Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bradesmaen

Hall of Famer
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you are wrong on something are you always a liar?

BTW: http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1812972,00.html

No black soldiers took part in combat on Iwo Jima. None were in the unit raising the flag. Just as Eastwood said. Maybe he could make a 3rd movie focussing on the non-combat roles of black soldiers.

My guess is no-one would see it. But it would probably win a fu** load of Academy Awards.

Bradesmaen

Hall of Famer
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
If you are wrong on something are you always a liar?

BTW: http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1812972,00.html

No black soldiers took part in combat on Iwo Jima. None were in the unit raising the flag. Just as Eastwood said. Maybe he could make a 3rd movie focussing on the non-combat roles of black soldiers.

My guess is no-one would see it. But it would probably win a fu** load of Academy Awards.
No black soldiers appeared in the landings, despite actually being involved.

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No black soldiers appeared in the landings, despite actually being involved.
Except the links says they were in the background. Which makes sense given they werent the focus of his film.

Im glad Spike Lee made the movie he thought Eastwood should have made. Oh wait. He didnt.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not sure if this sort of thing has been addressed in this thread and I can't be bothered reading through a thousand posts, but one thing that has annoyed me during the recent period of things getting taken off the air etc is when there is no context applied.

So there is a scene in season 2 of Peep Show where Jeremy and Nancy are breaking all these sexual taboos. Jeremy just wants to get laid so he's happy to do whatever he's told. His conscience gets pricked when Nancy paints him in brown-face and wants him to pretend that she is his mum. He recoils and says 'isn't this a bit wrong?' and she says 'you can't imagine a black man having sex with your mum? That's pretty racist Jeremy.' The inference throughout the scene for anyone with a brain is that Jeremy looking the way he does is clearly racist.

Streaming services began removing the scene. I don't really see why. The show itself is observing the racist element of blackface

Hoops

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Danger! Ive got Wood
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
There's a massive chance this could backfire big time on 'The Academy'.

Do people make movies to make money, or win Academy Awards?

I'd suggest the former as opposed to the latter.

All we need is one absolute standout that is generally acclaimed as the best movie of the year, but isn't even nominated for Best Picture because it doesn't fulfil the new criteria.

The film cleans up on a dozen other Awards, and whatever wins the Best Picture has clearly done a Bradbury.

Immediate devaluation of the Best Picture Award, and therefore devaluation of the Academy Awards in general.
Not sure you could devalue the Oscars more. You have to lobby to get votes FFS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chief

Electric Boogaloo
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not sure if this sort of thing has been addressed in this thread and I can't be bothered reading through a thousand posts, but one thing that has annoyed me during the recent period of things getting taken off the air etc is when there is no context applied.

So there is a scene in season 2 of Peep Show where Jeremy and Nancy are breaking all these sexual taboos. Jeremy just wants to get laid so he's happy to do whatever he's told. His conscience gets pricked when Nancy paints him in brown-face and wants him to pretend that she is his mum. He recoils and says 'isn't this a bit wrong?' and she says 'you can't imagine a black man having sex with your mum? That's pretty racist Jeremy.' The inference throughout the scene for anyone with a brain is that Jeremy looking the way he does is clearly racist.

Streaming services began removing the scene. I don't really see why. The show itself is observing the racist element of blackface
Which streaming services? Netflix? They're being overly cautious most likely. Probably will bring it back later.

It's still on the UK service if you need to watch it:

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Which streaming services? Netflix? They're being overly cautious most likely. Probably will bring it back later.

It's still on the UK service if you need to watch it:

As far as I can tell Stan hasn’t changed it yet though I recall reading that they intended to

Top Bottom