Has Anyone Seen This Happen In Local Senior Footy?

I've been following the game for a long time and I must say I never have.

In a womens' senior final in Sydney on the weekend, one of the sides was late out after half-time. All the usual sirens had been blown, the umpires waited more, one umpire ran over to the rooms and blew his whistle. Still no sign of them, so the umpires ended up starting the third quarter with only one side of the ground.

That of course got them out on the field, but not before they had conceded an uncontested goal. And to rub salt into the wounds, they lost by 3 points.

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Unless the league in question has local by-laws allowing this, you can't really start without the 2 teams:

11.2 COMMENCEMENT OF PLAY

11.2.1 Readiness to Commence Play

(a) All Interchange Players must leave the Playing Surface two minutes prior to the scheduled
starting time of a Match, being the time when the Timekeepers sound the siren twice.

(b) Before commencing play in each quarter, the field umpire shall:

(i) ensure that the Timekeepers are ready to commence timing the Match; and

(ii) confirm with each captain that each Team is ready to commence play.

Having said that, the rules also say the following:

10.7 FORFEITURE OF MATCH

10.7.1 Forfeiture

For the purposes of this Law, a Team forfeits a Match if:

(a) it is unable or it fails, refuses or neglects to commence or recommence play:

(i) at the scheduled starting time; or

(ii) within such other time period determined or specified by the Controlling Body, a field
Umpire or these Laws

The spirit of rule 10.7 applies more to starting after adverse weather etc. - not just teams taking too long to get back on the ground.

Unless the league in question has local by-laws allowing this, you can't really start without the 2 teams:

11.2 COMMENCEMENT OF PLAY

(a) All Interchange Players must leave the Playing Surface two minutes prior to the scheduled
starting time of a Match, being the time when the Timekeepers sound the siren twice.

Having said that, the rules also say the following:

10.7 FORFEITURE OF MATCH

10.7.1 Forfeiture

For the purposes of this Law, a Team forfeits a Match if:

(a) it is unable or it fails, refuses or neglects to commence or recommence play:

(i) at the scheduled starting time; or

(ii) within such other time period determined or specified by the Controlling Body, a field
Umpire or these Laws

The spirit of rule 10.7 applies more to starting after adverse weather etc. - not just teams taking too long to get back on the ground.
I thought the same (had a look at the laws myself), but then found out that it is a ruling from the local administrative body which had been made clear to all participating clubs.

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
In finals especially there is a lot of pressure to maintain a tight timetable with usually numerous games which is possibly why the league in question made a local ruling that this would be the process. Can only blame the club if they've all been told.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I have seen it before but not in senior football. Was an under 16's game. Other team was still in the sheds. We got the goal. We did happen to win by about 100 so it didn't really matter.

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
Had it happen in a country Reserve grade match, Coach was a bit excited as we were looking like getting our first win halfway through the season and he kept talking at 3/4 time. Umpires got fed up and bounced the ball, luckily for us we were on their half forward line and the oppos weren't too smart so the ball came straight into us and we rebounded quickly.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Isn't there a folklore story about a team refusing to come out?

The team that remained on the field ran down for a goal and kicked either a point or out on the full, but there was no-one to kick in so the game was abandoned?

Even if it didn't happen, it's a funny story. A whole game could be played with only one team on the field so long as the ball never goes out on the full or goes through for a point. Not many other sports have a 50:50 contest after a goal (usually you forfeit possession upon scoring in other codes)

In finals especially there is a lot of pressure to maintain a tight timetable with usually numerous games which is possibly why the league in question made a local ruling that this would be the process. Can only blame the club if they've all been told.
You've pretty much nailed it I think, particularly that in bold.

It's not like the sirens were an issue either, the game was at Blacktown International Sports Park #1, the sirens are very loud.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Had it happen in a country Reserve grade match, Coach was a bit excited as we were looking like getting our first win halfway through the season and he kept talking at 3/4 time. Umpires got fed up and bounced the ball, luckily for us we were on their half forward line and the oppos weren't too smart so the ball came straight into us and we rebounded quickly.

How did they start the game with officials/fans still on the ground?

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Closest I've seen was in 2005/2006, hawks v Essendon.
Hawks were out and ready, bombers werent. They came out of the rooms a d barely made their starting positions

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Isn't there a folklore story about a team refusing to come out?

The team that remained on the field ran down for a goal and kicked either a point or out on the full, but there was no-one to kick in so the game was abandoned?

Even if it didn't happen, it's a funny story. A whole game could be played with only one team on the field so long as the ball never goes out on the full or goes through for a point. Not many other sports have a 50:50 contest after a goal (usually you forfeit possession upon scoring in other codes)
Why would it matter if it went out on the full or point. If the other team took to long its play on.

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
As said before, the context of that clause is relating to adverse weather, etc. Match might have stopped because of lightning and once finished, the umpires and 1 team might want to recommence but the other team mightn't - this would result in a forfeit.

Back