Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I am sooo *ing sick of cancel culture. It's the most *ing toxic thing. Sick of every day someone trying to dig up something old on celebs, influencers, TV, films and trying to cause outrage about it. You can't just erase history and the past. They're really clutching at straws with some of these things too.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
I am sooo f*n sick of cancel culture. It's the most f*n toxic thing. Sick of every day someone trying to dig up something old on celebs, influencers, TV, films and trying to cause outrage about it. You can't just erase history and the past. They're really clutching at straws with some of these things too.
If I ran a business I wouldn't go anywhere near Twitter.

I preferred my corporations faceless and immoral tbh.

truedemon

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am sooo f*n sick of cancel culture. It's the most f*n toxic thing. Sick of every day someone trying to dig up something old on celebs, influencers, TV, films and trying to cause outrage about it. You can't just erase history and the past. They're really clutching at straws with some of these things too.
Welcome to Marxism 101 & left wing politics!
All about power, self righteous, being offended at anything that fits your narrative and nothing is ever there fault

Jun 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Welcome to Marxism 101 & left wing politics!
All about power, self righteous, being offended at anything that fits your narrative and nothing is ever there fault
It's not left wing as much as it is authoritarianism combined with progressive politics. It might 'feel' left wing because historically the liberal left has been associated with progressim. But this is NOT a liberal ideology at all. Economically, this ideology (aka Critical Social Justice or CSJ) doesn't seem to have any particular position. At least not one I can spot.

It's worth being aware of this distinction because the people the alt right like to decry as 'lib-silly people' are not liberals. It's a shame because the liberal left and liberal right probably share more in common than either do with CSJ or the alt-right but the liberal right are being tricked into seeing the liberal left as CSJ. Most liberal left I know are looking silently in horror at what's happening to the progressive wing.

Tagging Gethelred here, who has a far better handle on this topic than I do. He can correct any mistakes I made.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not left wing as much as it is authoritarianism combined with progressive politics. It might 'feel' left wing because historically the liberal left has been associated with progressim. But this is NOT a liberal ideology at all. Economically, this ideology (aka Critical Social Justice or CSJ) doesn't seem to have any particular position. At least not one I can spot.

It's worth being aware of this distinction because the people the alt right like to decry as 'lib-silly people' are not liberals. It's a shame because the liberal left and liberal right probably share more in common than either do with CSJ or the alt-right but the liberal right are being tricked into seeing the liberal left as CSJ. Most liberal left I know are looking silently in horror at what's happening to the progressive wing.

Tagging Gethelred here, who has a far better handle on this topic than I do. He can correct any mistakes I made.
The key here is that this is censorship, so the question then becomes who is censoring what?

Progressives censoring who specifically and what specifically answers the question, really. It's fallacious to argue that this stuff is left wing - let alone communist/Marxist, which are rather specific things - when the proponents of said 'cancel culture' aren't expressing opinions on economics or organisation, which are the hallmarks of left wing thought.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Did you get upset when Telecom Australia changed their name to Telstra? Or when Centrelink changed their name to Services Australia?

Jun 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I mostly read these threads to see people outraged about the other sides outrage. It's ******* funny. The rare reasoned response is good too.
I've been enjoying the transformations in the attitudes of some people here as they've come to realise how quickly things can move from the marginally ridiculous at worst, ineffective at best
adding a warning on a movie, to the chess is racist outright lunacy!

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I've been enjoying the transformations in the attitudes of some people here as they've come to realise how quickly things can move from the marginally ridiculous at worst, ineffective at best
adding a warning on a movie, to the chess is racist outright lunacy!
I tend to think most of the obvious extreme stupidity is kept to the fringe elements of society, but gets amplified by social media. More concerning to me is seeing so many people work themselves into a fit of rage over irrelevant nonsense that wont effect them in any notable way.

How do these sorts of people cope with real problems?

I mean, yes, let's knock stupidity on the head. There's no point getting angry about it though.

Jun 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I tend to think most of the obvious extreme stupidity is kept to the fringe elements of society, but gets amplified by social media. More concerning to me is seeing so many people work themselves into a fit of rage over irrelevant nonsense that wont effect them in any notable way.

How do these sorts of people cope with real problems?

I mean, yes, let's knock stupidity on the head. There's no point getting angry about it though.
I wish it were so, but I feel it's creeping into daily life slowly but surely.
E.g.

That "White fragility" book by Robin DiAngelo looks like a toxic, dogmatic, anti-white racist mess, and it's currently a bestseller.

I realise that I'm talking about the US and that the US is not Australia, but when the US sneezes, the democratic world (esp. UK and Aus) often catches the cold as well. Time will tell though!

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Sure the media feed off Twitter but the media, or news media as it's called, works entirely off clickbait. This isnt a new age phenomenon.

How do you think they sold news papers on stands? Same way gossip magazines do. Clickbait headlines that promise drama. Eventually the current issue loses its tang so they move on.

Twitter and FB is still plenty full of protestor news and police brutality being exposed but it isnt drawing the clicks right now.

Headlines on news stands would have had only a small impact. As recently as 2007, the Herald Sun sold over 500,000 paper copies every day, the Daily Telegraph nearly 400,000, the Age and Sydney Morning Herald over 200,000 each, Newspapers didn't have to rely on sensational headlines for revenue because 2.3 million Australians habitually bought a newspaper every day.

Headlines on news stands would have had only a small impact. As recently as 2007, the Herald Sun sold over 500,000 paper copies every day, the Daily Telegraph nearly 400,000, the Age and Sydney Morning Herald over 200,000 each, Newspapers didn't have to rely on sensational headlines for revenue because 2.3 million Australians habitually bought a newspaper every day.

And that is just loyalty to brand. You dont sell on headline impact alone, not even I would try and convince you of that. But go to a website like News.com.au and find a headline that isnt either straight up clickbait or borderline so. They sensationalize as much as they can in that small space to get you to click the article for ad revenue.

These companies are not interested in keeping us informed on the news, they have bills to pay and profit margins to boost.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
And that is just loyalty to brand. You dont sell on headline impact alone, not even I would try and convince you of that. But go to a website like News.com.au and find a headline that isnt either straight up clickbait or borderline so. They sensationalize as much as they can in that small space to get you to click the article for ad revenue.

These companies are not interested in keeping us informed on the news, they have bills to pay and profit margins to boost.

You seemed to be saying relying on sensational headlines for sales isn't a recent phenomenon. For the most part, it is.

You seemed to be saying relying on sensational headlines for sales isn't a recent phenomenon. For the most part, it is.

In the age of the internet its certainly something more prevalent and obvious. But its hardly a new tactic. If a paper starting out wanted to compete it had to get attention somehow.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
In the age of the internet its certainly something more prevalent and obvious. But its hardly a new tactic. If a paper starting out wanted to compete it had to get attention somehow.

No. You are deflecting but you are just plain wrong. The current mainstream media relies on clicks for revenue by sensational headlines. It was not a factor before the internet replaced print media.

No. You are deflecting but you are just plain wrong. The current mainstream media relies on clicks for revenue by sensational headlines. It was not a factor before the internet replaced print media.

Am I forgetting growing up and seeing physical evidence of what Im saying? Are you telling me I hallucinated everything I saw up until the Internet? What?

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Am I forgetting growing up and seeing physical evidence of what Im saying? Are you telling me I hallucinated everything I saw up until the Internet? What?
I think you're both right to some extent. Sensationalised headlines were always a thing, but it's gone to a different level with the demise of journalism.

News.com.au has more shite than news.

StevoBruiser

All Australian
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Did you get upset when Telecom Australia changed their name to Telstra? Or when Centrelink changed their name to Services Australia?
I think it’s more referring to things like Mel Gibson not being able to voice a cartoon chicken because of his anti-Semitic comments from 20 years ago.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

What physical evidence of what you're saying? I am happy to engage but you are straying into territory where you are being ingenuous and being ignored.

What physical evidence of what you're saying? I am happy to engage but you are straying into territory where you are being ingenuous and being ignored.

Do you want me to go back to when I was a kid and get you photos from my memories or something?

Back