Society/Culture Has Australia developed a social sickness? Or has it always been this way?

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As we know, Australians returning from overseas are being put into quarantine in hotels for fourteen days, at the cost of the government.

This began a few days ago and now we are reading reports of unpleasant conditions in the hotels:

Lack of fresh air, poor food options, some people are allowed to receive care packages while others are not.

In fact it is being reported that many of these people cannot access ubereats or similar.

They are forced to make do with whatever crap the hotel provides.

It sounds like a complete shitshow to be honest.

And remember, these are Australian citizens who have committed no crimes.

They have done nothing wrong and are being placed under hotel-arrest for two weeks.

Many people think this is fair enough, to stop the virus, flatten the curve, fight the pandemic, we're all in this together, etc etc etc.

But I noticed in the comments section of an article in The Age that the majority of respondents had zero sympathy for the people now stuck in these conditions.

Many of them seemed to be taking delight in that fact that their fellow Australians are being treated like criminals.

See the comments for yourself:

For example:

Spoilt bunch, un-appreciative. There are people in the world who go without food during this crisis. Maybe it is good time for you to do some soul searching and see how you can contribute to the less fortunate.
-Ann

Move them to Christmas Island so they can try out those accommodations so they can then see how good they currently have it
-Dave

Human likes to complain about anything under the sun.
You’re not on a holiday, you need to be quarantine in the hotel to protect yourself and your families in case you contracted with the virus.

-Callum

A 14 day diet, sounds good to me
-Tone Def

On and on it goes.

To be fair, there are plenty of sympathetic comments in there as well. And for all we know, the vindictive comments may be coming from agitators to stir the pot.

However I do know that in real life, from my experience, there is a nasty attitude among many Australians, not merely a lack of sympathy, but a certain inherent schadenfreude.

Has it always been this way? Or are things getting worse with every passing year?

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
People might consider those people lucky, especially those who travelled despite warnings of the spread of the virus. It's a matter of perspective.

That's basically it. When I read an article about some returning international chef crying about being fed a carb overload diet I couldn't help but cringe. It really sounded so pathetic when you're aware of other people around the world. Or even those underclasses in Australia, as Herne Hill Hammer mentioned in another thread, who were being paid under the table and aren't necessarily eligible to new benefits.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
People might consider those people lucky, especially those who travelled despite warnings of the spread of the virus. It's a matter of perspective.

Setting a health standard above India is not a particularly high bar.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
If anyone from when I was growing up in the 70's had the motza to complain about being put up in a hotel free by the government they would have got pretty short shrift too.

But back in the old days "angry from Balga" had to write a letter to the paper or ring talkback to complain about how everyone else in the world is complaining about people complaining. Or just have a whinge about it to your mates.

Now its right at your fingertips. It was ever thus.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Symptom of society these days, people are so self centred they've lost any perspective on how others live or how things affects other people.

Being stuck in a hotel from for 14 days is pretty shitty, but people before them have proven they won't listen and moderate their own behaviour so it's forced upon them. Given what's going on in the world, maybe a little introspection will do people some good, that as much as being stuck in a hotel room for 14 days isn't much fun, it's also not the end of the world, it keeps their community safe, and there's a hell of a lot of people a whole lot worse off.

Too much luxury hasn't been a good thing.

Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've lived overseas for 23 years. My olds are in their 70's with the old dear in particular not in the most robust of health. I said to them on the weekend that if anything happens to them in the next little while I won't be able to come back to Australia in time and I hope that they understand. Wasn't the easiest conversation I've ever had but there must be literally millions of Aussies in a similar situation to me. M2F I think you live o/s as well, right? I feel for you mate, I really do. It's horrible for these people forced into hotels after returning from o/s but it's a giant turd sandwich and everyone has to take a bite.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
As we know, Australians returning from overseas are being put into quarantine in hotels for fourteen days, at the cost of the government.

This began a few days ago and now we are reading reports of unpleasant conditions in the hotels:

Lack of fresh air, poor food options, some people are allowed to receive care packages while others are not.

In fact it is being reported that many of these people cannot access ubereats or similar.

They have done nothing wrong and are being placed under hotel-arrest for two weeks.

Many people think this is fair enough, to stop the virus, flatten the curve, fight the pandemic, we're all in this together, etc etc etc.

But I noticed in the comments section of an article in The Age that the majority of respondents had zero sympathy for the people now stuck in these conditions.

Many of them seemed to be taking delight in that fact that their fellow Australians are being treated like criminals.

For example:

Spoilt bunch, un-appreciative. There are people in the world who go without food during this crisis. Maybe it is good time for you to do some soul searching and see how you can contribute to the less fortunate.
-Ann

Move them to Christmas Island so they can try out those accommodations so they can then see how good they currently have it
-Dave

You’re not on a holiday, you need to be quarantine in the hotel to protect yourself and your families in case you contracted with the virus.

-Callum

-Tone Def

On and on it goes.

To be fair, there are plenty of sympathetic comments in there as well. And for all we know, the vindictive comments may be coming from agitators to stir the pot.

However I do know that in real life, from my experience, there is a nasty attitude among many Australians, not merely a lack of sympathy, but a certain inherent schadenfreude.

Has it always been this way? Or are things getting worse with every passing year?
Always been this way. They quarantined returned servicemen coming home from Europe in the Spanish Flu pandemic for weeks. Eventually the soldiers jumped off the ship and rowed lifeboats to shore. Australia was founded as an authoritarian penal colony and its always been a hard thing to shake loose.

In a bid to appease the soldiers, the authorities told them they could go to the Quarantine Station at North Head, where a camp had been prepared but all the soldiers found at North Head was bush that had to be cleared, ditches to be dug and tents to be pitched.​
To make matters worse, food was scarce, water was distant and cooking and sanitation facilities were non-existent.​
The final indignity was finding the camp site was infested by poisonous snakes – the soldiers claimed they killed 60 during the first night.​

Last edited:

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Symptom of society these days, people are so self centred they've lost any perspective on how others live or how things affects other people.

Being stuck in a hotel from for 14 days is pretty shitty, but people before them have proven they won't listen and moderate their own behaviour so it's forced upon them. Given what's going on in the world, maybe a little introspection will do people some good, that as much as being stuck in a hotel room for 14 days isn't much fun, it's also not the end of the world, it keeps their community safe, and there's a hell of a lot of people a whole lot worse off.

Too much luxury hasn't been a good thing.
Being stuck in a hotel room with young kids for 14 days sounds like Hell on Earth.

I have a lot of sympathy towards young families caught up in this predicament.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

For example:

-Ann

-Dave

-Callum

-Tone Def

On and on it goes.

I'm amazed at the ease we're willing to give up our freedoms unnecessarily because of the all-encompassing threat of COVID-19. I'm not saying that we don't need to make temporary changes...I am saying we're willing to go too far without a logical reason.

Is there no means available to give returning international travelers some time outside? Surely not.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm amazed at the ease we're willing to give up our freedoms unnecessarily because of the all-encompassing threat of COVID-19. I'm not saying that we don't need to make temporary changes...I am saying we're willing to go too far without a logical reason.

Is there no means available to give returning international travelers some time outside? Surely not.
First we sent them to xmas island. then we let them do whatever they wanted and said i trust you (Around the time dutton was infected). Now we are literally locking them in tiny prisons rooms 24 hours a days for 2 weeks. And people think they are whingers. Holy f***. Its inconsistent and now horribly dehumanizing. Why cant they order food to be dropped off at the hotel? There is no contagion risk with ordering food.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
First we sent them to xmas island. then we let them do whatever they wanted and said i trust you (Around the time dutton was infected). Now we are literally locking them in tiny prisons rooms 24 hours a days for 2 weeks. And people think they are whingers. Holy f***. Its inconsistent and now horribly dehumanizing. Why cant they order food to be dropped off at the hotel? There is no contagion risk with ordering food.
The prison analogy is valid, yet even prisoners are afforded the 'luxury' of some time outside their cells.

If the powers that be can't find a means of providing the hotel 'prisoners' time outside without risking the health of others, they should be sacked on the spot for incompetence.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The prison analogy is valid, yet even prisoners are afforded the 'luxury' of some time outside their cells.

If the powers that be can't find a means of providing the hotel 'prisoners' time outside without risking the health of others, they should be sacked on the spot for incompetence.
It shouldnt be hard to give some outside time and allow them to order in. The beds may be plush but the rooms really are no bigger then prison cells and with 3 people stuck in one including kids it would be worse then prison cells.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
It shouldnt be hard to give some outside time and allow them to order in. The beds may be plush but the rooms really are no bigger then prison cells and with 3 people stuck in one including kids it would be worse then prison cells.
It's two weeks. People need to harden up given we're happier to do so much worse to asylum seekers here.

If they can't handle mandatory isolation it would be safe to assume that they would break the self-isolation rules that were in place before...which is exactly the reason they're in mandatory isolation.

It's not punishment, it's a precaution that benefits the entire community.
80% of cases are from returning travellers.
Look what happened when people waltzed off the Ruby Princess into home isolation.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
All of the elements necessary to turn us into a police state are falling into place.

I can't wait to see what rights we lose after this is over.

All of the elements necessary to turn us into a police state are falling into place.

I can't wait to see what rights we lose after this is over.

Hopefully all the rights, leaving just the lefties. :thumbsu:

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
It's two weeks. People need to harden up given we're happier to do so much worse to asylum seekers here.
asylum seekers should harden up. Dont they know how the jews were treated in concentration camps by the nazis?

Dont use whataboutism. you dont have to be the worst treated people in the world to be unjustly and poorly treated.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
asylum seekers should harden up. Dont they know how the jews were treated in concentration camps by the nazis?

Dont use whataboutism. you dont have to be the worst treated people in the world to be unjustly and poorly treated.
Lol. Keep fighting the good fight, bro. You should start a change.org petition to allow those in mandatory self-isolation to order ubereats.

Changing the world, one step at a time.

Asylum seekers have no prospect of release, ever. They're not even allowed to go to countries that want them.

Whataboutwhataboutism.

Back