Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah nah.

“Culture has evolved,” Kimberly Boyd, who works on the Potato Head brand at Hasbro, told Fast Company. “Kids want to be able to represent their own experiences. The way the brand currently exists - with the “Mr.” and “Mrs.” - is limiting when it comes to both gender identity and family structure.”​
The “sweet spot” for the Potato Head toy is about two or three years old, Boyd told Fast Company. Not just because of its silliness, but because of its capacity to serve as a blank slate where they can model their experiences. “This often takes the form of creating little potato families, because they’re learning what it means to be in a family.”​

Sure it is - they are consolidating the 'Mr. Potato Head' and 'Mrs. Potato Head' product lines into a single 'Potato Head' product line.

If this really was about some woke culture conspiracy to remove the terms “Mr.” and “Mrs.” from the lexicon, as has been suggested, they've botched it completely considering you can still buy a 'Mr. Potato Head' and 'Mrs. Potato Head'.

Fwiw, everything she said is true - there are gender-neutral people who don't use traditional titles that identify a binary gender. Acknowledging this fact doesn't preclude the vast majority of people from using those titles when referring to themselves or Hasbro from selling potato heads that also use those titles.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Hasbro is officially renaming the MR. POTATO HEAD brand to POTATO HEAD to better reflect the full line.

https://corporate.hasbro.com/en-us/articles/create_your_potato_head_family_launching_this_fall

It's a product line consolidation. It was a standard corporate press release that only became 'news' because hack journalists knew that a very sensitive segment of the internet with nothing better to do with their lives would get worked up about it and retweet/repost it (as you have done here) - giving them clicks and views.

Can you explain how I've got worked up? I'm merely stating that removing the prefix of Mr. and Mrs. is not necessary.

So they've removed the prefix to make news about the product, Hasbro may have found it necessary to remove the prefix for product marketing purposes.

Potato head must've been losing sales pretty badly if that is the sole reason for removing that prefix. Could've found other ways like a marketing campaign for Mr. & Mrs. Potato head instead. Obviously Hasbro thought differently.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
So which is Hasbro?

Are you removing the pre fix or are you not?

1614590987856.png

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
If they were just called "potato head" from the start, literally no one would have ever batted an eye lid.

Likewise, had they just quietly altered the brand name to "potato head" I doubt anyway would have noticed (but then where would all free publicity come from?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
If they were just called "potato head" from the start, literally no one would have ever batted an eye lid.

Likewise, had they just quietly altered the brand name to "potato head" I doubt anyway would have noticed (but then where would all free publicity come from?).

I didn't even know there was an overarching Mr Potato Head/Potato Head brand encompassing the Mr and Mrs Potato Head products.

Now that I do and that it is changing I am very concerned for the fabric of society as we know it.

I didn't even know there was an overarching Mr Potato Head/Potato Head brand encompassing the Mr and Mrs Potato Head products.

Now that I do and that it is changing I am very concerned for the fabric of society as we know it.
It’s pretty huge.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a bit strange. Amanda Gorman picked a translator for her poems to be published in Dutch. She picked the translator. But the translator isn't black so people got upset. Why does her translator need to be black? It wasn't a concern for Gorman.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Seriously?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back