international holidays around returning in time for finals. They wore me down and turned me away, and I really don't think they care about that one bit.

Sad to read this - you've been a strong and passionate contributor on here over the years, to be that disillusioned... :(

Sad to read this - you've been a strong and passionate contributor on here over the years, to be that disillusioned... :(

And the really damning thing- for all of the ignorant invective thrown at people on this board by plankton who feel they have the right to challenge the fandom of other posters- we're not dealing with people who never cared to begin with talking like this. We're talking about fans that have given significant amounts of their own time volunteering for club related things- we're talking about people who have been members of cheer squads.

This apricot slice brigade business gives me the shits. It used to be a thing in the 90s, probably. Have a look around Adelaide Oval, there would hardly be any people there over 60. Most of them stopped going with the move and there are less and less of them each year, due to age, prices, and footy changing. I can't see any difference in the age profile compared with teams like Port that beat their chest about how all their fans are young (yes I attend Port games at times).
The older fans I do see are the ones that don't know anything about footy and are far more critical of the team than the younger ones (usually irrationally). They don't know the rules or the tactics.
I don't think the club has a problem with loyalty at any age level, however the problem they do have is that people are less engaged due to disappointment and performance. It happens every time we drop down the ladder, but those same people are back when we start winning. I would argue that the variation for the Crows is much less than most teams in the AFL. Another issue is that I think people are getting disillusioned with AFL in general, in particular the VFL centric decision making and media circus.
Personally I am looking forward to next year, whilst at the same time not expecting much. The last couple of months I can see the first signs of change and a new generation, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. More change is needed before I think we can challenge for a flag again, however we have started the process. I won't be so stressed about footy because expectations are lower, so if that counts as less passionate so be it, but I'll still be there.

I agree with most of your post and well put. The bolded part is a worry as I may be one of those older fans your write about and I don't know how you can tell these things by looking at me or others. I have sat in the same seat at AO from day one and there are a few older people around me that have done the same. They all have good footy brains and understand the modern game. You don't necessarily lose your marbles because you age.
Your observation about our age profile is spot on. No different to Port or any interstate team I see at their home grounds.

Just curious, but to all the forlorn fans here, have you ever considered the fact you've got older and your perspective and understanding of things had changed?

All clubs have gone through the same if not worse kind of s**t we are and have, you are just more aware of it now. When you were a kid you didn't care what Bill Sanders was doing, didn't worry you Brett Chamers was trying to get to Port.

Now its a convenient excuse to the fact you've grown up, you've got other priorities and going to watch a team lose is difficult to justify.

But don't feel bad, it's normal human behaviour.

AFC will be successful again, with or without you, the sooner you realise that, the better heading to the footy will become.

Last edited:
Just curious, but to all the forlorn fans here, have you ever considered the fact you've got older and your perspective and understanding of things had changed?

All clubs have gone through the same if not worse kind of s**t we are and have, you are just more aware of it now. When you were a kid you didn't care what Bill Sanders was doing, didn't worry you Brett Chamers was trying to get to Port.

Now its a convenient excuse to the fact you've grown up, you've got other priorities and going to watch a team lose is difficult to justify.

AFC will be successful again, with or without you, the sooner you realise that, the better heading to the footy will become.

wait! Are you calling me old? How dare you! How dare you!

Yeah sure. That's it.

There's actually nothing wrong with our club, everyone who feels that there is (including a significant number of middle aged to older people) are wrong.

Also, it's totally inevitable that we'll be successes in due course. Inevitable.

Decades ago Saints fans probably believed they'd be successful again.

We've had a few cancerous imbeciles steering the ship for years. Some are gone, some aren't.

Some supporters are happy to blissfully ignore that and just cheer on the team, others feel more strongly about it.

It's worth noting that without the negative voices we'd still have Burton and Camporeale. Heck, and Trigg probably.

Decades ago Saints fans probably believed they'd be successful again.

We've had a few cancerous imbeciles steering the ship for years. Some are gone, some aren't.

Some supporters are happy to blissfully ignore that and just cheer on the team, others feel more strongly about it.

It's worth noting that without the negative voices we'd still have Burton and Camporeale. Heck, and Trigg probably.

But surely if success is simply inevitable, and you don't need to do anything to earn it, then we shouldnt have even gotten rid of any of those guys.

Just sit back and count the days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back