Society/Culture Has Australia become the New India

Footyfan61

Debutant
Dec 19, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We would need a lot less money paid to workers. Manpower is cheap there, materials expensive. Here its the other way around.
The way wages are going give it a few more years & if the greens get their way with open border

We definitely will be another India

Last edited:

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I predict possibly there will be a royal commission into this that should focus on foreign capital investment project and how they function within Australia. There should also be an investigation into the ability and credentials of the foreign workers used on these projects. Predict that there is a high likelihood that they contributed crap which led to the issues with the site. I'm incredibly certain even groups like the union would support this on this basis.

My view of modern India was collapsing buildings due to the cutting costs on projects and no interest from the workers due to low wages.

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...s/news-story/dad28af4aad5ff11cf968102635824f9

Has Australia now become the new India?
No lol

Any country without Australia's strict building code or appreciation for engineering integrity would have commissioned another contractor to smear some grout over the crack so people wouldn't worry about it.

These kind of occurrences are extremely rare in Australia, and this particular example is most likely going to be determined as repairable without needing to demolish the entire building. What's probably happened is half of the foundation has slumped faster than the other half to a degree enough to stretch the concrete. It's normal for foundations to slump, most buildings will subside by 5-10mm in the first 10 years of construction. If the steel reinforcement is okay, they'll probably inject some epoxy into the crack to seal it and keep monitoring the foundations to ensure all sides are subsiding at the same rate.

Even in the developed world, engineers and architects make mistakes. I know I do, that's why I have professional indemnity insurance.

I've heard of engineers inspecting pre-pour reinforcement via photographs because they are so busy, when would this have been built?
Or because D&C / GMP contracts are becoming more popular and tenderers are being elected based on lowest price, leading to a trimming of the engagement for professional services costs to perform proper inspections.

Footyfan61

Debutant
Dec 19, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wages are going up so yeah no.
Due to the infrastructure projects starting this driving mining wages up!

My mining wage is still lower than my wage of around GFC time thanks to Shorten and a Gillard fair work act

Wages as a whole have staled for the past 6 odd years thanks to the casualised work force

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Due to the infrastructure projects starting this driving mining wages up!

My mining wage is still lower than my wage of around GFC time thanks to Shorten and a Gillard fair work act

Wages as a whole have staled for the past 6 odd years thanks to the casualised work force

See how in the below chart the wage rate is above 0 in every year. Well that means wage rates have risen. These wage rates have also been above the inflation rate so real wage growth has also risen in every year since 2008.

If you wages have fallen then they are not indicative of the australian average which means your wage is falling relative to most australians.

48615F09-57F9-4F0D-876C-3FC6DBA05781.jpeg

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
See how in the below chart the wage rate is above 0 in every year. Well that means wage rates have risen. These wage rates have also been above the inflation rate so real wage growth has also risen in every year since 2008.

If you wages have fallen then they are not indicative of the australian average which means your wage is falling relative to most australians.

View attachment 599060

32c8d257dcbceaaab2b64d6aa71172f8

See how in the above chart the private sector wage growth is below 0 in several years? Well that means real wage rates have fallen in those years. After adjusting for inflation, Australian wages have gone up just 0.1% a year in the last decade.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Australian governments are just incompetent, not corrupt.

Indian economy seems to be going well, particularly with infrastructure spending per GDP in 2017.

upload_2018-12-27_18-4-18.png

With the fall of Central and Western Europe and America getting closer by the day India could become a major player if they invest their apples appropriately for the next 15-20 years.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
32c8d257dcbceaaab2b64d6aa71172f8

See how in the above chart the private sector wage growth is below 0 in several years? Well that means real wage rates have fallen in those years. After adjusting for inflation, Australian wages have gone up just 0.1% a year in the last decade.
Several years? Those data points are qtrs not years and if you look at the blue lines they are all positive. Which means the trend of real wages is growing even if now very slowly. Its still growth. They are not falling down let alone falling to India levels. And on top of the real wages growth wages have grown due to inflation.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Australian governments are just incompetent, not corrupt.

Indian economy seems to be going well, particularly with infrastructure spending per GDP in 2017.

View attachment 599126

With the fall of Central and Western Europe and America getting closer by the day India could become a major player if they invest their apples appropriately for the next 15-20 years.
They could but they wont. India really isnt a country but a group of many states which means they struggle to come up with centralized reforms that can enable rapid sustained acceleration in growth like China has had over a thirty year period. Plus populist democracy also gets in the way of serious reforms as well.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
dragging the lowest elements of India into a suburb of Melbourne..

not even Bollywood would be crap or rude enough to shop in that store...

not Intentional or even planting spiders.. b
showing my ignorance and yet knowing who is king... ;)

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Several years? Those data points are qtrs not years and if you look at the blue lines they are all positive. Which means the trend of real wages is growing even if now very slowly. Its still growth. They are not falling down let alone falling to India levels. And on top of the real wages growth wages have grown due to inflation.

The blue lines get lower as you go forward in time and real wage growth over the last decade is 0.1%. For someone on the average wage that's about $1.60 per week extra to spend.

If that trend continues real wages will soon be declining.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No lol

Any country without Australia's strict building code or appreciation for engineering integrity would have commissioned another contractor to smear some grout over the crack so people wouldn't worry about it.

These kind of occurrences are extremely rare in Australia, and this particular example is most likely going to be determined as repairable without needing to demolish the entire building. What's probably happened is half of the foundation has slumped faster than the other half to a degree enough to stretch the concrete. It's normal for foundations to slump, most buildings will subside by 5-10mm in the first 10 years of construction. If the steel reinforcement is okay, they'll probably inject some epoxy into the crack to seal it and keep monitoring the foundations to ensure all sides are subsiding at the same rate.

Even in the developed world, engineers and architects make mistakes. I know I do, that's why I have professional indemnity insurance.

Your guesstimate of the problem tells me your in the domestic sector.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Back