Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Suspense

AOC + 3
Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting that even Mark Hamill who is probably close to far-left, liked this tweet as well.

Cleese played a detestable character who would purposely offend the guests he despised. That was part of the comedy.

The man who was blacklisted was an art historian, not a character in a British sitcom.

Sweet Jesus

The Lord of the Dance
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Asking someone to explain a stupid statement is trolling?
A bit rich coming from you.

Last week, you told me Joe Rogan was alt-right but you were completely unable to explain that.

Was that any less stupid than the statement you're criticising?

Last edited:

Sweet Jesus

The Lord of the Dance
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s OK I chucked him out of the tread for a month. Sorry, I mean I CANCELLED HIM!!!!11!1!1!
Do you issue thread bans to folks who can't substantiate their claims?

I know a guy who claims Australia is worse than the Taliban because they armed and funded the mujahideen. But he can't say how.

deanc

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Cleese played a detestable character who would purposely offend the guests he despised. That was part of the comedy.

The man who was blacklisted was an art historian, not a character in a British sitcom.

Small point of clarification as Cleese is referring to a 1970 Monty Python skit called 'Mr Hitler', where Cleese satirically portrays Hitler with Michael Palin as Himmler - rather than anything related to his later role in Fawlty Towers.

In typical Monty Python style, the skit proposes that Hitler was not lost in a bunker and/or like Himmler committed suicide, but are now years after the war lobbying as joint candidates in a local by-election in England. MP also ludicrously suggests that in order not to be recognized, Adolf has changed his name to Mr. Hitler and in addition for the same reasons, Himmler also has changed his name to Bimmler.
The skit simply highlights how stupid and incompetent both men were/are, even with supporting staff, at running a simple campaign.

It was funny then and remains funny, despite the 'historical comedy challenged' woke crusaders attempting to selectively re-interpret related comedy and satire, using modern sensibilities, into something offensive.

Hilter Cleese.jpg

Last edited:

CM86

Anindilyakwa
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
People have been banned from their source of income, for saying "Cracker".

The 'cancel culture' brigade have missed this one somehow. WINK.

Seeds

Hall of Famer
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know
AFL Club
Geelong
I find it more satisfying to acknowledge uncomfortable truths rather than trying to rationalise them all the time.
Time for you to acknowledge that geelong has the greatest home ground disadvantage in team professional sport Bud. I know its uncomfortable. But its time.

Lethality

Most successful team in your lifetime
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Yep, martyrdom is typical of the cancel culture devotees.

He’s got a doco about it coming out.

A doco about cancel culture.
You couldn't cancel the likes of John Cleese, it's the smaller prey that get picked off.

Lethality

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It’s OK I chucked him out of the tread for a month. Sorry, I mean I CANCELLED HIM!!!!11!1!1!

Banning people to get the last word is bad enough without joking about it being cancel culture.

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Banning people to get the last word is bad enough without joking about it being cancel culture.
John O'Farrell one of the founder of Spitting Image (and good Maidenhead boy) had some thoughts on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lethality

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
John O'Farrell one of the founder of Spitting Image (and good Maidenhead boy) had some thoughts on this.

It's not a choice between the two. Another problem with that is people get cancelled for things they did in the past, before those sensibilities changed. Keeping up with modern sensibilities is not good enough, it's future sensibilities as well therefore John is probably a bigot and liable to be cancelled also.

Last edited:

Osho

By God and the mauser.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

Lethality

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Suddenly Chief is all about facts again:moustache:

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
The idea that this massive industry will fold under the weight of not being sexist or racist is ******* ridiculous.

Although they might have a point given Frankie Boyle got cancelled.

Oh hang on he has his own TV show.

Soft Downhill Skier

2008-2010 wasn't me.
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
The great Louis CK has spent 4 years out of circulation due to his masturbation scandal. He didn't wank over ZOOM as far as I know, as per Mr Toubin the CNN prime onanist, but did ask several people if he could xxxx in front if them. Earlier this month he released a comedy special called SORRY. Haven't seen it yet but will asap as he is usually marvellous.

One f’ed up by having a bat without knowing he was on.

The other subjected young, less powerful to it over and over again.

Not remotely the same.

The Passenger

Bugman & Programmer Extraordinaire
Mar 25, 2003
AFL Club
West Coast

Soft Downhill Skier

2008-2010 wasn't me.
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
This conservative revolt against CRT is far more impactful and cancelling than a bunch of racist arseholes being banned from twitter.

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
You just know this is going to be some buck-toothed Karen resting her laptop on her belly hacking away that keyboard with burger-greased fingers.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cancel culture will be over in the next few years, I can already sense that it has begun to eat its own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad