Has anyone NOT watched the Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

2007 - On a bucks weekend in Byron with a bunch of Irish lads who had no interest in it. The pub only had one TV in another area so had to sneak away when I could to watch. Obviously didn't miss much. Think I only went back in once in the second half just to make sure no miracle comeback was taken place. It wasn't.

2008 - Working at the races in Sydney and saw nothing. Only seen highlights over the years.

2009 and 2010 - Worked at both grand finals and the replay. Get to watch about 50 to 75% of the match but obviously the bar get pretty busy just before half time and till about half way through the third quarter. Due to the closeness of the games (not the replay) the bar was dead empty for the whole last quarters so got to watch those.

2016 - In England. Game starts about 5am or 6am. Set my alarm for the last quarter. Couldn't get a stream to run. Listened on AFL App.
2017 - In England. Set my alarm for the last quarter. Richmond were miles ahead. Went back to sleep.

The 2017 Grand Final equals the following movies from these genres:

Comedy - Jack & Jill (2011)
Western - Heaven's Gate (1980)
Super Hero - Batman & Robin (1997)
Science Fiction - Battlefield Earth (2000)
War - Inchon (1982)
Horror - The Swarm (1978)
Drama - Mommie Dearest (1981)
Musical - At Long Last Love (1975)
Children's Movie - The Cat in the Hat (2004)
Christmas - Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas (2014)

Haven't watched it yet, though I did watch the highlights. It was a 5:30am start here in Europe and there was no pub willing to stay open that late to show the game. Couldn't be arsed watching it in bed by myself.

Yeah righto that’s exactly what the players were thinking. Or maybe they saw Stevic umpiring again and knew they were stuffed.

Adelaide players spending the game watching an umpire umpiring would explain a lot.

Always watched the Gf every year until halftime of the 2017 one... went outside and had beers with some neighbours instead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched all of 15mins in the first quarter, went to work and didn't pay attention to the rest. Seemed an incredibly boring game. Unfortunately for Tiges fans the rest of us will have forgotten about this within a few years; hopefully we have a better finals series in '18
We’ll make sure you all remember it, even if it’s involuntarily :p

If we lost a prelim idk what I’d do. In 2013/14/15 after EF losses I didn’t intently watch the SFs we could’ve played. But I did have them on I guess and I tend to have a week off in SF week anyway. It’s weird. I’m pumped for the other 3 weeks but semis are just eh.

Other than that I’d watch the GF any way possible. Start to finish it’s one of my favourite days of the year. Probably because it’s a time of year I’ve never seen us lose in.

I watched it on grand final day and it was ok. I was thinking it's not as good as the Geelong/Hawthorn/Collingwood grand finals though. The opposition basically gave it to them for free. Exactly like Fremantle/Sydney/West Coast.

There was a Grand Final?

Wouldn’t have known, Richmond supporters have barely said a word since.
I know. Right. It's weird isn't it? It's almost like we don't even need to mention it because there is still so many raw arsed opposition supporters randomly bringing it up during every conversation. Almost like they're jealous or envious.

You have to watch it, like some solar eclipses itll only happen once every 30-40 years.
Seems that you're into astronomy, did you happen to catch the Corio Comet? Prior to 2007, it's latest orbit was 44 years. That's a loooooong time.

Had we lost to GWS in the prelim I genuinely wouldn't have watched the GF this year.
I've watched this years GF many times however:cool:
I was tempted but in the end to watch the best two teams play off was too much of a temptation. I dont dislike either so that helped.
In 2016 I focussed on the umpires because I didn't really favour either, but I watched.

Watching them is an event and possibly games without your team involved are better days overall where you can relax, drink and be pretty objective.

When your own team plays if they lose your life sux if they win that's great but you spend the whole time going nuts until the end. Then even more nuts if you continue on.

One of those things that is on the calendar and the older you get the more loyal to the day you seem to be (my case at least)

Not watching out of spite is a poor choice. You can usually get behind an underdog or a player with a story or just plain have a few bets on first goal kickers etc. The day is really what you make of it yourself rather than putting all your hopes in the spectacle.

There will be another Meatloaf to cringe at and a close game ahead, best to watch them all for that golden moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back