Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
You could've just said the first sentence, and left it there, but as you've confirmed my assumptions you had to be a smart ass about in typical SJ style.

It is amusing though.:)
So you've been using the word incorrectly all this time and people haven't corrected you? That's like walking around with food stuck between your teeth and no one says anything.

Basically you should thank me for educating you.

Carringbush2010

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
So you've been using the word incorrectly all this time and people haven't corrected you? That's like walking around with food stuck between your teeth and no one says anything.

Basically you should thank me for educating you.
I can only surmise you're pretending to be narcissistic or you are actually narcissistic.

Given your efforts to point out and continue with what seems your disdain for my incorrect interpretation of a word rather than stick to the thread topic (which I agree with you on by the way) and then add a layer of mayo by self praising and suggesting that I be thankful for your education of me.

So now you can continue with your condescension or you can discuss the topic at hand. How you reply will either attract an ignore or a reply.

Thank you for your time oh superior one.

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I can only surmise you're pretending to be narcissistic or you are actually narcissistic.
Wow you cracked the case.

Given your efforts to point out and continue with what seems your disdain for my incorrect interpretation of a word rather than stick to the thread topic (which I agree with you on by the way) and then add a layer of mayo by self praising and suggesting that I be thankful for your education of me.

So now you can continue with your condescension or you can discuss the topic at hand. How you reply will either attract an ignore or a reply.
Massive decision. I need more time to decide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JackFlash

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2012
Docklands
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills, Melbourne Stars
One thing is for certain, Hollywood is on the way to extinction. As renowned research biologists Motorhead and climate environmentalists the WWE have been known to point out, human evolution is a mystery, although 2020 has sped up its ultimate demise far quicker than i thought.

JackFlash

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2012
Docklands
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
How so? I can't see it happening. They are smart enough to change. Hollywood as a place where movies are made? It takes hits because of how expensive it is but the people making the films are still in that vicinity.
How? Insane ideology in Hollywood will be its downfall.

JackFlash

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2012
Docklands
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
It’s a nice place. I’ve been there a couple of times for a collective... maybe 6 weeks?
Been there several times myself, had a great time, worked there for a while. Now the joint has gone completely mad in the past 20 years. I've cancelled it!

JackFlash

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2012
Docklands
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I was there in 2010 - didn’t seem mad. Too many homeless people though. Need to sort that out with better safety nets and medical care.
One thing about being homeless in LA, you have to stay warm, stay fed, and avoid the myriad of falling anvils that you never realised just appear out of the sky when there's not a roof to protect you. And although all of those dangers are true for people who call Los Angeles home, for the world's most pretentious humans, homeless people are fair game as a source of entertainment and LA was once the entertainment capital wasn't it? 2021 could be worse than 2020 over there once Joe finds the keys to the basement door?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carringbush2010

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
One thing is for certain, Hollywood is on the way to extinction. As renowned research biologists Motorhead and climate environmentalists the WWE have been known to point out, human evolution is a mystery, although 2020 has sped up its ultimate demise far quicker than i thought.
How so? I can't see it happening. They are smart enough to change. Hollywood as a place where movies are made? It takes hits because of how expensive it is but the people making the films are still in that vicinity.
Hollywood is or is not on the way to extinction coz ideology or covid. The whole entertainment industry will or will not die off mainly because someone somewhere will find parts of entertainment offensive. Covid may exacerbate it but it won't be the main reason.

We've already seen ridiculous reasons for cancelling certain elements of entertainment, there's literally universes of examples of entertainment like rap songs that should be cancelled if some other forms have been already.

And that really is the issue, a minority or individual takes offence (not given) to something and then the ruling is no one is allowed access because of a few.

'Someone doesn't like this bit so no one can form their own view'

YippeeYiYeo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I was there in 2010 - didn’t seem mad. Too many homeless people though. Need to sort that out with better safety nets and medical care.
I was in LA in 2010. Stayed at a hostel on the Walk of Fame. Woke uo early one morning and wanted some milk so walked outside looking for a store. Was gobsmacked at the amount of homeless people walking from bin to bin looking for food scraps. Then at night the Petrol station closed and homeless people flooded in from all over to setup for the night.

10 years ago though Venice Beach didnt have tents down the boardwalk. Does now:

The sad thing is that skid row is such a short distance from Hollywood. The gap in standard of living in such close proximity is extraordinary. The celebs from Bel Air just about drivr past skid row on the way to the Staples Centre to watch the Lakers play basketball, yet they host awards and lecture the general public on morals and ethics.

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the days after 9/11, a major US radio chain called Clear Channel circulated an internal memo blacklisting certain songs deemed "lyrically questionable" in light of the attacks in NYC. It included a bunch of AC/DC songs but also, bizarrely, John Lennon's Imagine.

It seemed crazy to me at the time. But here we are 20 years later and this impulse to "protect" audiences from content deemed problematic or potentially offensive/hurtful has gone into overdrive.
I can't be bothered reading 70 odd pages to see if this has been covered but are you drawing a direct link between that blacklist of songs after 9/11 and modern day cancel culture?

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't be bothered reading 70 odd pages to see if this has been covered but are you drawing a direct link between that blacklist of songs after 9/11 and modern day cancel culture?
Insofar as an impulse exists to suppress content to "protect" audiences, and that impulse manifests in irrational ways.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily a "direct link" but the impulse is similar in both cases, although it's different people doing the suppressing.

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Insofar as an impulse exists to suppress content to "protect" audiences, and that impulse manifests in irrational ways.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily a "direct link" but the impulse is similar in both cases, although it's different people doing the suppressing.
I'd never thought of a direct link between those things before but I might be able to draw one if I thought about it.

Have you ever heard of a band called Dead Kennedys?

Or the PMRC - Parents Music Resource Centre?

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd never thought of a direct link between those things before but I might be able to draw one if I thought about it.

Have you ever heard of a band called Dead Kennedys?

Or the PMRC - Parents Music Resource Centre?
Like I said, I didn't claim a "direct link", so much as a similarly irrational impulse to "protect audiences" from the mildest offence.

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canterbury Cincinnati
Are people getting dumber?
At the end of last year I was talking to a year 12 who was going on to study Engineering at university. A bit later in the conversation it became apparent that he did not know his time tables. I know that is only a small part of intelligence but it seems that technology has replaced the need to think for oneself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad