Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Especially for a so called "multicultural" society. At least that is what they have been pushing on Australians for years.
Basketball was invented by a white Canadian guy. It's now dominated by African Americans. Tune in to a Golden State Warriors game and you'll see Asian Americans in Steph and Klay jerseys. Who is culturally appropriating who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fadge

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
How you make a 'representative' WWI or WWII movie? Do you just pretend that the demographics of the defence forces in those eras were as they are now?
Yep, good point.

I guess that's a choice the movie moguls have to make.

Ensure 'diversity' to appeal to the woke minority and be eligible for Oscar nominations, but risk having a flop of a movie because it's an unrealistic representation of the subject matter.

Fadge

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a massive chance this could backfire big time on 'The Academy'.

Do people make movies to make money, or win Academy Awards?

I'd suggest the former as opposed to the latter.

All we need is one absolute standout that is generally acclaimed as the best movie of the year, but isn't even nominated for Best Picture because it doesn't fulfil the new criteria.

The film cleans up on a dozen other Awards, and whatever wins the Best Picture has clearly done a Bradbury.

Immediate devaluation of the Best Picture Award, and therefore devaluation of the Academy Awards in general.

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How you make a 'representative' WWI or WWII movie? Do you just pretend that the demographics of the defence forces in those eras were as they are now?
You make it about their younger sister. Everyone knows Enola Holmes was the brains in the family.

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The WW1 or WW2 story could just be presented from a different perspective.
The Ned Kelly story as told by Ned's niece Gypsybelle. Focussing on the very well known female copper Sergeant Michelle Kennedy. Shot by Ned and Dan.

Some of these things are true. But its just a movie. It doesnt need to worry about truth. As long as quotas are met.

Chief

Electric Boogaloo
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
The Ned Kelly story as told by Ned's niece Gypsybelle. Focussing on the very well known female copper Sergeant Michelle Kennedy. Shot by Ned and Dan.

Some of these things are true. But its just a movie. It doesnt need to worry about truth. As long as quotas are met.
You're doing this dumb thing where you're pretending that this all means "replace men in the story with women".

Why? You're not an actual idiot, I don't think.

So why are you acting like an idiot? Why do you think you deserve access to this forum to do this? What do you bring to the table here?

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You're doing this dumb thing where you're pretending that this all means "replace men in the story with women".

Why? You're not an actual idiot, I don't think.

So why are you acting like an idiot? Why do you think you deserve access to this forum to do this? What do you bring to the table here?
Shame you didnt post this in response to my post directly above...

There is of course a way studios dont have to worry about replacing male roles with female roles. Just dont bother trying to win awards.

Will make quite a mockery of them when everyone knows the 4th best movie of the year wins the awards because the 3 best movies were not eligible. But there will be plenty of back patting going on anyway.

As the ratings of the awards shows continue to tank.

Chief

Electric Boogaloo
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Shame you didnt post this in response to my post directly above...

There is of course a way studios dont have to worry about replacing male roles with female roles. Just dont bother trying to win awards.

Will make quite a mockery of them when everyone knows the 4th best movie of the year wins the awards because the 3 best movies were not eligible. But there will be plenty of back patting going on anyway.

As the ratings of the awards shows continue to tank.
When did you become interested in the integrity of Hollywood awards?

The Oscars have had years and years of Academy members doing things like voting without seeing the movies, giving the forms to their kids to fill out, advertising to influence votes... all sorts of lurks and perks.

Why is it now so important to you that the “right” movie gets the awards?

Are you upset that your favourite US Democrat boosters might miss out on something they have worked so hard for?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When did you become interested in the integrity of Hollywood awards?

The Oscars have had years and years of Academy members doing things like voting without seeing the movies, giving the forms to their kids to fill out, advertising to influence votes... all sorts of lurks and perks.

Why is it now so important to you that the “right” movie gets the awards?

Are you upset that your favourite US Democrat boosters might miss out on something they have worked so hard for?
You seem far more emotionally involved in this than I am. I guess the same could be asked of you. Why do you need Hollywood to only make movies which have at least 1 minority in a lead role?

The West Wing is one of the best shows ever made but would probably fail the new Hollywood sniff tests.

Imagine the lead female role being a secretary. For shame !!

Number37

Anyhow, have a Winfield 25.
Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney

Remember that time you goons got ya knickers in a knot because Idris Alba shouldn't play James Bond because the FICTIONAL CHARACTER James Bond can only be a white dude?

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Remember that time you goons got ya knickers in a knot because Idris Alba shouldn't play James Bond because the FICTIONAL CHARACTER James Bond can only be a white dude?
I wouldnt mind that. Jane Bond is where I think it loses the plot.

Oceans 8 your favourite of the 4 Oceans films ?

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I know! There weren't even any Asians or women in WWI or WWII!
There are plenty of Asians and women in WWII movies already. But are stoic matriarchs keeping home fires burning, compassionate nurses doting on brave soldiers and faceless nameless bullet fodder Axis soliders really what the Academy wants under the banner of inclusion?

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I know! There weren't even any Asians or women in WWI or WWII!
We're veering away from cancel culture into more general political correctness. But Saving Private Ryan, for example. How should that story have been told to meet these new diversity requirements?

Look at this horrific monument to White Male Privilege. Can't they re-edit it to include some POC and non-binary soldiers? Or maybe re-release the film with a 10-minute explainer at the start addressing the problematic lack of diversity. I'm not sure I can process it otherwise. OMG what am I seeing?

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone who seeks to erase the record - whether historical or cultural - should be regarded with suspicion.

As Goebbels said, we must "commit to the flames the evil spirit of the past". We definitely can't let people make up their own minds.

Sure, the new woke aren't strictly seeking to burn the books. They're just annotating them to make sure you know the bad bits are bad. That's the "liberal" solution?

Last edited:

Bradesmaen

Hall of Famer
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
There are plenty of Asians and women in WWII movies already. But are stoic matriarchs keeping home fires burning, compassionate nurses doting on brave soldiers and faceless nameless bullet fodder Axis soliders really what the Academy wants under the banner of inclusion?
What about the Sikhs? Or the African Americans, or the hispanics or the Italian Americans?

Top Bottom