Opinion Has anyone else fallen out of love with the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice skills of twisting words to suit your narrative. You’re a champ at it.

I’m talking from my point of view that there is likely a multitude of reasons to feel crappy about and not just from the club’s doing. I’m not trivialising anyone’s point of view. If anything, you and a bunch of “boys club” members are trivialising my point of view. See below some very useful comments and nothing to do with personal attacks (sarcasm):

I'm not at all, I'm responding to exactly what you said. If you think that paints you in a bad light, that's because it was a bad opinion.

Basically, no matter what Roo or the club says, it can perhaps always be taken out of context. The current era of social commenting. Results will ultimately determine fans’ reactions rather than words spoken via club representatives.

Results will determine, not what they say. In a thread where countless people have said it's how the club has engaged that has caused harm.

If you now want to say something else- that's fine. You should. What you first said was poor, but for gods sake stop whinging. Responding to the very substance of the views that you offer is not a 'personal attack'.

I never had much issue with Roo's comment.

Even though it was possible to make a negative spin from it, he saw that possibility quickly and within hours apologised that it could be interpreted that way, which he (I say obviously) never intended.

I have been quite surprised to see a number of people here blow it out of proportion, take it to heart, and cling to their pain months later, when basically within hours, it was done and dusted.

cheers

Don't recall the exact timing, but my feeling was that Roo's about face only occurred once it became apparent that Crows fans were downgrading or cancelling their membership in droves. While some commented that they’d take a “wait and see” approach, I'll bet there were plenty who took that moment to walk away and may not even have been aware or interested in any apology.

I can’t say I find the outrage surprising - as others have already noted, there have been plenty of separate incidents for quite a few years leading up to this. I think many fans have begrudgingly tolerated, forgiven or even forgotten these events with the anticipation that things will improve, and in the complete absence of that occurring this was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

Roo gets a lot of leeway from supporters due to his status as a long-time fan favourite, which makes the negative backlash seem even worse. I suspect for many the message to go and support another club has either brought back a lot of bad memories of all the other stuffups, or at the very least has made fans have a considered think about how the club values and respects us as supporters.

Right now we’re about to use our highest draft pick in ages. I know that my overall level of interest just isn’t there compared to previous years, and this wasn’t how I expected to feel after last year’s live trading and that’s even accounting for the AFL giving GC a priority pick and being dudded again.

By all reports he retracted within hours and on the same day. Not, as you suggest, after membership cancellations started rolling in at Crows HQ.

If you retract something and apologise, that means you don't stand by it... at all.
"I respect and love the Adelaide Football Club supporters, always have and always will.

"Absolutely they're entitled to their opinion, I was probably referring to a very small amount of the supporters who are never happy no matter what happens.

"I 100 per cent take back that comment, I didn't quite get that right."

I must be too kind and forgiving.... :$

Here is his full statement without the retracted half a sentence at the end:

“Whether it’s the coach, the assistant coaches, the footy manager, the list manager, the high performance manager, the CEO, the chairman — every person you know is trying 100 per cent. Now it doesn’t always work out, but the club is bigger than any individual,” Ricciuto told Triple M on Sunday night.

“People throwing accusations around about looking after each other is just ridiculous. It just won’t happen and it will not happen at the Adelaide Football Club — and I don’t think it happens at every AFL football club.

“Whatever decision has to be made from the top to the bottom will be made for the betterment of the football club. The supporters should back the people in."

The basics of his message, that the core people at the club are all passionate about the club, and busting their guts to bring success to the club, is just common sense. As is his statement that it's the same at other clubs. His rejection of fans' claims, that it is any other way inside the club, is also perfectly fair, and let's face it, the fans making the claims are not as well placed as Mark to make that assessment.

And, if I may speak more broadly, and about some of the more sweeping comments being made, around the traps, about the club. Believing that an organisation is rotten from head to toe, and everyone associated with results has to go, and anything less represents further corruption... that's almost the perfect definition of the behaviour of a conspiracy theorist. It's easy to spot.

cheers

By all reports he retracted within hours and on the same day. Not, as you suggest, after membership cancellations started rolling in at Crows HQ.

Looking at the fixture and re-reading some of the news articles, I can see that the last round Bulldogs loss occurred on August 25, and Roo’s offending remarks were made after the game which finished around 3-4pm. I know Fagan made a remark soon after, and Roo tweeted an apology at 11pm. Would love to know how many calls and emails the club received in that 7 hour window. A formal apology came the next morning, confirmed by both the Tiser and Sky.

To be fair, the next morning was probably the earliest Roo could have organised a press conference to make a formal apology. However, one can’t underestimate the speed at which messages on social media spread. I can recall pages of posts on both here and on Twitter expressing outrage, as well as on the Crows Facebook page which is generally really supportive no matter what goes on.

If you retract something and apologise, that means you don't stand by it... at all.

While this is generally true, when you've said something to upset a lot of people most tend to stop listening, with the comments on the above twitter links also reflecting this. As others have already noted, if he didn't mean it, then why say it at all? He remarked later that he was referring to the 1% - a group of supporters that are never satisfied, and it might very well have been the case that there is a group of hardcore supporters unhappy with how the club is being run and dealing with this continuous harassment has worn him down. However, even if this was the case and no matter how bad it was, one would still expect a certain level of professionalism and composure to still be maintained, especially when dealing with the media and regardless of any kind of heat being applied by fans. While I think both Roo and Fagan still have credits in the bank, one could also argue that Roo isn't really cut out for the role either.

And, if I may speak more broadly, and about some of the more sweeping comments being made, around the traps, about the club. Believing that an organisation is rotten from head to toe, and everyone associated with results has to go, and anything less represents further corruption... that's almost the perfect definition of the behaviour of a conspiracy theorist. It's easy to spot.

Rather harsh to equate criticism of a football club with more widely recognised conspiracy theories like the earth being flat or lizard people ruling the world that clearly have no basis in reality. I don’t think anyone is completely oblivious to the fact that there have been plenty of problems with the club and even the most critical club supporters have been able to recognise that there have been some positives. With that in mind, attempting to dismiss concerns as conspiratorial isn’t an argument that holds much weight.

Last edited:

The basics of his message, that the core people at the club are all passionate about the club, and busting their guts to bring success to the club, is just common sense. As is his statement that it's the same at other clubs. His rejection of fans' claims, that it is any other way inside the club, is also perfectly fair, and let's face it, the fans making the claims are not as well placed as Mark to make that assessment.

cheers
Did you see the immediate backlash on Twitter, Facebook and on AdelaideNow straight after, many accepting his invitation to stop supporting the club. This forced Roo to issue an apology at 10.30pm.

Roo said what he believed, the problem is the backlash was so extreme he had to retract. Can you imagine if he continued on with it? Fagan even said he contacted Roo that night.

I can’t believe anyone can possibly discount his comments.

Remember Burton was his mate, he brought him in, he ignored for 2 years the damage Burton had done. He wasn’t going to make changes without being dragged kicking and screaming. Chapman only a few days earlier lauded Burton.

Roos foot in mouth was the best thing he has done at the club in a long time. He’s personally responsible through Burton for our blown chances.

He has to go.

Last edited:
He didn't retract the thoughts he has and the opinion he holds. In fact you can't.

He used the word retract in regards to the words he blurted out. He accidentally said an internally held, usually guarded opinion out loud.

He revealed how he thinks. No apologies afterwards can change it.

He didn't retract the thoughts he has and the opinion he holds. In fact you can't.

He used the word retract in regards to the words he blurted out. He accidentally said an internally held, usually guarded opinion out loud.

All he actually did was seperate the 99% from the 1%. The 1% he still reckons can go support someone else, he never retracted at all.

cheers

Nobody doubted their sincerity just their efficacy

Might as well say Burton and Campo tried really hard too. Wait that’s exactly what they did only a few weeks before the review

That’s the scale of the disregard, as long as we try then they have no right to expect more

In a performance industry effort is a given, not the final answer

Roo’s response revealed again, what they really think

And you can’t apologise for what you really think

Exactly

And he only apologised after the backlash because without the backlash what does he have to apologise for?

"Pathetic" and "Agitators" being other notable examples of that opinion rearing its ugly head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure what the final straw was, but somewhere along the way I just stopped caring and I don't really understand why.

I survived Tippettgate, Trigg, Neil Craig, the Wayne Carey trade, missing out on Pav, Angwin/Bode instead of Shaun Burgoyne, Dangerfield leaving, Phil Walsh, the 05/06 disappointments etc and nothing changed.

I thought I would always feel the same about the club, but somewhere between the 2017 Grand Final and now something's changed and the only emotion I now seem to feel towards the club is apathy.

Brad Crouch could announce tomorrow that he's leaving and I just don't think I would care, if we didn't win a game in 2020? Who cares, Matthew Nicks appointed coach? Whoopee-do, no senior assistant next year? Yep another who cares from me.

I actually feel awful that I feel like this, but I am beginning to suspect that the club has finally broken me.

Am I alone in feeling like this or are there others who feel the same?
No I agree with you wholeheartedly. I’ve found myself hoping to get beaten in the hope that it may flick the switch towards wholesale changes . The changes though still see a totally ineffective Chairman , CEO and throw in List Manager . I didn’t fall for the reason behind not appointing a senior assistant. Truth being no one of value wanted it , nor the Football Managers job . Not sure what the Head of Culture is all about ? If the millions we spend on coaches and management can’t provide the right culture then we’re employing the wrong ppl. Question . What does Nigel Smart do ?

I survived Tippettgate, Trigg, Neil Craig, the Wayne Carey trade, missing out on Pav, Angwin/Bode instead of Shaun Burgoyne, Dangerfield leaving, Phil Walsh, the 05/06 disappointments etc and nothing changed.
There are so many things in one season alone that make us 'fall out of love with the club' and I get down too. I decided not to renew my membership this year as a protest to the club hierarchy (And I wrote to them with that very reason). I'll probably rejoin the year after but they dont know that.

The BIGGEST factor that I cant control that arcs me up is the media (most of it fake news/ spot fire lighting) associated with our recent downfall. Prictorian media to be precise; they just s**t me to tears. Write about some other club in a disparaging way, Im over it!

The game itself is another factor - its a joke the way the flogs at the top change the rules and regs so much...I mean the Bunker FFS...Just lolworthy

Having said all that, I cant wait til we show the other clubs how well we can bounce.

This is exactly what pisses me off relapse

I thought exactly the same thing.

I'm sick of the AFL trying to reinvent the wheel for no reason.

How about we focus on actually getting the review technology right first before we start limiting how many reviews can happen during a game.

Last edited:
Although I'll always be a Crows fan I'm certainly not as diehard as I used to be. Just read everyone else's posts. Not planning to watch many games next year. Don't really care anymore, this club has literally killed itself and you can blame all this underachieving and bad trading, etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back