Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

We've always had forms of 'cancel culture', and arguably far more strict than in the modern era too.
The major difference is this now appears to be driven from the bottom up rather than by those in positions of power (political & religious leaders).

People who lean right who trend to 'punch down' are uncomfortable with this shift in paradigm.
People who lean left who tend to 'punch up' will support the change.

Does that mean we can we call the war against cancel culture antidisestablishmentarianism?

Does that mean we can we call the war against cancel culture antidisestablishmentarianism?
If you want to cancel cancel culture, aren't you part of the cancel culture you want to cancel?

Ah, yes, the original Quora troll that you spent ages dissecting.
It took five seconds to find via a Google search, and then point out that you can't make your own arguments.

I’ve done more research since and decided the confederate flag is no good. There’s photos out there of black and Hispanic guys flying it (“heritage not hate”), even being harassed for it. But it’s time is probably up.

People can learn and change, man.
OMG political correctness!

What did you learn during your "research" that wasn't immediately obvious to anyone with at least half a brain? Did you learn there was a civil war?

I think it's mostly just new church pushing it, different to the old church with the buildings and religious figures. Now it's worship of celebrity and their position as figures of the church propped up by the church itself, their media industry requiring a standard.

If someone were to see it like that then it would rub them the wrong way when that same industry has protected and promoted horrible people for cash for decades now turning to be against them, almost like they are professionals at pretending to be something they aren't for money.

Go figure huh.

There are good people in entertainment but there are also some absolute power monsters. We might have to wait a little longer for them to finish burning them all out of the rotting house and not pay too much attention to their guidance until that's finished.

It took five seconds to find via a Google search, and then point out that you can't make your own arguments.

OMG political correctness!

What did you learn during your "research" that wasn't immediately obvious to anyone with at least half a brain? Did you learn there was a civil war?
What do you think about this Karen harassing a Mexican store owner over his confederate flag?

If you want to cancel cancel culture, aren't you part of the cancel culture you want to cancel?

And if cancel culture is a lefty thing then cancelling cancel culture also makes you a LWRWFW?
And because it is left wing, you must support, and be advocating for, communism.

Ya reckon? Pretty sure Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot and the boys “canceled” about 100 odd million souls.

And why do we have revolutions like the communist revolutions in those countries? Because people are being oppressed & get so pissed off they rise up & kill their oppressors & then they become the new elite & start oppressing others to keep their new power.
It’s been going on as long as humans & sometimes the oppressors have a blue label & sometimes a red label & they take turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And why do we have revolutions like the communist revolutions in those countries? Because people are being oppressed & get so pissed off they rise up & kill their oppressors & then they become the new elite & start oppressing others to keep their new power.
It’s been going on as long as humans & sometimes the oppressors have a blue label & sometimes a red label & they take turns.

Sounds like you’re defending it. Cambodia has never recovered. China and Russia are police state dictatorships. Meanwhile everyone is trying to bail out and get to western capitalist countries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the ideals of communism are far easier to sell to groups of people who know about a better life just enough to dream about it. Very cunning people then use it to motivate those people into a swell they ride into power.

I think Indonesia is quite vulnerable to this, they are swamped with rich people flying in even if they don't have access to the internet, they know what the world can be for them - there are hundreds of millions of people longing for a better life who could be sold the dream of universal health care, debt cancelling and minimum wage to motivate them to put someone in power.

I'm not drawing parallels to communism with those policies, I'm drawing parallels to people riding a swell of public support for chance to put themselves into a position of power. Indonesia banned communism fairly recently from memory anyway.

There are similar stories out of the politics of South Africa with politicians gaining support with stories of seizing and sharing out the land of the rich - not amounting to what they said it would except for the part where they are in power.

If I was going into politics in a place that's not doing too well, I'd be a communist. It's an easy sell. It's also why people who actually believe in it need people voting to see their country as deficient and bad - avoiding all possible comparisons to the outside world or previous history, because ultimately we live at the pinnacle of human existence and that's worth protecting - but that's not going to build the swell that communists can ride into power.

It's a hard sell to fix the best we've ever had, especially when you could lose it all if you change it wrong.

This is also why we see people with outspoken republican positions frequently in big hollywood movies.
Just like with athletes, the smart RWers keep their trap shut lest the unemployed twitter horde go apeshit on them. Fortunately Joe Rogan got too big to cancel!

One of the worst aspects of cancel culture/call out culture is that concepts like statute of limitations and double jeopardy don't seem to apply.

Jason Kidd and Chauncey Billups have been recently hired as NBA head coaches.

Kidd was a head coach 2013-2018 and an assistant until his appointment. Billups has been an assistant the last two years.

Kidd pleaded guilty to a DV charge in 2001 and was done for DUI in 2012. His playing career concluded in 2013. Billups was accused of sexual assault in 1997 and settled a civil case out of court in 2000. His playing career continued until 2014.

With each hire there was been predictable noise about past events. Press conferences to justify why they were hired as head coaches rather than lynched by an angry mob in a field etc. People even questioning Damian Lillard (star player at Portland who hired Billups - also 7 years old in 1997) for saying Billups would be a good head coach.

I'm not saying these guys are good or bad dudes or otherwise, but we are talking about 20+ years ago and a DUI. What motivates people to go deep diving for this stuff as a hobby? Jason Kidd has already been a head coach, twice. Billups played for 17 years after his sexual assault charge and is a highly respected assistant coach at the LA Clippers. If Billups goes on to coach 20 years and wins 5 championships are people going to interrupt his retirement speech with 'yeah but 1997'?

There is no new information in this. It's just raking over old graves.

She seems like a peanut but that doesn't alter the point that the Confederate flag is quite literally a symbol of division.
It's not much of a stretch to say that any flag that creates a collective within a larger group is divisive.

So let's go all star trek and have a global confederation, no more nationalism is allowed. That sort of thing creates all sorts of differences competition, I mean who would've thought that 'competition' is part of human nature? Go figure. Wow people have different views of things, how will we ever cope?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back