Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It does help. In my second year they took our (old style) calculators away from us, was only simple maths we needed it for but still, knowing your tables made things a lot quicker.
It's one of those things, most engineers happen to be the kind of people who are good at maths, which means they probably do have them memorised. But I can see how in this day and age it's not really a requirement, even if it seems odd.

I think a lot of education now is about how to access and apply information, instead of having it memorised like in ye olden times of life before smart phones (about 2008).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It's one of those things, most engineers happen to be the kind of people who are good at maths, which means they probably do have them memorised. But I can see how in this day and age it's not really a requirement, even if it seems odd.

I think a lot of education now is about how to access and apply information, instead of having it memorised like in ye olden times of life before smart phones (about 2008).
I assume they still learn all the maths manually in the course, but it's more of a mental gymnastics type thing, they don't usually use them much in the field. Your point is fair though, engineering maths is not really arithmetic in the traditional sense, it's more building a mathematical model (with a shitload of approximations ha ha)

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I assume they still learn all the maths manually in the course, but it's more of a mental gymnastics type thing, they don't usually use them much in the field. Your point is fair though, engineering maths is not really arithmetic in the traditional sense, it's more building a mathematical model (with a shitload of approximations ha ha)
"We need to build a bridge that won't fall down!"

* creates model *

"The model says this should be fine"

"Add more concrete just to be safe"

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
"We need to build a bridge that won't fall down!"

* creates model *

"The model says this should be fine"

"Add more concrete just to be safe"
Or in my case "ok this is the electrical load which has a 20% design margin" "ok let's add 20% capacity to make sure and some extra redundancy and some extra capacity for good luck" and then the oversized system runs at 20% capacity forever ha ha

kranky al

Premium Platinum
Jun 30, 2009
Greenough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth www.pixelpac.com.au
It does help. In my second year they took our (old style) calculators away from us, was only simple maths we needed it for but still, knowing your tables made things a lot quicker.
*Me musing away out loud to a muted siri : “now what is 7.45x48.834”

* glances at watch “think that would be ahhh carry the 4 and yesssssss about 363.8133........ sound right to you chaps”?

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton

" People are experiencing real-life accountability and consequences for pushing baseless conspiracy theories, denying science, promoting hate and violence, and showing insensitivity to others. "

Carringbush2010

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Spud bump.

Mr. & Mrs. Potato head no longer.

I will expect now whenever I receive any correspondence addressed to me it will be 'Dear Name name' and no longer 'Dear Mr. Name name"

No biggie, don't see the necessity though.

Will it be the end for the famous Mr Ed?, what about Mr Football, is he just now labelled Football? The band Mr Mr? Miss Maudes the Bakery, Just Maudes now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspense

AOC + 3
Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spud bump.

I will expect now whenever I receive any correspondence addressed to me it will be 'Dear Name name' and no longer 'Dear Mr. Name name"

Will it be the end for the famous Mr Ed?, what about Mr Football, is he just now labelled Football? The band Mr Mr? Miss Maudes the Bakery, Just Maudes now?

It literally still says Mr. Potato Head / Mrs. Potato Head on the box - they are just consolidating the brand name from 'Mr. Potato Head' to 'Potato Head'.

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Let's be honest, Hasbro are just having a bet each way.

They are changing the brand to Potato Head. Seems sensible given under that they make Mr Potato Head, Mrs Potato Head and other products. Not sure that needed an annoucement.

They are introducing some inclusive product set where you can make your own potato family. Which I assume is just multiple potatoes and a box full of noses, ears etc. so how you want to 'gender' your spud is up to you. That kind of announcement is going to appeal to the minority it is aimed at and the woke, and outrage the angry mob.

Somehow whether by poor PR or outrage media spin people think that Mr and Mrs Potato Head have been replaced by a gender neutral potato. FMD.

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Spud bump.

How is this cancel culture?

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
They are changing the brand to Potato Head. Seems sensible given under that they make Mr Potato Head, Mrs Potato Head and other products. Not sure that needed an annoucement.
Why would a company NOT try to get some free publicity out of a product change?

That is almost the only reason that some changes are made.

Don’t over-think it.

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I liked the comments in the Hasbro Facebook post asking why they don't have one potato head and all the bits for the woman and man etc.

Mmmmm......yes let's cut sales down......

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Carringbush2010

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Somehow whether by poor PR or outrage media spin people think that Mr and Mrs Potato Head have been replaced by a gender neutral potato. FMD.
They're removing the Mr. & Mrs., apart from pr or outrage to put the product in the news I don't see the necessity.

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
They're removing the Mr. & Mrs., apart from pr or outrage to put the product in the news I don't see the necessity.
They aren't. They are removing 'Mr' from the overall branding. Mr and Mrs Potato Head toys will still be available. Would be madness to kill off two successful products.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad