Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

bourbons

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Whenever the religious right has tried to cancel things; rocknroll, space invaders, Ned Flanders etc people pushed against it and grew it bigger than ever because they knew that cancelling was ridiculous.

Except now when the left cancels something there is no bigger power pushing back against the hate because they are on the same side or are afraid of that side.
Say for a minute this fever dream was accurate - wouldn't it just be indicative of changing majority societal attitudes?

Schneebly11

Senior List
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Say for a minute this fever dream was accurate - wouldn't it just be indicative of changing majority societal attitudes?
Yes. Once upon a time it was acceptable to not count Indigenous Australians human as beings. That women couldn't vote. The mere suggestion of being gay meant you got bashed. Non whites were banned from migrating here. Drink driving was just fine. All of those things once upon a time were acceptable.

Then society changed. Those things weren't "canceled" because of "PC leftists" at the time having a sook.

Those who whinge about it are essentially dinosaurs who wish they could call black people "n*gg*r" or "a*e" to their face. Like Adam Goodes, it's all the same right wing commentators pushing the same talking points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Is Michael Foucault being cancelled now and his books burnt now he has been accussed of being a paedophile?

No doubt we will get the word from Woke Central HQ soon.

FireKrakouer

Brb, smoking parmesan.
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Everyone has their own definition, to me "cancel culture" is actions such as finding controversial comments from a person from 10+ years ago and having them get fired over it. There's 2 problems with this:
1: that person would have been younger and probably dumber back then, and may well have changed their ways.
2: the comments made over a decade ago may have been considered acceptable and normal by society back then, but no longer are.

Then there's people who are simply out of touch, sheltered, maybe uneducated etc. For example, I believe the 12 year old girl who called Adam Goodes an ape was not fully aware of the historical context of such slurs.

So I think we're prioritising the punishment of people who made mistakes, rather than punishing those who intentionally spread hate.

Verdun

Premium Gold
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Everyone has their own definition, to me "cancel culture" is actions such as finding controversial comments from a person from 10+ years ago and having them get fired over it. There's 2 problems with this:
1: that person would have been younger and probably dumber back then, and may well have changed their ways.
2: the comments made over a decade ago may have been considered acceptable and normal by society back then, but no longer are.

Then there's people who are simply out of touch, sheltered, maybe uneducated etc. For example, I believe the 12 year old girl who called Adam Goodes an ape was not fully aware of the historical context of such slurs.

So I think we're prioritising the punishment of people who made mistakes, rather than punishing those who intentionally spread hate.
Is this spreading hate?:

Schneebly11

Senior List
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
It was very wrong. He claims it was a brain fade, listening to the recording it sounds like he recognised his own stupidity quickly.
There's a cut in the audio at about :45 seconds. There was probably a commercial break or a song, in which a producer entered the studio and told Eddie he'd better apologise quick smart.

A brain fade means you revert to how you really talk and think in private and mistakenly say it in public. These people love to make "ape" jokes in private, and unfortunately he slipped up and did it on air, probably thinking Luke Darcy was "one of boys" and it would be OK. Someone who doesn't have those underlying thoughts or doesn't make those comments in private doesn't have to worry about accidentally becoming a racist in public because of a "brain fade"

FireKrakouer

Brb, smoking parmesan.
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a cut in the audio at about :45 seconds. There was probably a commercial break or a song, in which a producer entered the studio and told Eddie he'd better apologise quick smart.

A brain fade means you revert to how you really talk and think in private and mistakenly say it in public. These people love to make "ape" jokes in private, and unfortunately he slipped up and did it on air, probably thinking Luke Darcy was "one of boys" and it would be OK. Someone who doesn't have those underlying thoughts or doesn't make those comments in private doesn't have to worry about accidentally becoming a racist in public because of a "brain fade"
You're really playing the psychic here assuming you know the thoughts of all involved. I said the comment was very wrong, my personal opinion is that he should not have been cancelled over it due to the amount of hours he does per day that are broadcasted nationally, along with the fact that he immediately corrected himself and apologised. And he thankfully did not get cancelled, at least not until a few years later.

Verdun

Premium Gold
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
You're really playing the psychic here assuming you know the thoughts of all involved. I said the comment was very wrong, my personal opinion is that he should not have been cancelled over it due to the amount of hours he does per day that are broadcasted nationally, along with the fact that he immediately corrected himself and apologised. And he thankfully did not get cancelled, at least not until a few years later.
Fair call, maybe not 'cancelled' but it deserved to be called out for what it was.

Schneebly11

Senior List
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks heavens...

Should be judged by today's standards?

This whole blow up over Hey Hey apparently being a victim of "cancel culture" in 2021 makes me wonder if anyone realises why it was canned all the way back in 1999 in the first place?

HHIS was a originally a Saturday morning kids show from the 70s which migrated to the evening in the 80s. It's slapstick silly humour originally designed for children obviously carried over well in the 80s and early 90s. But by the late 90s things had changed. Australians were preferring a more mature brand of comedy at that time, and HHIS's ratings were starting to tank. I remember shows like The Panel and Rove which appeared around that time were said to be what Australians were preferring, rather than lowbrow humour delivered by an ostrich puppet and a guy in a duck suit on a Saturday night. Eventually it got to a point where it was too expensive to produce and not rating high enough so it was canned. It was definitely outdated in 2009 during it's brief return when they thought it was OK to perform in blackface in front of an American Southerner. The ratings tanked hard after that stunt.

So Hey Hey was ended by the free market, not by "PC cancel culture".

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Should be judged by today's standards?

This whole blow up over Hey Hey apparently being a victim of "cancel culture" in 2021 makes me wonder if anyone realises why it was canned all the way back in 1999 in the first place?

HHIS was a originally a Saturday morning kids show from the 70s which migrated to the evening in the 80s. It's slapstick silly humour originally designed for children obviously carried over well in the 80s and early 90s. But by the late 90s things had changed. Australians were preferring a more mature brand of comedy at that time, and HHIS's ratings were starting to tank. I remember shows like The Panel and Rove which appeared around that time were said to be what Australians were preferring, rather than lowbrow humour delivered by an ostrich puppet and a guy in a duck suit on a Saturday night. Eventually it got to a point where it was too expensive to produce and not rating high enough so it was canned. It was definitely outdated in 2009 during it's brief return when they thought it was OK to perform in blackface in front of an American Southerner. The ratings tanked hard after that stunt.

So Hey Hey was ended by the free market, not by "PC cancel culture".
Agreed, it's not about cancel culture, per se. But do we need a public apology for this stuff? That impulse is related to cancel culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schneebly11

Senior List
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed, it's not about cancel culture, per se. But do we need a public apology for this stuff? That impulse is related to cancel culture.
Maybe they genuinely feel regret about smearing Kamahl with white powder and portraying him in a cooking pot with a bone through his nose. Stuff which I thought was pretty racist in the late 80s but obviously which these immature bogans found funny then.

ShanDog

Super Moderator
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Right Wing Politcial Correctness for the most part is just an evolution of religious Puritanism, you could say it can be traced back to the Salem witch hunts, combined with a good dose of nationalism.
And now the left has caught up with their religious equivalent of progressive ideology.

The only difference I see between the cancel lovers on each side of the political spectrum is that the right tend to stick together more while the left love to eat their own. Until the reasonable progressives really disassociate themselves from the criticism of the far-left nutters, they are always going to be battling a war on two fronts.

ShanDog

Super Moderator
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Is Michael Foucault being cancelled now and his books burnt now he has been accussed of being a paedophile?

Probably not. It would be like communists trying to cancel Marx.

iBeng

Intentionally left blank
Apr 3, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Does a US state trying to stop people voting - because they are sooky over how the presidential and senate runoff elections went - count as cancel culture?
When the same people demand voter ID but baulk at gun IDs you know they are canceling both the right to vote AND the right to not get shot when you go shopping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad