Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Idiocy on both sides of this one.

Dan Crenshaw complains non-stop about cancel culture but now he wants this lady removed from the US Olympic team. Isn't that "cancellation"? And he's on board with that. And it has nothing to do with CRT.

However, there is a reasonable point within that. Gwen Berry is trying to join the Olympic team. She is literally seeking to represent the US. No one is forcing her to do that but that goes with the territory of trying to get a spot on the Oympic team.

good point about dan

When a call from "the left" for removal or a boycott gains traction it's almost uniformly against intolerance, bullies, rapists and the like. Collective power used against people and institutions abusing power and punching down.

When a conservative call for the same gains traction, it's usually against inclusion and tolerance. Usually power trying to deny minorities a voice.

We can all point to exceptions, but this is generally the rule.

"Cancel culture" is a made-up squeal from people unaccustomed to being shut down.
This is just partisan silliness Chief.

I'm sure. But I'd suggest that's more attributable to the self made information silos we have than reality.
Post data? I'm pretty happy that my view on this is pretty close to fact. If you have a list of "cancels" categorised by political persuasion and motivation I'd be happy to read it.

The Fox news one-eyed guy is evidence in my favour.

When the English, Dutch, Portuguese , Spanish nations colonized other countries in times past they would kill & or enslave the previous inhabitants & forbid them from practicing their previous culture & religion under pain of death.

As did many other once mighty nations from times past.

Now a millionaire with a media platform losing some advertising is a victim.

Cry me a river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the English, Dutch, Portuguese , Spanish nations colonized other countries in times past they would kill & or enslave the previous inhabitants & forbid them from practicing their previous culture & religion under pain of death.

As did many other once mighty nations from times past.

Now a millionaire with a media platform losing some advertising is a victim.

Cry me a river.
Anything short of the Holocaust, people shouldn't complain.

No, I understand the bigger picture and it's historical relevance; however, I am not using that to ignore the impact of the issue of today. What has happened before is irrelevant to the people who have been affected by cancel culture today. Honestly - was what happened to April Powers wrong? If so, why isn't that the focus here?

It is very easy to pick out 1 or 2 or a handful of examples to say 'ah but is it really'.
The problem with that is that you expect consistency/uniformity from something that has no rules.
Even if there were rules, then only in a perfect world would you have consistency/uniformity.
We don't live in a perfect world, so sometimes people pay for the sins of others. (X)

There is no coming back from getting your head chopped off, it's over.
Is there coming back from getting a show cancelled, or silenced in a specific forum? Of course there is.

The people screaming from the rooftops about cancel culture would do themselves and their cause a great service if they kept their argument to (X).

It is very easy to pick out 1 or 2 or a handful of examples to say 'ah but is it really'.
The problem with that is that you expect consistency/uniformity from something that has no rules.
Even if there were rules, then only in a perfect world would you have consistency/uniformity.
We don't live in a perfect world, so sometimes people pay for the sins of others. (X)

Is there coming back from getting a show cancelled, or silenced in a specific forum? Of course there is.

The people screaming from the rooftops about cancel culture would do themselves and their cause a great service if they kept their argument to (X).
Pure waffle.

I agree that famous and we'll established people are not going to be as adversely affected by a firing at the hands of the mob, but they aren't the only people affected. Ordinary, everyday people are too, and while they may still have their heads, the punishment they get for stepping out of line (or sometimes not even that, as evidence in my example above) can be debilitating. Losing your job when you have a family to support, mortgage, etc can be crushing.

I'm not expecting uniformity or anything like that - I'm pointing out that there has been a weaponisation of social media and it's unprecedented reach to punish or silence. The compressed time we operate in now (compared to the pre-internet era) and "woke capitalism" all contribute.

Yeah, people were "cancelled" since the start of time. But it's different now; the mob know this, and they use it. Hence the term cancel culture is apropos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the cleverest things Murdoch & his ilk have managed to do is convince people that the main problem in the world is religious freedom or transsexual rights or African gangs.

Anyone that can get ordinary Australians on a footy forum shilling for Trump or spending half their life defending Murdoch’s right to poison our culture or that the real victims of society are the likes of Pell or Porter is a genius. A very evil person but undoubtedly a genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a call from "the left" for removal or a boycott gains traction it's almost uniformly against intolerance, bullies, rapists and the like. Collective power used against people and institutions abusing power and punching down.

When a conservative call for the same gains traction, it's usually against inclusion and tolerance. Usually power trying to deny minorities a voice.

We can all point to exceptions, but this is generally the rule.

"Cancel culture" is a made-up squeal from people unaccustomed to being shut down.

Really depends on your perspective. Take disrespect of the national anthem by sports people in the US, Kapernick and even the US athlete recently. The right generally will support the right to protest but not for the national anthem, the left see this as disregard for their entire issue, and against inclusion and tolerance to use your example.

Really depends on your perspective. Take disrespect of the national anthem by sports people in the US, Kapernick and even the US athlete recently. The right generally will support the right to protest but not for the national anthem, the left see this as disregard for their entire issue, and against inclusion and tolerance to use your example.
Why is the national anthem so precious? For the most part they're shitty dirges

The right see disrespect of it as disrespect for the nation overall, the left probably agree with you. (In general of course)
The right got us into a twenty year war in the Middle East that diminished every country involved in it but kneeling for the national anthem is disrespectful. It's an odd logic.

I agree that famous and we'll established people are not going to be as adversely affected by a firing at the hands of the mob, but they aren't the only people affected. Ordinary, everyday people are too, and while they may still have their heads, the punishment they get for stepping out of line (or sometimes not even that, as evidence in my example above) can be debilitating. Losing your job when you have a family to support, mortgage, etc can be crushing.

I'm not expecting uniformity or anything like that - I'm pointing out that there has been a weaponisation of social media and it's unprecedented reach to punish or silence. The compressed time we operate in now (compared to the pre-internet era) and "woke capitalism" all contribute.

Yeah, people were "cancelled" since the start of time. But it's different now; the mob know this, and they use it. Hence the term cancel culture is apropos.

You won't do those people any favours by attacking "cancel culture", it will be like a 'war on terror'...never ending against an undefinable enemy.
You won't do those people any favours simply by using emotive terms like "mob" and "weaponisation" either.

Over time 'cancel culture' will moderate itself, as it has always done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back