Politics Has Australia's involvement in the "war on terror" been worthwhile?

Remove this Banner Ad

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Rob is a very good man.

Definitely not in the business of selling out his clients, like a few others I could mention.

He was once being groomed by the Labor Party for high office, but he told them to jam it when they sold out on law and order issues to engage in cowboy politics with the liberals.

Spends most of his time doing pro bono human rights cases these days.

Snake_Baker this was the article SB. I think a GoodWeekend article.now the editor of the GW, is an ex-NewYorker editor, whatever her name is, won NSW premier award in HSC and then went to Harvard, one of those high achieving north shore types... there were two previous editors who had been editor of The Monthly, you know i read articles in Morry's The Saturday Paper and in The GoodWeekend, and then they have added sugar on the tale, or it is completely confected BS, and think the irony, when i use irony correctly, cos most of the time folks use it as synonym for coincidence, well, no, not the correct use of the term. here i use the correct invocation of irony, open talking marks close talking marks. The editor was an editor of The New Yorker of the famed fact checking division on new yorker, yet all this serious liberal left media publish this crap, and start banging on about putin, freekin gatekeepers the lot of them. they quote NYTimes and WaPo in entirety, but it is all BS, makes you wanna vote Trump just cos the DNC and HillBilly are frauds, add ABC and SBS and Fairfax 'serious media':rolleyes: . Stary is not part of this polemic. Tho, I add a sprinkling of Phillip Adams to Stary, merely a sprinkle(eing), re: too much me-me-me in it for ego. NB. i said a mere sprinkle. And: Madison on ambition and its virtue, and the aphorism on ambition https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/why-james-madison-thought-ambition-was-a-good-thing

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/...here-anything-he-regrets-20170425-gvrrmu.html

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
terror is not even spelled correct. what is the israeli phonetic spelling?

so when the europe red domestic elements in various tiny groups set off bombs in the 70s, that was not terror. when the Irish set bombs off in England, not terror, when the American domestic leftists and unabomber, set off bombs in the 70s and 80s and 90s, not terror. When the CIA funded groups in South America to overturn governments, not terror.

the term has been defused of any definition, all it means is "them" doing something to "us", usually them, is brown people or muslims, ofcourse they use the asymmetric means at their disposal, like David Ben Gurion said, if I was a palestinian i would be a terrorist (not the reading/interpretation of all palestinians are terrorists, but, I would use means at my disposal to resist and this is what we discern as terrorism<terrorist>). atleast I think it was DBG, or atleast, another PM of the same nation.

the term "terrorist State" has never entered the lexicon, pretty obvious why, the fourth estate is another establishment enterprise, they are gatekeepers. The Yanks have killed for more every day than what occurred to them on S11. Also, like Steven Pinker asserts, we are a far less violent epoch than time that has come before, and America contribute greatly to this relative time of peace and prosperity, that is me, my words, not Pinker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature

The perpetrators of 9/11 were 15 Saudis, 3 from UAE, Egypt 1, Lebanon 1.

So why did we get dragged into attacking Iraq?

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

Because Muslims are like the Chinese....They all look alike to us.....don't ya know!

On a more serious note, it's interesting how not one of those principally Sunni States have been attacked, while all the innocent & mainly Democratic Shia one's have.

Oh well, just a case of mistaken identity is all.o_O:drunk:

What the U.S depends upon, is the ignorance of it's population, in order to get away with most of it's foreign policy shenanigans.

Anyways....You're on the right track to asking a very self-evident question that the Western MSM dare not go near....Because they know full-well that it opens one ginormous can of ugly & duplicitous worms.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond

JWH and was in DC visiting shrub, ergo, he was part of coalition of willing. pity he was never in Kabul in the 70s 80s and 90s and saw the major powers play out zbigniew brzezinski's grand chessboard thesis and harold mackinder's world island.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brezenski said that he created Al queda, while sec of state for Jimmy Carter because the soviets were much worse.

Australia has alot of soldiers now with PTSD and has spent billions chasing what is an American militia, we are at war with

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Anyone seen Parliament House recently ?
Sexy building designed with an openness where the plebs can walk up the grass and look down on the representatives
Today we have concrete bollards and goons with assault rifles
Is it protection from the once in a almost never terroist OR a body institution on the back foot because they don't represent the people

On a more serious note, it's interesting how not one of those principally Sunni States have been attacked, while all the innocent & mainly Democratic Shia one's have.
Yemen - although they don't bow down to the house of Saud so the west turns a blind eye.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Also don't forget Bahrain. The Saudi army rolled in to stop a democratic uprising against the dictatorship.

There's a large american naval Base there and the Regime supported and protected as result despite brutal attrocities and hoarding of the country's wealth. Many of the police force hired from outside the country to maintain rule.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
We stopped enriching uranium to make our own nukes in the late 1980s so unfortunately we're stuck with the americans.

This. Now it is a relationship of mutual convenience. They need us for Pine Gap (as there is no where else suitable for them to put it) we then get their protection and feeds. In some ways ANZUS has made us lazy. We no longer take the initiative in setting our own defensive goals and type of role we want Internationally or defensively and just follow blindly the US into whatever s**t they are up to.

Should've just bit the bullet and built them and/or do it now. If NK has shown one thing it's that once built they are built and there is f all anyone can do if they don't like it.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Analayse the s**t out of it all you want.
Simply comes down to supporting your ally. You take the good with the bad.

You want to feel safe walking down the dark alleyway ?...do it with the biggest bloke with the biggest phukoff guns. You dont need to agree with what he says.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Analayse the s**t out of it all you want.
Simply comes down to supporting your ally. You take the good with the bad.

You want to feel safe walking down the dark alleyway ?...do it with the biggest bloke with the biggest phukoff guns. You dont need to agree with what he says.
lol dude
prob close 2 truth
i can see why it wrong n how it can loose 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Been a disaster, look at our foreign debt.

At last count $30 billion invested on invading Iraq and Afghanistan for nothing.

Plus the ongoing costs for those injured.

And the dead, wounded (physical & mental) & the effect on their families.

Yet those that sent them, pick up a full pension, get to see their own kids & grandkids etc grow up & get to go to civil ceremonies & pray & mourn & salute the flag show their 'respect' at Remembrance Day & ANZAC day.

What a friggin bunch of absolute hypocrites.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Plus the ongoing costs for those injured.

And the dead, wounded (physical & mental) & the effect on their families.

Yet those that sent them, pick up a full pension, get to see their own kids & grandkids etc grow up & get to go to civil ceremonies & pray & mourn & salute the flag show their 'respect' at Remembrance Day & ANZAC day.

What a friggin bunch of absolute hypocrites.

Agreed, accidentally forgot to mention the troops and officers involved and those no longer with us.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
In any reporting on conflict regarding protestants and catholics you'd rarely see the MSM simply lump them together as christians. The child sex abuse scandal will always state which branch of christianity the person belongs to.

So why do I our media not delineate between sunni's and shia's and in particular the puritan salafist and wahhabist forms of sunni islam? The answer to that is all too obvious.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agreed, accidentally forgot to mention the troops and officers involved and those no longer with us.

I know a music teacher killed in a car accident returning from a protest against the Iraq war

He had a few kids was a nice bloke and a good teacher. He believed we invaded Iraq to profit.

And he was right

Has it? Has it been worth all the bullshit? Has it been worth the cost of the incursions to our civil liberties and peace of mind?

Personally, I would walk away from the ANZUS treaty in a heartbeat if I could wind the clock back to 11/11/2001.

No, it hasn't. Our involvement has made us actively less safe and as you say, given the state a reason to terrify people into giving up significant freedoms and rights. Mostly the freedom not to be surveilled at all times.

You need to go back further than 2001 though. 1945, when Roosevelt had the desert tyrant Al Saud on the destroyer and the oil for security/legitimacy deal was done.

That's when the problems started.

Seriously, how long would it take to get a program up, running and delivering?

12 months?

Australia, like Japan and South Korea and a few others, is generally considered to able to have the ability to deploy a nuke very quickly, as in weeks, if it really needed to

Back