Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chief

Overlord
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, it's hard to ascertain what is considered normal (or abnormal) nowadays...
That's another question.

If you've got a higher attachment to something, but it doesn't dominate, it's probably not abnormal is it? Just within a "normal" range.

But if you're on the receiving end, the amount of attention paid to that aspect would end up being abnormal. If you speak up, then every guy saying "but I only said I like Asian girls" gets defensive.

If the dating app technology is not allowing for that, it could become an app that many Asian girls don't want to use. That seems to be what they are saying. I could be wrong, I dunno. Maybe the app developers need to think about what they are trying to achieve or how they want it to be used.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems he’s no crusader for free speech. $100 mil is a lot of steroids:

The podcaster announced the partnership last year, acknowledging that the contract was contingent on the disappearance of a few choice interviews.

“There were a few episodes they didn’t want on their platform, and I was like ‘OK, I don’t care,’ ” Rogan said at the time, according to DMN.
I don't think he's ever advertised himself as a crusader of free speech though, has he? Or is that what a few of his nuffie fans label him as, thus you latch onto it?

Chief

Overlord
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think he's ever advertised himself as a crusader of free speech though, has he? Or is that what a few of his nuffie fans label him as, thus you latch onto it?
LOL! Pick a fight much?

It's interesting the number of times he has talked about "cancel culture", or nodded along while a guest talks about it.

He's the average man's idea of a smart man. The stuff he lets go completely uncritically is amazing. It doesn't mean he can't be entertaining or doesn't work hard at what he does. But he's no genius.

Good luck to him, but if anyone thought he was ever seeking unfettered intellectual freedom for himself and others, they were mistaken.

I'd be more interested to hear what people like Sam Harris and Ricky Gervais had to say about it. Sam Harris has said he's happy that he has a business in which he is un-fireable. He can do what he likes and only his paying audience really matters. Would he give that up for $100 mil?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Engimal v3

Oppa gangnam style
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tasmania
Fairy is an offensive word? Depends on the context. With bread it’s surely in the mythical magical construct context?

tell me it’s a piz take
It was a Chaser article that NewsCorp actually fell for. It goes to show you how driven they are to produce fear in the population. They want to start a culture war any way they can, and if that means writing a story based off some random Twitter user's tweet or even a fake article then they'll do it.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
The BBC has reinstated Fawlty Towers with a health warning for anyone who might be offended. What a load of crap. Will we now get every comedy TV show and live comedy performance prefaced with a trigger content warning?

Netflix and the BBC have taken Little Britain off air. It's banned. David Walliams and Matt Lucas are still in the industry so have have had to utter the usual grovelling apologies for their sins.
Crazy times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sweet Jesus

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
LOL! Pick a fight much?

It's interesting the number of times he has talked about "cancel culture", or nodded along while a guest talks about it.

He's the average man's idea of a smart man. The stuff he lets go completely uncritically is amazing. It doesn't mean he can't be entertaining or doesn't work hard at what he does. But he's no genius.

Good luck to him, but if anyone thought he was ever seeking unfettered intellectual freedom for himself and others, they were mistaken.

I'd be more interested to hear what people like Sam Harris and Ricky Gervais had to say about it. Sam Harris has said he's happy that he has a business in which he is un-fireable. He can do what he likes and only his paying audience really matters. Would he give that up for $100 mil?
I agree with you on Joe Rogan. His best asset is bringing in experts on esoteric subjects and finding ways to make them accessible via long-form conversation. I remember he did a handful of podcasts with authors who had written extensively about the way Comanche tribes lived and hunted. It was fascinating and there's no way I'd have come across that myself.

He's also had guys on who are experts in the science of sleep and another guy who's obsessed with anti-ageing technology. They were pretty interesting. And even his interviews with Edward Snowden were quite good. Even the one with Alex Jones, with Tim Dillon riding shotgun, was so unhinged that it was mesmerising. I also quite like the ones with UFO anoraks or renowned "Atlantis experts".

But when he wades into partisan politics, he's generally out of his depth. He interviews guys who are obviously committed RWers like Ben Shapiro, Dan Crenshaw and Mike Baker and simply doesn't have the command of the details to push back on their schtick. He treats these guys as honest brokers of information, which is a mistake. He'll sit there complaining about tribalism and how the mainstream media has become too ideological while giving these guys a pass on the fact they are balls-deep in tribalism and ideological grift.

He offers the standard disclaimer that he's just a comedian and a knucklehead and no one should listen to him because he's no expert. But I'd argue that as a broadcaster he still has a responsiblity to his audience to not allow guests to mislead them unchallenged.

That said, Dave Rubin and Candace Owens were so ergregious in their bullshit that he couldn't help himself and ended up making them look quite foolish.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad